Rights of way

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rights of way

A letter in this months TOR got me thinking. It regarded going off piste when green-laning, and how it gives ammo to trail users who would like to see us banned.

There have been times when I've been laning when the lure of a challenging bit of ground not strictly on the route has drawn me and others, but in hindsight, and given the scrutiny we are under by the ramblers association, this was a bad thing - and again, with hindsight, I'm not proud of it.

Given that this is a public forum viewable by anyone, and 'anyone' probably includes said association and other anti-4x4 groups, and given that there are a number of well publicised trips this year including 'Wrong Way Round' and 'RTTS' can I ask that we try to be inscrutable when we are out and about on the trails?

We've already lost Sarn Helen, one of our favorite welsh lanes recently, and the pressure is on so it is likely we'll lose more. I know I've transgressed in the past, but wont again. Lets not give them ANY more ammo.

Oh, and join GLASS.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

For once i agree with you Andy

It's been boiling me blood to see an increasing number of pictures in various off-road / 4x4 magazines over the last few months, clearly showing people off the RoW, maybe only by a few feet - but that's exactly the pictures that the anti's want to see, people parked waving a wheel up on a rock on the edge of a lane or car park at the start or end, or one i can think of was someone on an otherwise flat lane clearly driven into the heather for the photo. Is it just me or has it been getting more regular, has anyone else noticed it?

On a related subject I was reading an interesting article in LandRover Enthusiast only this morning, i'll try to find a copy i can put up for everyone to read.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

I agree with you Andy.Down here we haven't got many lanes so if i take people out its in groups of 6 max and last year we were confronted by some people doing a fun run out near St Just and most of them were ok but we stopped to let everyone go pass and we got abuse from a couple that stopped also.It was so tempting to have a go back but then we're only lowering ourselves to their standards.We pointed out we were on a public byway and entitled to be there,then we were called all the usual names gas guzzlers etc so we just said to look at the sticker on the rear of the truck which then shut them up.
      There are 2 lanes which we go on that locals said we can use as its a cut thru for all the local 4x4er's.We have used these lanes and have spoken also to the land owners on our way thru and they just smile and wave now as we go thru.
      So the thing is also to hold back on giving a mouthful back as we did that way there's no come back on us although we were in the right anyway
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I've been a GLASS member for two years, and always try to keep to the right of way, not just because it's the only place to drive, but also cos I'm too much of a wuss to go through some of the more challenging stuff....

But Andy, you are absolutely right (and I read the same bit). Let's do our bit, on all laning trips, and anyone who goes out for a day, do it properly and give noone the chance to have a go. And as the article says, if you want to go muplugging, go to a site, pay your money and have your fun - not on the lanes.....please!
        Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Good post Andy, I been bitchin' about it for awhile now.

Stay on the lanes, or stay away.

It one of the reasons I've stopped going to the plains and stuff. Its very uncomfortable seeing 40 meter wide areas of wheel ruts, and people using it like a pay and play site.

Glass may have their faults, but are one of not many groups with a public voice
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Just a bump cos I'd like people to consider it seriously and about it with all the outings happening soon. Cheers!
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

yep its happening everywhere
              theres loads of places that i wont go to no more just coz i dont want blameing for the state of it
              like what being said on here the 40 meter wide rutts
              its got that bad around here with off roading
              that even ower police force have got 4x4 and dirt bikes
              its a utter shame that we get put in the same class has these unlawful off roaders
              well i know i can say iam not guilty of non of the above
              but i have been forced off the road a few times by 1 angery farmer that is taking something out of me?
              i have had the abuse of the tree hugers stuff thrown at my surf
              scratch's down my car (like it bothers me)
              it is a growing concern for all of us
              some place's i go are very friendly now they seen me a few times
              others take a dim view no matter what
              i like others try my best to keep up the good work that most of us green laners do
              but there will all ways be a few that do has they please regardless

would it stop if there were more legal sites to go too ???
              am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Seems fairly moot raising this point, to be honest. If someone doesn't have the common sense, courtesy and just downright general decency to respect other peoples property and/or the countryside without being prodded, I doubt bringing the subject up will make one jot of difference to their lack of respect/gumption.

Comment

But better said out in the open than assumed, if only for the eco-nazi's spying on 4x4 sites. Plus at least anyone here who has leanings toward abusing the lanes, if only through igorance, can hopefully take a hint.

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  Seems fairly moot raising this point, to be honest. If someone doesn't have the common sense, courtesy and just downright general decency to respect other peoples property and/or the countryside without being prodded, I doubt bringing the subject up will make one jot of difference to their lack of respect/gumption.
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Rights of way

Having bought my Surf recently and been on my first greenlaning trip a couple of weeks ago its been interesting to hear how many negative comments I have had back from friends I've told about it along the obvious lines that I'm sure you've all heard before.

Its a very easy one for the anti's to win with many people as our lovely 'gas guzzlers' (though hopefully not for long- first little batch of biodiesel made just today) are not exactly flavour of the month as it stands. So its frustrating to hear of some playing so easily into the antis hands by acting exactly as they would expect.

So, hats off to you guys for the public mention and trying to keep everyone on the straight and narrow/muddy/bumpy/rocky.

Anyway, I'm off to join GLASS!

pnuk

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                      A letter in this months TOR got me thinking. It regarded going off piste when green-laning, and how it gives ammo to trail users who would like to see us banned.

There have been times when I've been laning when the lure of a challenging bit of ground not strictly on the route has drawn me and others, but in hindsight, and given the scrutiny we are under by the ramblers association, this was a bad thing - and again, with hindsight, I'm not proud of it.

Given that this is a public forum viewable by anyone, and 'anyone' probably includes said association and other anti-4x4 groups, and given that there are a number of well publicised trips this year including 'Wrong Way Round' and 'RTTS' can I ask that we try to be inscrutable when we are out and about on the trails?

We've already lost Sarn Helen, one of our favorite welsh lanes recently, and the pressure is on so it is likely we'll lose more. I know I've transgressed in the past, but wont again. Lets not give them ANY more ammo.

Oh, and join GLASS.
                      yep was a good letter. this months roadbook is near me (FOR ONCE!!!) so i might give it a go in the near future.
                      Tim
                      Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                        But better said out in the open than assumed, if only for the eco-nazi's spying on 4x4 sites. Plus at least anyone here who has leanings toward abusing the lanes, if only through igorance, can hopefully take a hint.

well said
                        SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

Definitely in agreement with all the above points,

Cheers, Nick
                          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
                          X