Finally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

I got the ###### tow bar on thank god for that nightmare, i had to go to b&q this am and buy some m12 nuts and bolts as the 1's supplied are crap for the surf thats for sure, the towing hook on the back i took to a garage and they had it off in under 30 secs after they ramped her up, and is back on the rear now too

Now next question

3.5 Ton Adjuster Tow Hitch

http://www.roughtrax4x4.com/?doc=16&cid=260&vid=1141

How and where you supposed to get this thing on as it came with no instructions on how to mount it and no bigger bolts just the case

Next up is the safari snorkel i got from tony that is gonna be 1 serious ###### mission to fit

I'd have thought the adjustable hitch plate just bolts on the bar where the ball hitch goes, if it hits the bumper or owt else you'll need to spacer it out a bit, i'm after one o them and i'll have to the same, whats up with the bolts that came with it then, roughtrax stuff's suppose'd to be good! i got one of those cheapo chinese bars for £40 on ebay a while back, they wer'nt exactly a doddle to fit, had to drill some holes but for the money they were good, bolts were ok to, in fact they came with extra one's and bigguns for the hitch,
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
      I'd have thought the adjustable hitch plate just bolts on the bar where the ball hitch goes, if it hits the bumper or owt else you'll need to spacer it out a bit, i'm after one o them and i'll have to the same, whats up with the bolts that came with it then, roughtrax stuff's suppose'd to be good! i got one of those cheapo chinese bars for £40 on ebay a while back, they wer'nt exactly a doddle to fit, had to drill some holes but for the money they were good, bolts were ok to, in fact they came with extra one's and bigguns for the hitch,
      The bolts etc were no good for the chassis popeye i had to go to b&q and get some that i could fit the nuts through will take a couple of pics tomorrow and show u what i mean but 2 have to go upside down and there is nothing in the extras to bolt em in so they just sit there and the other 2 have to go the other way up as there are 2 bolts already inside each side (recovery clip i think) and they not easy to thread up either.

As for the spacer all i got was the spacer unit no bolts or anything and the 1's i have for the ball fit the tow bar fine but no way in hell long enough to go through the lot.
      Cant really fault roughtrax really as it was bought from a outside company and not fabbed up by themselves, but for £315.00 it should be a lot better so gonna phone em monday and have a chat with em bout it maybe get em to check my original link

Comment

the drop plate, you separate the two halves and bolt the larger of the two halves to the bar, then fit the ball to the smaler of the two halves, then to adjust the height you just remove the pins and slide the ball to the right height then put the pin back through when it's at the height you want it.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
          the drop plate, you separate the two halves and bolt the larger of the two halves to the bar, then fit the ball to the smaler of the two halves, then to adjust the height you just remove the pins and slide the ball to the right height then put the pin back through when it's at the height you want it.
          Cheers nero will give that a go tomorrow mate thanks for all your help in getting me to understand how to fit a tow bar

Comment

Nero just test fitted it (me being impatient) and cant see how it will fit mate the biggest part is as big as the point where you but the tow ball to

Comment

Originally posted by Retribution View Post
              Nero just test fitted it (me being impatient) and cant see how it will fit mate the biggest part is as big as the point where you but the tow ball to
              Pull the pins, bolt one half to the tow bar, bolt the tow ball/pin to the other half, put them together and put the pins back in.

This is different but you can see the principle so it might help . . .

Comment

Cheers dodge will give that a go tomorrow mate as i need to buy some m16 bolts
                to mount it, but i do see what you mean now thanks mate

Comment

The bolts etc were no good for the chassis popeye i had to go to b&q and get some
                  Will the B&Q bolts be up to the job? Thought you were supposed to use proper tensile bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                    Will the B&Q bolts be up to the job? Thought you were supposed to use proper tensile bolts?
                    Yes mate they worked a treat and the tow bar is on and secured up with em and have driven without any issues. they are £1.20 each bolt and then a pack of nuts at £1.69 for 10 the spacers were ok to use though.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                      As long as they are grade 8.8 they will be ok.

Just check them though, as you do come across grade 4.8 and 5.8 on cheaper bolts. Also make sure they are not 12.9 grade as these are not suitable for applications where there may be shock loading.
                      Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny77 View Post
                        As long as they are grade 8.8 they will be ok.

Just check them though, as you do come across grade 4.8 and 5.8 on cheaper bolts. Also make sure they are not 12.9 grade as these are not suitable for applications where there may be shock loading.
                        Always woundered what 8.8 was for stamped on the heads of the bolts

learn something every day
                        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Mine don't have any stamps on em (B&Q) but the rough trax set do but have no nuts to screw em tight and don't say they come with em either on instructions.
                          The nut set i have from B&Q only fit there bolts and not the 1's from rough trax stamped 8.8

But to fit the side brackets and spacers to the chassis you need at least 4 nuts to attach it, whereas the 2 holes closest to the end chassis which i think are for the recovery holes and they have 2 nuts inside chassis ready to screw em in
                          Last edited by Retribution; 27 April 2008, 23:46.

Comment

Mine don't have any stamps on em (B&Q) but the rough trax set do but have no nuts to screw em tight and don't say they come with em either on instructions.
                            The nut set i have from B&Q only fit there bolts and not the 1's from rough trax stamped 8.8

But to fit the side brackets and spacers to the chassis you need at least 4 nuts to attach it, whereas the 2 holes closest to the end chassis which i think are for the recovery holes and they have 2 nuts inside chassis ready to screw em in
                            What size did you buy from B&Q then? The ones that screw into the chassis are M12 x 1.25 which is an extra fine pitch. Standard M12 coarse is 1.75mm pitch which is probably what you have bought.
                            You wont be able to buy these bolts from DIY stores, you will need a decent hardware store or fastener place.
                            If the bolts you have fitted are ungraded, then I would not be trusting them. You need to replace them with 8.8 grades that have been manufactured to meet the kind of stresses a towbar will inflict.
                            Ebay search item 230357761354 !

Comment

Working...
                            X