Well Hi There Everybody.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well Hi There Everybody.

NEWBOY ON THE BLOCK WITH HIS FIRST POST.
    Well i hope you guys can all help me . brought myself a hilux surf 2.4 turbo dielsel auto 1993 machine the other day . So Cheap i couldnt say no !!.
    Its the first 4 wheel drive toyota ive owned. Ive previously owned and off roaded landrovers , suzuki jeeps , etc etc. Dirtbikes and basically anything that will go off road !!! Greenlaing & seriouse off roading .
    Now comfort wise its very good ( armchair ) and being autos they can only do what they can do but the real problem is fuel . It seems to drink it . Ive obvieusly checked for fuel leaks air filter and injector cleaner etc etc . But it still mega thirsty. My Driving Colleague has a standard ( Well Sought Of ) landrover 2.5 tdi Discovery on the same sought of age and he nearly doubles mine on Fuel Usage . I maybe 20 - 25 Mpg at a real push trying as hard as posible not to use the turbo light but thats not possible some times.
    So please help a virgin with his new toy otherwise it will have to sell !! And another Landrover it shall be !!! ????
    Many thanks .

Hello and welcome - or beit briefly perhaps....

The Surf wasn't designed to be frugal on fuel, the 2.4 and 3.0 oil burners will return in the region of 22-26 mpg, but with the aero dynamic properties of a house, and just over 2 tonnes being pushed about I wouldn't expect much more.

Put that against a Trooper, Pajero/Shogun, Land Rover etc of similar engine size, age etc and you'll see roughly the same results. If your mate's LR is giving him 40+ mpg, I want one - cos I'll take it to some science museam as an exibit.....

The Surf is very capable, auto or manual, I prefer auto offroad, one less thing to think about, very comfortable on long or short journeys, and VERY reliable - particulaly compared to the above stable mates.....

So - not sure what you want from the car, but if it's great gas mileage, better get a 206 diesel.....ours does over 50 mpg...

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/...del=417&page=3
    Last edited by MudSurfer; 24 April 2008, 10:05.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Ya Seriosly

If i Put Say £10 in my hilux i do 43 Miles to empty !
      If i put say £10 in discovery it 60-65 miles to empty ! Its quite surprising !

Comment

Originally posted by Lozninja View Post
        As Mudsurfer said, then un-said for some reason, are you sure your odometer is in miles? It's in KM as standard.

Comment

What is empty, is it when the vehicle conks out ? When it "looks" empty? when the orange light comes on ?

Fuel gauges are not prized for their accuracy and if going by the gauges its comparing apples to oranges

Bogus
          Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
            If your mate's LR is giving him 40+ mpg, I want one - cos I'll take it to some science museam as an exibit.....
            That's what I was thinking. There is a whiff of something in the air, methinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
              As Mudsurfer said, then un-said for some reason, are you sure your odometer is in miles? It's in KM as standard.
              That would make matters even worse. 43KM is 27M.
              Paul </Slugsie>
              Immortal.so far!

Comment

I think Everyones Getting Confused

Im not interested in what you believe and i'm not trying to get into disagreement with anyone ! Been doing this for many years now But what i am asking is that if you guys put £ 20 pounds of diesel in your surf hilux 2.4 what mileage are you getting Before the light comes on ( Yes on flat ground and yes on an english speedo and yes with the Handbrake of etc etc. )
                Many thanks

Comment

Use the search facility. That's what it's there for, and the question gets asked and answered more times than one can shake a stick at.

Comment

They're not all difficult, pedantic buggers on here .....

The trouble is that the question is fairly subjective so you'll get a wide spread - 25-30 mpg is the usual response (and that actually applies to the 2.4, 3.0 and the 3.0 intercooled).

I doubt very much if anybody has figures produced using your stated conditions though !

BTW - Welcome to the asylum - just remember that the guys (and gals) in the white coats are inmates too .......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

I manage between 22 and 25. 3.0 with mud tyres.

The 2.4 is either the same, or a little bit worse depending on who you talk to. Dont check the 'for sale' section as you'll find all the ones for sale do 30-40mpg!

Hey Matt, you out-Meldrewed me there.
                      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                        That would make matters even worse. 43KM is 27M.
                        Oh yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                          Oh yeah.
                          That's why I deleted my post - got my maths backwards.....
                          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Really !!!!!!
                            I want one... I want one ....
                            Ya must be joking me .....

No ta, I'll be sticking to me Trusty Toy !!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin tho !!!!
                            Buncefield Burner

Comment

Im not interested in what you believe and i'm not trying to get into disagreement with anyone ! Been doing this for many years now But what i am asking is that if you guys put £ 20 pounds of diesel in your surf hilux 2.4 what mileage are you getting Before the light comes on ( Yes on flat ground and yes on an english speedo and yes with the Handbrake of etc etc. )
                              Many thanks
                              Can't answer your question on English speedos, I was unaware they are different from the Japanese ones.

My Japanese one says I get about 21mpg.
                              Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Working...
                              X