The first of two winches fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first of two winches fitted

Well i finally got the first winch fitted to my transporter/trailer this evening.

It's a 12,000lb winch from Extreme Terrain (part of the Champion group) so it should pull pretty much anything.

All i need to do now is get the other one fitted to the Surf
    Attached Files

Tidy looking trailer mate what you dragging around?
    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
      Tidy looking trailer mate what you dragging around?
      I originally bought the trailer to take my SJ to pay days,so i was garanteed to get home after(even if the SJ died)

It had to have a minimum bed width of 6ft to get the SJ on it as it has a 5ft 9" wheel span.

the Sj has been garaged for the last 12 months but the trailer has been used for break downs and vehicle deliveries nearly every day. Yesterday i pulled one of my Surf's up to Manchester for an engine re-build

I can legally put upto 3.5t on it and it gets pulled buy a Surf

Cheers
      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger View Post
        I originally bought the trailer to take my SJ to pay days,so i was garanteed to get home after(even if the SJ died)

It had to have a minimum bed width of 6ft to get the SJ on it as it has a 5ft 9" wheel span.

the Sj has been garaged for the last 12 months but the trailer has been used for break downs and vehicle deliveries nearly every day. Yesterday i pulled one of my Surf's up to Manchester for an engine re-build

I can legally put upto 3.5t on it and it gets pulled buy a Surf

Cheers
        Paul
        be carefull!!,the new tacho laws state that complete train weight over 3.5t has to have tacho!

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
          be carefull!!,the new tacho laws state that complete train weight over 3.5t has to have tacho!
          good shout!

and it makes sense.......

are you feeling well BDT?
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
            good shout!

and it makes sense.......

are you feeling well BDT?
            lol yes ty,just one of things i know much about!,i work for the biggest independant recovery firm in the country!

Comment

good advice though mate, I heard that a while ago.
              Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                good advice though mate, I heard that a while ago.
                well its def true,from our sussex yard we run 20 ish trucks,and its become a pita,i remember few years back doin brighton to aberdeen in 16 hours!,now anything over 3.5t has to be 56mph,i just hate,hence now workin in office/yard

Comment

Nice job Paul

There's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

what are you doing with the power for the winch on the trailer? Is it gonna have it's own battery installed on a caravan sort of circuit - extra electrics plug and split charge or what you doing with it?
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                      what are you doing with the power for the winch on the trailer? Is it gonna have it's own battery installed on a caravan sort of circuit - extra electrics plug and split charge or what you doing with it?
                      Have already run the extra cable from the upgraded batteries on the surf and they run olong the chassis and has a 400amp quick connector attached to the towbar. I did think about using the split charge/caravan hook-up but decided that the extra weight of the winch was enough without the extra batteries.
                      Tried it out last nite on my dead SJ and with the surf running on "idle-up" it worked perfectly well.

Cheers
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Artful_dodger View Post
                        Have already run the extra cable from the upgraded batteries on the surf and they run olong the chassis and has a 400amp quick connector attached to the towbar. I did think about using the split charge/caravan hook-up but decided that the extra weight of the winch was enough without the extra batteries.
                        Tried it out last nite on my dead SJ and with the surf running on "idle-up" it worked perfectly well.

Cheers
                        Paul
                        Fair enough then, that's actually the way i was gonna suggest doing it if it wasn't already wired I wasn't sure whether the split charge caravan system would actually keep the batteries topped up well enough. I wanna fit some sort of high current external socket on the rear somewhere, don't want it as low down as the bumper and don't want wires that thick flexing every time i open the tailgate. Got any details on the connector you used?
                        =========
                        =SOLD UP!=
                        =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                          Fair enough then, that's actually the way i was gonna suggest doing it if it wasn't already wired I wasn't sure whether the split charge caravan system would actually keep the batteries topped up well enough. I wanna fit some sort of high current external socket on the rear somewhere, don't want it as low down as the bumper and don't want wires that thick flexing every time i open the tailgate. Got any details on the connector you used?
                          These are the connectors i got from the same people as i got the winch,they also provided the extra battery cable.The connectors are available in various sizes and ampages
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                            Does that include private use? eg not for gain (paid work)?
                            I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven View Post
                              Does that include private use? eg not for gain (paid work)?
                              yep,anything over 3.5t

Comment

Working...
                              X