Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• am i ok with 5 nuts?

Eh up,

Just had a slow puncture fixed on a back tyre and one of the nuts wouldn't come off easily. once off we could see that the stud and nut are well mashed up.

tyre got fixed, but we could not get the nut back on, nor any other nut due to the stud being muller'd. am i ok rolling round for a short while with 5 studs on the back of 1 wheel? how easy is it to replace the buggered stud?

cheers,

Martin

ps. doing as search as we speak on the replacement of stud
    Just trying to raise my postcount!

hi you should be ok with just 5 studs. if you om me your address i got a stud i can send you

Comment

Originally posted by sledge View Post
      hi you should be ok with just 5 studs. if you om me your address i got a stud i can send you
      Does that make you a mail pimp?????
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Originally posted by B16mts View Post
        Eh up,

Just had a slow puncture fixed on a back tyre and one of the nuts wouldn't come off easily. once off we could see that the stud and nut are well mashed up.

tyre got fixed, but we could not get the nut back on, nor any other nut due to the stud being muller'd. am i ok rolling round for a short while with 5 studs on the back of 1 wheel? how easy is it to replace the buggered stud?

cheers,

Martin

ps. doing as search as we speak on the replacement of stud
        Should be OK for a short while. The process of getting to where you can get the studs out/in is similar to what you have to go through to change the bearings:

Remove wheel, undo brake pipe, undo handbrake cable, undo 4 nuts, pull drum and half-shaft out, remove retaining collar etc. (search 'Shade tree method' ). You should now have it all apart, and be able to tap the studs out.

Basically, if you have any doubts about the bearing, it's worth doing the job now as you'll have it all apart anyway.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
          Does that make you a mail pimp?????
          yep lmao

Comment

sorry forget what i said about the stud read it wrong i got a nut you can have. lol. you could always try and rethread it

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
              Should be OK for a short while. The process of getting to where you can get the studs out/in is similar to what you have to go through to change the bearings:

Remove wheel, undo brake pipe, undo handbrake cable, undo 4 nuts, pull drum and half-shaft out, remove retaining collar etc. (search 'Shade tree method' ). You should now have it all apart, and be able to tap the studs out.

Basically, if you have any doubts about the bearing, it's worth doing the job now as you'll have it all apart anyway.
              you sure? I just removed drum and tapped mine out with a few hammer blows.

back in a mo, need to check to see if my memory is serving me well.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                you sure? I just removed drum and tapped mine out with a few hammer blows.

back in a mo, need to check to see if my memory is serving me well.
                Oh, hang on, you could be right. I may be getting confused with the front ones.
                Paul </Slugsie>
                Immortal.so far!

Comment

Yup I was right, just take the drum off and whack with a hammer.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=38783
                  Alan

Comment

mine passed mot last year with one missing and done alot of offroading with one missing but failed mot this year with it missing so i thought it was time to put another on.15min to take one from breaker and fit onto mine so not to bad
                    https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                      mine passed mot last year with one missing and done alot of offroading with one missing but failed mot this year with it missing so i thought it was time to put another on.15min to take one from breaker and fit onto mine so not to bad
                      It'll be OK with 5. The tester will have missed it last year, a missing wheel stud/nut is a fail. I have one missing, but jammed a nut in the hole for its MoT.
                      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

You may find you have Wheel balancing issues up until you get the new nuts on.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                        (")_(")

Comment

Mine is stil jammed in there, 2 weeks after the test.
                          Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by marky View Post
                            You may find you have Wheel balancing issues up until you get the new nuts on.
                            I don't go fast enough for that to be an issue.
                            Alan

Comment

I've been OK with 2 nuts for 40 odd years. I'm sure you'll be OK with 5.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                              X