Pondering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pondering

Hi guys,this is my first post so hello everybodyIm currently looking for another motor ,ive had 2 landrovers a disco and a 90 and although the 90 is a good offroader its not much good for anything else!,and the disco just fell to bits so Ive had it with the green oval!I really like the look of the surf/4 runner but ive heard stories that they are pants offroad,I like to do some serious greenlaning and pay and play days and im just wondering if these things ive heard are true?is the rear overhang a problem?does the front suspension(torsion bars) cause a problem with articulation?,I would like to lift it and put 33" tyres on,can I do this?where do I get offroad bits from?I have looked at so many rusty landrovers and they all look as if they wouldnt last 5 minutes before they fell to bits!!my budget is gonna be 2-3k im not botherd about shiny bits but I want a motor thats gonna do the job and i dont want to get slated by my mates (who all drive defenders)when i get stuck!!!!....cheers

Hello Pike, welcome on board, enjoy your stay.
    Some 'experts' will along shortly to tell you what to get, but only take advice from the Scotish members though, they do proper off-roading.

p.s. Woodzie (Biohazzard) will tell you how to break a Surf.

Comment

cheers fella

Comment

£3K will get you most 3.0TD 2nd Gen Surfs, but 33's need 4-5" of lift, and will add to the cost depending on how you lift it unless you find one with it done.

Rear overhang is not much longer than a Disco. With lifts and good tyres it becomes less of a problem. Or even bin the rear bumper and make a tube one.

Front articulation sucks compared to a solid axle truck, but with decent tyres and a bit of momentum its not normally a issue 90% of the time. But does mean you can drive to the offroad sites in comfort for a change, and because its a Toyota, you'll drive home again (unless its Woodzie!)
        4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Welcome to the site.

Surfs are great off-road. They'll do everything that a Disco can do, plus you stand a chance of driving home with all the bits still attached and working.

Remember, there is a reason why when Toyota (and Nissan) hit the Australian market they totally destroyed LRs market share virtually over-night.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

if your wanting a 2nd gen 3l then i know a forum member selling his and its already got the 33's and 5" of lift and he's asking about the 3k mark for it
            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
              if your wanting a 2nd gen 3l then i know a forum member selling his and its already got the 33's and 5" of lift and he's asking about the 3k mark for it
              you or yoshie?

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                you or yoshie?
                no not me but another forum member down here
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

I'd bet the ones who told you they were "pants" offroad were all driving Landys huh?

Anyhoo, they are brilliant in the mud.

Heres yoshies truck giving the tricky pipe crossing at Drumclog a right good seeing to.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...atsthepipe.flv
                  Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

yeah they are all landy owners,well ive just watched the videos and those that told me surfs were a shile of pite are all talking out of there ar**s.......hmmm might get one yet!!!! where do you get suspension lifts from?procomp?...are there any other bits available for em?steering guards,diff guards,winch bumpers?,rock sliders?snorkels?...........ch eers lads

Comment

Welcome to the nut house .....beware the squirrel

I only break mine cos i am a bit of a loon ......but i have always got it home for repairs. There are alot of add ons available from cheap lifts (land cruiser springs) to bespoke parts made by surfenstein . Tony (4x4toys) is your best man for shocks (procomp and tjm) snorkels etc......

' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Ian tell the whole Truth ....
                        Yes ya do break em !!!! n ya only have to cross the plain to get back home un like the rest us ...... We drive home !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
                        Buncefield Burner

Comment

Working...
                        X