Looks like the END

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks like the END

I was hit by a little mazda RX7 on thursday night. The Mazda was pretty well totalled, and mine looked fine at first, but the pointy front of the Mazda had gone in under the back bumper, and pushed the back right wheel forward.

It's wrecked the rear suspension mounts, and I think the rear axle is slightly distorted, so I recon that given the low value of an old 2.4 it's going to be a write off. To add insult to injury, The other driver says I pulled out on him (actualy I did but I wasn't expecting him to appear out the spray at about twice the speed limit) As there are no witnesses and was no police investigation the insurance are basically saying it'll go knock for knock, so there goes a very big excess.

Under other circumstances I might think about buying it back, but with a new baby due in a fortnight, and given that I was struggling with feul costs anyway, it looks like this is the end.

It's a great shame. the car was 16 years old, and had done 175,000 miles, 103,000 of them in the three and a half years since I got it, includig a fair bit of towing, and it's run like a dream. It was still running lovely when it drove up the ramps onto the recovery vehicle.

I've really enjoyed the car, and although I've never been a very regular poster, I've had a lot of help on this forum, so thanks chaps.

Dave

Bummmer mate, surely if he runs into the back of you he is to blame.

you could always do a deal with insurance to get it back cheap and fix it. plenty of trucks breaking to source bits.
    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

shame !!! but make the motherfooker pay for new surf,
      Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

dont forget with buy back it should be at 10%of their valuation,ie they say 2 grand,u get truck at 1800 quid,speak to stormy he is breakin a nice one that was running fine..................but beware some insurance companies are makin write offs cat a so u cant buy back,just check first

Comment

Sadly there's no chance of me doing a buy back. Like I said, new kid on the way, I need to get back on the road and I don't have somewhere to keep a wreck until I have a chance to look at it.

Looks like its sensible car time for me for a year or two till the wife goes back to work then maybe I can afford a small car for work and a silly car for the weekend.

Comment

Do NOT admit to pulling out in front of him!!!! A vehicle should never be going fast enough not to be able to stop within a safe distance of whatever is in front - NO EXCUSES. Hire a lawyer, and have him!
            Live like ur gonna die, because ur gonna

Comment

bang

have you been to the doctors yet about your WHIPLASH ???

Comment

Nope. I dont believe in hiring lawyers, it might encourage them. seriously, whilst its a all pretty annoying, I've not got much to gain by making a fuss. I've got a protected no claims.

If I could get him to admit liability then all I would gain is my excess, I'd still have no truck and the insurance company trying to give me a ridiculously low payout. The other chap almost certainly does not have a protected no claims, and is a youngster with a newish sporty car written off. His insurance will be about the same as the national debt of a small african country.

I just need to make sure I get a decent valuation from the insurers and get it out the way.

Comment

bummer mate - what sort of car are you going for?
                  Tim
                  Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by White Russian View Post
                    Dave is a honest, nice guy, not some backstabbing weasel.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

whoops, accidental repeat post.
                      Last edited by Medieval Dave; 27 March 2008, 22:29.

Comment

and is a youngster with a newish sporty car
                        Man the odds are so much in your favour!!

Absolutely!!!! I knew a guy who got £3k once for nothing! bet that'd sure help out - would just have to wear a collar about for a week or two lol.
                        Also I knocked (grazed!) someone once, and they claimed whiplash - even though the dent was less than I could have done with my fist!
                        have him, have him, have him I say. Insurance companies just play games and do deals with each other, and will get away with whatever they can - most of the time it works too. It's just circumstancial - would have been different if someone had died I bet. Insurers would have been moving their ass then.
                        Last edited by Snorkel; 27 March 2008, 22:33.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtydog View Post
                          bummer mate - what sort of car are you going for?

The missus has a little Astra, but would find it usefull to have a people carrier. so I'm thinking of getting a Galaxy or a Sharran that she would like, and then in a year or too I can pass it on and have an excuse to buy a new toy.

I need a pretty big vehicle for camping.

Comment

zafira ??
                            Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

zafira ??
                              perleeease! - Chrysler Grand Voyager! You could have a party in the back of that!

Comment

Working...
                              X