Help! Buying advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Buying advice!

Urgent- Newbie desperate to join the surf flock -question!

Just about to sell my hatchback and found a second hand surf after following the advice from kind folk on here. I think it looks like a great deal so want to jump on it if it is
    I'm not mechanically minded at all so would really appreciate some advice

It is a 94 surf 3l auto
    Mileage 95k
    some service history
    Bit of rust
    Seller says the one bad point is there is a 'bit of a clonk' on one of the front driveshafts which he thinks may need replacing in the future (is this expensive?)
    Taxed for a couple of months
    MOT until September
    No tow bar so I guess its not been hauling anything
    3 previous owners
    new head recently
    £1599

Is there anyone near brighton, mechanics or anyone on here I could pay to come and check it over with me? Not got much money but would be happy to pay someone with more knowledge than myself. It would be either Wed/Thurs or Fri morn

Also some general surf q's

What should I look out for generally with second hand surfs?
    What sort of mileage will Surf diesels go to?
    Should I aim for 2nd or 3rd gen surfs?

Thanks so much, hopefully I'll soon feel like more of a member on here!

Thanks to all who have given advice previously

The 'bit of a clonk' *could* be steering end stops, which isn't an issue. Even if a shaft needs replacing, its only £20 - £30 for a second hand replacement.

Odd that its had the head replaced. Its the exception rather than the norm with the 3.0. However, if its been done properly, it again isn't an issue.

Nothing specific to look out for. If I was buying another, I'd buy a straight, standard one. Just check it drives OK, no excessive smoke.

The engines, well, they're reputed to go on and on. Some here have 1/4 million miles on theirs. Keep them well serviced, they'll last.

If you aint got much to spend, you'll struggle to get a 3rd gen, but thats where the smart money would go now as they can be had from about £3.5k. A very tidy 3.0 2nd gen should set you back no more than £2.5-£3k now.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

im in brighton,where is the surf?i can look with u bit wud have to be evenin or weekend?,oh and not saturday mornin?if that helps?

Comment

Offer

Hello mate
        Thanks for the post. It's over towards Lewes.
        I'm thinking Fri morning (do you count friday as a weeknd this week?

Let me know what you would like in return for the favour?
        Are you a mechanic or just casual 4x4 fixer upper?

If we meet up I might be able to give you some fundraising tips for the london to brighton if its any use. i used to be a fundraiser for a few national charities

Cheers

Comment

be very wary on this deal !! new head would be about £1100 ,
          make sure you know what the prob is definately before buying ,good luck
          Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

Have a read here .........it's most useful

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
            ' You've arrived on a rather special night. It's one of the master's affairs.'

Comment

Working...
            X