Help Please! don't know what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Please! don't know what to do?

The truck broke down on me last week, It blew a hose in a big way on the motorway I was recovered on the back of a flat bed to my home where the next day the AA sent out one of their chaps to look it over. He repaired the pipe and struggled to get all the air out of the system but did manage to do it. He suspected that the head gasket had gone and did a fumes test the result showed a tiny change in colour so he was unsure. So with the pipe fixed and the coolant refilled we thought it was sorted. I have run it on short journeys all week and it's been fine but last night on a longer run out the same run that I broke down on last week I spotted the temp gauge leap to the red. So I stopped and popped the bonnet it was hissing like a goodun and had dumped the coolant into the overflow and the road. I got the AA to just pick it up and get me home without checking it over.( I had my son with me again and did not want to be there for 3 hours again!)

So what now I have tried to get hold of Tony N to see if he would be interested in the work having just read his web site, that looks unlikely unless he wanted to do it over here.

I don't mind doing things on the truck myself but I have a feeling these are all the symptoms of the cylinder head cracks and that would be beyond me... do I cut my losses and ebay it for parts do I waste money and take it to a local garage to rip me off .... sorry about the long post but I am hugely hacked off as I love the truck...

Do you know a reliable garage that near me (Marlow, Nr,maidenhead)

Are there any checks I should do first?

If your still reading well done

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Mark

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
    The truck broke down on me last week, It blew a hose in a big way on the motorway I was recovered on the back of a flat bed to my home where the next day the AA sent out one of their chaps to look it over. He repaired the pipe and struggled to get all the air out of the system but did manage to do it. He suspected that the head gasket had gone and did a fumes test the result showed a tiny change in colour so he was unsure. So with the pipe fixed and the coolant refilled we thought it was sorted. I have run it on short journeys all week and it's been fine but last night on a longer run out the same run that I broke down on last week I spotted the temp gauge leap to the red. So I stopped and popped the bonnet it was hissing like a goodun and had dumped the coolant into the overflow and the road. I got the AA to just pick it up and get me home without checking it over.( I had my son with me again and did not want to be there for 3 hours again!)

So what now I have tried to get hold of Tony N to see if he would be interested in the work having just read his web site, that looks unlikely unless he wanted to do it over here.

I don't mind doing things on the truck myself but I have a feeling these are all the symptoms of the cylinder head cracks and that would be beyond me... do I cut my losses and ebay it for parts do I waste money and take it to a local garage to rip me off .... sorry about the long post but I am hugely hacked off as I love the truck...

Do you know a reliable garage that near me (Marlow, Nr,maidenhead)

Are there any checks I should do first?

If your still reading well done

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Mark
    Its worth getting it sorted mate... at least you know it will last you, unless you want to spend a bit more and get a 3ltr. It might be an idea to Tony a call and ask him for his opinion. Dont go surfless
    SWIFT AND BOLD

Comment

personal choice on how much you love the truck mate. if mine went tommorrow i'd put a new engine in it coz i really like this one. but at the price of a new 2.4 modded head i'd look at a bigger diesel lump with more grunt.
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

If the head is gone. I would break it and buy a 3.0ltr.
        But you would need to get the head damage confirmed.
        Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
          If the head is gone. I would break it and buy a 3.0ltr.
          But you would need to get the head damage confirmed.
          Is there some checks I can do myself to rule out Head gasket and therefore point to the cylinder head?

Comment

All the symtoms you have described were the same as what I had. ie short journeys fine, long journeys out comes the water through the ex tank.

Depends how much you love your surf, mine I love a lot, so I went to Roughtrax bought all the bits I needed in fact Barry was very helpfull as I also ordered a water pump he advised if the old one was not playing up dont spent on it, Top man me thinks.

Comment

Your head has gone. Tony may be able to do it if you can wait a while, otherwise Stevo will do it if you can get it up to Stockport (put a couple of washers under the bonnet hinges to lift it up, put the heaters on full and take some coolant with you).

If it's in good nick otherwise and you have the skills, time, patience and space breaking it might be economically better but who's to say a new one (or any other vehicle) won't have a long list of problems?

Comment

What about a Gen3/Land cruiser engine? They are a little more robust aren't they??

Apart from that I can't really help fella, sorry, Although I do have an engine hoist that should be available soon (curently in reading) if required.
                More Lift.
                More Tyres.
                More Engine.

Comment

Thanks for the advice so far..couple more questions

Is it possible it could just be the head gasket or do they never go and its always the head that goes?

Could I keep it limping along by topping it up and short journeys? will that do further damage if it is the head?

Would it pass a mot with the head issue.... MOT next month and Tax has just come through this month!

I am tempted to "sorn" it and then when I move house (next couple of months) get it over there and put it in the garage till I can afford to either work on it myself or someone else.... I need to do the fuel pump, two tyres on the back, CV boot as well so could be looking at £1800 ish..oowww

Cheers
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    What about a Gen3/Land cruiser engine? They are a little more robust aren't they??

Apart from that I can't really help fella, sorry, Although I do have an engine hoist that should be available soon (curently in reading) if required.
                    Thanks for the offer ....depending what I do may take you up on that!

Cheers
                    Mark

Comment

It's all personal preferance, but your truck is probably only worth £1500.00 in good working and cosmetic condition.

I was in the same position shortly after I bought it, but I paid to have the head done, and it's been a money pit every since.

1st the head, then the alternator, then the air con, then crank pulley, then the fuel pump started leaking, then the exhaust fell off, and that don't include the four new tyres and the rear springs, the four shocks and the steering idler, the four track rod ends.

Ive only had the thing two years, and done 5000 miles, thats some seriously expensive motoring, It would probably have been cheaper to lease a New Range Rover or Land Cruiser for 3 years.
                      Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                      X