Clear All

• reply on the veg oil price hike

Mr Ian Price
    By email: ian.price90@ntlworld.com

Our ref Epic/enq/e/29734 Direct line 08457 22 44 99
    Date 10 April 2008 Fax (020) 7211 8391

Email Enquiries@oft.gsi.gov.uk

Dear Mr Price,

Thank you for your email dated 2 April regarding Sainsbury’s and Tesco’s recent increases in price for vegetable oil from £2.21 to £2.98 for a three litre bottle.

By way of background the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is responsible for making markets work well for consumers. We achieve this by promoting and protecting consumer interests throughout the UK, while ensuring that businesses are fair and competitive. Our primary duties include the enforcement of competition law, and the application of consumer protection legislation in respect of matters that adversely affect the collective interests of UK consumers. We also have a role in educating consumers, government and business, and taking informal action where appropriate. For more information on the work we carry out please visit our website at www.oft.gov.uk.

The main law covering competition in the UK is the Competition Act 1998 (the Act). In brief the Act contains two prohibitions. The Chapter I prohibition prohibits agreements, decisions or concerted practices between individual or organisations if they prevent, restrict or distort competition to an appreciable extent. The Chapter II prohibition prohibits abusive conduct by one or more businesses if they hold a dominant position within a relevant market within the UK. We have published guidelines on the OFT application of the Act, which can be downloaded from our website.

In general, the price that a business sets for a particular product or service is a matter for its own commercial judgement. The OFT does not have a role as long as prices are not arrived at by agreement, or do not reflect an abuse of a dominant position or anti-competitive practices in the UK. Further, there is no legislation that provides the OFT with the power to directly regulate prices of products within a competitive market.

The fact that some supermarkets are charging the same or similar prices for vegetable oil and have increased their prices at the same time does not, of itself, provide evidence of anti-competitive behaviour There are many instances where prices and price movements are similar between suppliers in a competitive market, such as in response to changing market conditions.

Our research indicates that food prices generally have increased in the UK and globally. With regards to vegetable oil there has been particular upward pressure on the price of cereal crop products and their derivatives. There have been significant shortfalls in production of oil seed in the EU coupled with increasing global demand for crops, such as rapeseed, for use in industrial processes, such as the production of bio diesel, and as animal feed. Overall the global demand for oil seed crops has outstripped supply and prices have risen. For further information on these issues we would refer you to the Home Grown Cereals Authority report on world oil seed at the link below.

The above being the case, there is no action the OFT could take on this matter under the Act. We appreciate the time you have taken in bringing this matter to our attention. Our intention, at this time, not to make further enquiries into this complaint does not preclude the OFT from revisiting the matter should further information come to our attention.

I hope this information proves helpful.

Yours sincerely

Philip Butcher
    Philip Butcher
    Enquiries and Preliminary Investigations

in short! tough $hit
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

KTC Veg oil in Macro was a whisker under £19 for 20L today. At that price its simply not worth the aggro over diesel.
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

That's the same dross I got today
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

What's wrong with that? You all bought loads so they put the price up. That's how the market works

Comment

There's a difference between putting the price up and hammering the comsumer with 33% price rises

Comment

think lots of peolpe got the same reply......

Comment

same reply word for word cept my name

Comment

Originally posted by paul_mac View Post
                think lots of peolpe got the same reply......
                yeah it's the standard reply automaton, these consumer "watchdog" orgs are a complete f##kin waste of space, the whole bunch are riddled with graft, along with the government (s) it's a load of bolloks, i simply dont believe the actual cost of producing these oils has risen anywhere near the ammount these supermarkets are hikeing it, it's profieteering plain and simple with a dam good back hander to the treasurey, always been the same, whichever bunch is in power,

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                  KTC Veg oil in Macro was a whisker under £19 for 20L today. At that price its simply not worth the aggro over diesel.
                  I have not used SVO for months now, it's just not worth the hassle for the very small amount of money saved.
                  I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                    There's a difference between putting the price up and hammering the comsumer with 33% price rises
                    Yeah, sorry, the reply wasn't meant to be that short and blunt but my boss came over for a 'chat'.

I do sympathise with you all, and think the thing about supply is b0llocks, but you can understand the shops doing it. In short, the Government removed the tax for using it as fuel, the supermarkets knew that the price plus tax was what you were all willing to pay for it so are putting the price up towards the previous level (including the tax) because they know there's a market up there.

At least whe it was taxed, the money went to the treasury to spend on missiles to fire aimlessly into Arabia. Now it all goes into Mr Tesco's wallet to spend on new shoes for Mrs Tesco.

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
                      I have not used SVO for months now, it's just not worth the hassle for the very small amount of money saved.
                      Me neither, apart from the used stuff i get for nowt now and again, it aint worth the bother, and after me doing all the two tank work,

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
                        Yeah, sorry, the reply wasn't meant to be that short and blunt but my boss came over for a 'chat'.

I do sympathise with you all, and think the thing about supply is b0llocks, but you can understand the shops doing it. In short, the Government removed the tax for using it as fuel, the supermarkets knew that the price plus tax was what you were all willing to pay for it so are putting the price up towards the previous level (including the tax) because they know there's a market up there.

At least whe it was taxed, the money went to the treasury to spend on missiles to fire aimlessly into Arabia. Now it all goes into Mr Tesco's wallet to spend on new shoes for Mrs Tesco.

All they've done is kill the golden goose, and they'll do it with fuel too soon, feck 'em all
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Was at local Asda doing weekly shop, decided to get some veggie oil.99p per litre!!!! in the 3ltr bottles. Worked out if I bought 45 litres I'd save £5 woop-dee-sodding-doo. Not worth the hassle these days
                          Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

With this bit of news I have asked them to look again at my complaint

Cross fingers

Comment

i went to morrisons this morning and the cheapest rapeseed oil was 89p/p/l which is the cheapest i've seen it around here for ages
                              https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Working...
                              X