2.4 or 3.0?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2.4 or 3.0?

I've got a '93 3.0TD, totally stock and in pretty decent condition but am increasingly thinking I want a modified truck.... no problem I hear you say, get the spanners out, but there is a problem, no pennies in the bank for frivolous items and I find it difficult to justify replacing serviceable parts just because....

so the dilemma is do I sell the 3.0 and seek out a nice, modded 2.4 and be happy or will I regret selling the more powerful truck which will be better on the road?

what to do, what to do?
    Toot! Toot!

these surfs/4runners are the cheapest cars to modifie, much cheaper than to modifie a sports car !
    i think if you seriously cant afford to modifie a surf then you shouldnt have bought a car that does 25mpg if your lucky !
    im really not trying to be funny but i know if i had no spare cash i would probably buy a diesel car that does 50mpg and is cheap tax and insurance.
    Last edited by white akita; 2 March 2008, 20:08.

Comment

u wud regret it,just do it bit by bit

Comment

what sort of things would you like to do Dee?

if you have a 3.0 then stick with that! from what i have read, it will be hard to get a decent 2.4. and if you did want a 2.4 then you will have to get one with a head that has already been changed for the better design.
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

To be honest getting a decent set of mud tyres and just getting offroad will fuel your desire to get other bits done but you be really amazed what your stock 3.0 can handle, I know I was

Just take your timr tracking down bargains for the bits you want.
          and doing the mods yourself will make it all the much nicer.
          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

think I was just thinking out loud earlier, it would be daft to trade back (notice I didn't say down )

especially when I now realise so many of the mod's are so cheap, used to modding daft italian cars which as pointed out ain't cheap

at this moment I guess I should content myself with sorting out the daft things, sorting the rear window, finding the slight PAS leak, getting the front wheels balanced to get rid of the 55mph wobble, oh and some proper recovery gear

then, spring spacers on the back 1st, always think it looks a bit nose up, not sure about front suspension lift though...

and fuel consumption not really a concern when running special brew, cough...
            Toot! Toot!

Comment

I wouldn't bother with the spacers, as they cost more than a set of Land Cruiser springs that will give you 3" of lift at the rear.

The expensive stuff is the winch bumpers and winch, then the suspension and body lifting, follwed by the big tyres, that lot is looking like a couple of grand, unless you can find some or all of it second hand.

But if you take your time ( as stated) and search out the bargains it'll work out.

I'm the worst for wanting it all now, but I just have to wait until the money is available, which may be a couple of years at this rate, but looking at what everybody else is doing just makes things worse.

By all means use others work for inspiration, but don't worry about the time scale, it'll come together eventually.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post

By all means use others work for inspiration, but don't worry about the time scale, it'll come together eventually.

A very valid point. I remember being devestated when i realised my insurance was a month longer then i had expected! I couldnt start mods till i was with adrian flux. It was still quite some time after before it started actually going together!

Either way - make the most of it! I've run out of ideas for my truck at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                X