Excessive Oil Usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excessive Oil Usage

Just been on another car forum (won't say which one, don't want anyone to kick off ) and a guy on there took his newish car back to the main dealer as he was topping up a litre of oil every 3000 miles.

The dealer told him that as long as it was not using more than a litre every 600 miles it was within the manufacturers spec!

I'd be having heart failure if my 6 month old car was using a litre of oil every 600 miles!
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
    Just been on another car forum (won't say which one, don't want anyone to kick off ) and a guy on there took his newish car back to the main dealer as he was topping up a litre of oil every 3000 miles.

The dealer told him that as long as it was not using more than a litre every 600 miles it was within the manufacturers spec!

I'd be having heart failure if my 6 month old car was using a litre of oil every 600 miles!
    I'd be giving the sales manager of the stealership heart failure if my 6 month old car was using a litre every 3000 mile
    Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Some cars use oil, some don't. Turbo engines will use more through blow by from the piston cooling sprays and from the turbo bearings, V-Tec engines lose some due to the hydraulics in the cams etc.

What type of car was it?

My old civic used about a litre every 1500 - 2000 miles, no leaks and no visible burning. Shirley's Skoda doesn't lose a drop from one year to the next.
      Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
        What type of car was it?
        A 57 plate BMW E92 318.

He didn't say if it was petrol or diesel. General concensus of opinion is pretty much the same as yours, some cars use oil some don't.

Still, it would be pretty scary to me. I had an old Mk 5 Cortina with 100,000+ miles on it and it didn't use that much oil.
        Last edited by Scorpion; 26 March 2008, 20:52.

Comment

A 57 plate BMW 320D.
          I'd kind of agree with the dealer on this one. A litre every 3k isn't that bad.

IIRC they have the piston crown cooling sprays so will lose oil to blow by and carbonisation.

Comment

Sorry, I went back and double checked, it was a E92 318 not the 320D.

By the time I edited the post you had already replied.

Comment

Sorry, I went back and double checked, it was a E92 318 not the 320D.

By the time I edited the post you had already replied.
              Nae worries. Not had much to do with wee BMWs, so can't really comment other than to say that small engines dragging big cars also tend to use oil.

Comment

My old man used to have a Ferrari 360 and that took well over a litre a month.

Comment

Ford (Melons Focus)told us that a litre between 12,500mile services was acceptable .......it don't do it ,but i think it's to do with turbo lubrication
                  ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

I think the Mazda rotary lumps are a bit oil thirsty.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

The RX8 uses 1L of oil every 1k you even get a L of oil from the daler when you buy on new in a nice bag in the boot!!!!

Comment

Oil leak

Hello, I am new to this forum, and hope I'm going the right way about asking this question. I have noticed oil drops on my drive from my 3.0 td hilux surf. When I looked underneath it looked wet with oil pretty much everywhere. Some felt fresh and some felt dry. I know nothing about this vehicle as I have only had it for 3 days and it has only done 122,000 km and regular oil and filter changes. As I lay under the hilux with a torch a centre section was wet and also when I looked up into the engine above drip tray there seemed alot of wet components too. Also there was a clear fluid on the floor too which may be power steering fluid. There seems to be plenty of oil and brake fluid. Am I just being paranoid about the 5 or 6 drops on my drive or should I be concerned? Thankyou very much for taking your time to read this long winded post. Regards Lee

Comment

If it's leaking, rocker cover gasket is the most likely culprit. Wouldn't worry too much about a few drops though. If you're frequently having to top up, get it checked. Otherwise, nowt major.

Btw, better to start a fresh thread than adding to one which is only tenuously related to your subject.

Welcome to the forum, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                            I think the Mazda rotary lumps are a bit oil thirsty.
                            W@nkel?

Comment

oil

Been getting some very late diesel cars in lately for engine rebuilds and crankshaft replacements, last one was a 56 plate Rexton 270 ( engine based on Mercedes ML270 engine ) 17800 miles blown piston due to oil shortage, dealers didn't want to know said wasn't their responsibility because the oil level was low, another late one previous was a 55 plate Honda CRV 2.2td only 15000 miles,knocked out crankshaft, again dealers didn't want to know due to low oil level. Honda specify in the owners hand book " all engines use some oil therefore we recommend that the oil level should be checked on a DAILY basis and topped up as required " they refused this family's warranty claim on that basis and wanted over £8000 to fit a replacement engine.
                              Cheers, Steve.

Comment

Working...
                              X