How waterproof?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How waterproof?

are the door seals and places where water can get into the surf? basically will i get wet feet driving through a lake? cheerz, Joe
    Surfin on the tidal waves of mud!

If the water is higher than the bottom of your bodyshell, then; yep, you'll get wet...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
      are the door seals and places where water can get into the surf? basically will i get wet feet driving through a lake? cheerz, Joe

erm... yeah!!

especially in an older motor... lots of flooded motor pics knocking about!...

keep the door seals clean and check they're not perished and they'll keep out a lot of water... but they'll still leak eventually
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

p.s. how deep is the lake??
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

so theres no stiffer seals on the market or nefing like dat?

Comment

i took it through one lake before and that was bout lil under 3 feet n came jus to da bottom on me seals, but has since got deeper

Comment

Rub the seals with vasline and use expanding foam for the bulk head holes steering shaft air con ect.
              Brian

Comment

door seals seem to be generally OK, seal at the bottom of the tailgate however is a different matter.

Basically the doors will probably be fine all the time you're moving as soon as you stop moving the tailgate will start letting in water very quickly if that's below the surface, and the door seals will probably start to weep within a minute or so if you don't get moving again.

If you're going that deep you gotta expect it to get wet and smelly though, and so far it's been 5 days with the carpet's and seat's removed to dry out the interior both times it's got wet. then a good month of musty smells dodgy demisters and heavily condensated windows every day, that's with shampooing and wet vax on the carpets too.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                  Rub the seals with vasline and use expanding foam for the bulk head holes steering shaft air con ect.
                  sounds good, i shall do that soon as shes back onda road!

Comment

Don't go in any deeper than the front bumper unless you have a snorkel fitted, or wet carpets will be the least of your worries.

Comment

Without a snorkel do not let the water get to the height of the passenger headlight - the air intake hides behind it
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

lol i currently conect a flexi pipe to my air intake n gaffa tape it to da roof till i can get a snorkle, jus looks a bit tacky everytime i do it

Comment

Originally posted by YoungOffroader View Post
                          so theres no stiffer seals on the market or nefing like dat?
                          'better' door seals keep the water in as well as they keep it out

You need to be looking to modify ther interior if you really wanna go swimming - carpets become a no no and electric's don't tend to be keen on water so there's a few things i'd want moving if it was gonna swim regularly. ECU is pretty low fusebox ain't much higher. 4wd computer is only just above the transmission tunnel.

Front is too far from the back and the wheels are too far apart too.

And as vince says snorkel, diff / t-case / gearbox breathers all need adjusting too.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                            'better' door seals keep the water in as well as they keep it out

You need to be looking to modify ther interior if you really wanna go swimming - carpets become a no no and electric's don't tend to be keen on water so there's a few things i'd want moving if it was gonna swim regularly. ECU is pretty low fusebox ain't much higher. 4wd computer is only just above the transmission tunnel.

Front is too far from the back and the wheels are too far apart too.

And as vince says snorkel, diff / t-case / gearbox breathers all need adjusting too.
                            yeah all the breathers are as high as the top of the bonnet atm and i havent taken it above the seals but i like fishing in the middle of this lake n it was perfect to sit in the back of the surf with the tailgate down till it rose with the rain!

Comment

you'll not be keeping many fishermen happy driving into the middle of a lake to fish mate and presumably that means you're turning off the engine and sitting there for a while, you'd be better off with my breaker and a hand winch - how about a straight swap?
                              =========
                              =SOLD UP!=
                              =========

Comment

Working...
                              X