Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter and diesel treatment

going to do my second service at weekend inc air, oil and fuel filters

I have read on here that the fuel filter can sometimes be a bit difficult to get off, is this the case or do they simply unscrew ala oil filter.

I note the recommendation to fill the filter with injector cleaner and rev the nuts off on start up. Does this have major benefits and what cleaner do you guys recommend.

Touching wood my truck runs ok so reluctant to do anything that might effect that.

Originally posted by hilly64 View Post

I have read on here that the fuel filter can sometimes be a bit difficult to get off, is this the case or do they simply unscrew ala oil filter.

I note the recommendation to fill the filter with injector cleaner and rev the nuts off on start up. Does this have major benefits and what cleaner do you guys recommend.

Touching wood my truck runs ok so reluctant to do anything that might effect that.

A small bottle of deisel redex will do the trick. Pour it neat into the new filter to give the injectors a good clean through.
    Brian

Comment

I tried taking mine off the other day and it wouldn't budge at all, so it's still there.....full of mess I suspect...
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

I normally take the whole unit off including the mounting bracket and primer. Clamp it in a vice and then unscrew it.

It jams on everytime without fail, and always has me swearing at it (and anything else close by).
        Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

I wasn't imagining it then and they are a pig?

Presumeably to take the whole unit off just means the addition disconnection of fuel lines and am I correct in thinking there is an h2O sensor connected?

Comment

Take the assembly off, turn it over and bolt it on upside down. Then you can get a filter wrench on it.

When you put it back on, hand tight is tight enough, then you wont have to go through the heartache again. Same goes for the oil filter.

And if, by H2O you mean water then yes. It's just a float switch and just screws out of the bottom of the filter.

Oh, and its not a pig. Its about the easiest job you'll ever do. Takes 10 mins. 15 tops! I can do mine in less, with no tools, cos I only do them HAND TIGHT. Sorry to labour the point
            Last edited by Apache; 19 March 2008, 13:29.
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by hilly64 View Post

My first fuel filter was a complete bar steward, I ended up with it clamped in a vice. Sometimes I need a filter wrench to get it back off.

As apache says hand tight only!!

I would change the oil first, then run the engine up until the oil pressure returns, I don't like revving anything until normal oil pressure is restored, they don't like it up 'em you see.
              Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Laboured point taken!!!

Always do my oil filters hand tight just that this is my first diesel and hence first diesel filter.

hand tight it is.

presumeably prime once filter back on fire up with redex in and run diesel through until it stops smoking.

truck has full Toyata service history thats every stamp inc intermediate oil changes, the previous owner always took it to Toyota dealer in Ilkeston (blokes name but can't remember detail) --- I wonder how tight they do things up then?? will find out I guess.

What are the other main things to check/lubricate

Was planning on greasing prop and other drive shafts fitted with nipples as per the visor sticker. Is it just a couple of pumps in each?

Check and clean out brakes etc

Comment

Labour the point as much as you want, mine are arthritic hand tight and they still jam everytime. (my truck hates me).

With the regards to priming, just keep pumping until it becomes hard (or you get bored or tired).

With regards to greasing I pump until some old rubbish starts to come out.
                  Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                    just keep pumping until it becomes hard
                    Fnar Fnar!
                    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
                    X