Passenger Airbag Turn Off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Passenger Airbag Turn Off

Hi, I'm new to the site and new to owning a Surf... picked it up today! It's a 3.0 TD Auto and I'm in love. I have one small problem though which I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help me with. Is there a way to turn off the passenger airbag as I really want to be able to put a child seat in the front? I'd be very grateful for any info... Cheers, Ing

i dont think it will have a passenger airbag.

Comment

Need a few more details if you can. IE year of manufacture. Don't believe 2nd gens up to 1995 had air bag fitted. Not sure about 3rd gens 1996 - on. No doubt a 3rd gen owner will be along shortly to answer your question.

Last edited by Scorpion; 1 March 2008, 14:54.
      'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Wouldn't it be safer for the child and easier for the fitting of the seat for it to be secured in the rear middle seat.

Does disabling the airbags have any legal complication's

Just a couple of thoughts

Cheers
        Matt
        Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

96'-on 3rd Gens all have Airbags. There is no mention of being able to turn them off.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

It def has airbag. I'm just about to have a baby which is why I want to be able to put rear facing child seat in the front. Does anyone know if a garage would be able to disconnect it temporarily?

Comment

Never had a car with airbags but, just a thought- if the airbag deploys wouldnt you need to have the charge (explosive?) renewed?
              If so I would have thought it could be removed and refitted (or new one) at later date.
              Could be wrong though (usually am!).

Ken
              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][B][I][SIZE=3]When the going gets tough - Get out !!![/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid View Post
                Never had a car with airbags but, just a thought- if the airbag deploys wouldnt you need to have the charge (explosive?) renewed?
                If so I would have thought it could be removed and refitted (or new one) at later date.

Ken
                I'm not so sure, I have heard of Ford Fucus' being written off because the airbags have deployed !!
                Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Its probably just that an impact severe enough to deploy airbags usually makes the car uneconomical to repair.

Todays airbags are a bit more intelligent, and dont go off at the drop of a hat.
                  Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by The Kid View Post

Ken
                    Yeah, you replace the whole bag unit, you could remove it, but you'd have a SRS light on annoying you all the time, plus taking the dash out to get it out is a pain.

Easier to just dump the kid in the back.
                    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Have just spoken to garage I bought it from and they reckon it might be possible to reprogram the chip to tell it there's only 1 airbag although they've never done it before and don't know until I take the car back in and they link it up to the diagnostic equipment. If anyone hears of anything like this being achievable then please let me know as it will help. Thanks.

Comment

try sides of dash when doors open,most modern cars u have a key slot,put in and turn??

Comment

I had the same problem. I just unplugged it here

Comment

Working...
                          X