The spare wheel is getting in my hair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The spare wheel is getting in my hair

Yes it's a 3rd gen problem. The spare gets in the way of hitching up the trailer. Can I get the bits to put it underneath in the well provided? If so does anyone have them?

Would a Body Lift clear more space??
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

What's the problem ?

I can hitch up my caravan with a rear mounted spare without any trouble

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Q: Do you alter your tyre pressures to drive off road?

If your answer is No, then you do not need to carry a spare! Most new performance vehicles do not have a spare and instead have a can of tyre mousse.
        When I had my LR D90, I took the spare off the back as it was destroying the rear door. On road (95% of the time) I just had a can of the Mousse, and only carry a spare on an off road trip.

It came in very handy doing the Ebble Vally Rondanee once, as some scroat put spikes in the ruts and I (as well as 30 others) got 3 holes in each of the front and rear off side tyres, but I was able to carry on as I put the spare on one and mousse in the other!

Mark.........
        Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

I've had the same problem with some horse trailers; they usually get impinged on the trailers handbrake

The only common thread is that its usually the older trailers that cause the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by langtounboy View Post
            I've had the same problem with some horse trailers; they usually get impinged on the trailers handbrake

The only common thread is that its usually the older trailers that cause the problem.
            Not true, i have a 1 yr old sbs r21600b boat trailer and bent the hand brake last year. That was before i had the lift done. Clears it a treat now.
            http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

how much more clearance do you need? and in what direction, horizontal or vertical? would a 1" or 1.5" spacer between the towball and tow bar be enough?
              =========
              =SOLD UP!=
              =========

Comment

The lock handle on the trailer ball hitch jams on the spare, so you have partly open the wheel mount and then it sometimes is difficult to get it closed again past the jockey-wheel handle. This depends on the slope.

Putting the spare underneath would be fine, I could always put it back if I need to.

Comment

a drop plate to lower the towball by an inch or two? Or is this gonna throw the trailer balance out, does the trailer sit level on the surf now or is it nose up a little? If it's nose up a drop plate should balance the trailer better aswell as giving you a little more clearance.

Are the 3rd gen winches for the underslung spare the same as 2nd? If they're not you may have a hard time finding one, there ain't that many 3rd gens about with underslung spare.
                  =========
                  =SOLD UP!=
                  =========

Comment

Thanks
                    A drop plate might do it, but it would have to be quite a drop!

Comment

How about an adjustable hitch?
                      Attached Files
                      http://www.apspropertyfix.co.uk/

Comment

Mount the spare on the trailer.

Comment

Working...
                        X