Oil in rear wheel arch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in rear wheel arch

i have developed a very bad "clonking" noise coming from under the surf, on investigating underneath i have found the rear most uv joint on prop shaft seems a bit dodgy (only changed it last year) but also the rear driverside wheel arch is saturated in what smells like engine oil, where could it be coming from ? (please don't say the engine !)
    Bunkle
    Fox Hunting is Dangerous

If it was an aftermarket UJ maybe it was a duff one.

The oil could be diff oil leaking out - a seal or bearing may have gone. One of my rear bearings went recently and that filled the wheel the arch and everything else under there with oil.
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Take your rear drum off & have a look, If its soaking OIL SEAL may have gone also check brake slave cylinder.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

could a wheel bearing be the culprit behind the noises too ?
        Bunkle
        Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

if the noise is continuous then maybe a wheel bearing/bronze bush.if its intermittent could be an arb banging away
          Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
            If it was an aftermarket UJ maybe it was a duff one.

The oil could be diff oil leaking out - a seal or bearing may have gone. One of my rear bearings went recently and that filled the wheel the arch and everything else under there with oil.
            thanks for the advice guys - you were absolutely right, split seal and smashed bearing, all fixed now, thanks Roughtrax for the bits, excelant service as usual
            Bunkle
            Fox Hunting is Dangerous

Comment

Originally posted by Bunkle View Post
              thanks for the advice guys - you were absolutely right, split seal and smashed bearing, all fixed now, thanks Roughtrax for the bits, excelant service as usual
              Ha, just found this. So I'm not as dull as I look!

Actually, I am.

IOTY 2007 - The Original, and Best.
              Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Working...
              X