red dip stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• red dip stick

when looking at the engine i noticed another dip stick i think it leeds down to the auto box, i pulled it out and there was not a drop in it !!!! only a smudge on the tip the oil was a reddy colour

so where is the fill bit for it ?

NOTE, it has the words "hot" and "cool" engraved in it

Its yer auto trans fluid dip stick, you fill it from there down the tube. But to get yer levels, you need to drive her well up to running temp, then stop on level ground, and go in and out of drive and reverse a number of times and while engine is still running you test levels, when its hot i.e after going up hills or driving for half hour or so it should read up the top by the hot engraving. If it dont it needs more.
    Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

in order to check the ATF have the engine running up to temp and foot on the brake and move the gear selector in and out of gear then you check the ATF level.If its low then top it up via the dipstick tube
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Re

Use the hole the dipstick came from to top it up!

This is DEFFO the easiest way!

Get a basting syringe of something similar!

Remember to move the selector slowly through all the gears to make sure the level is correct!

Top up easy and don't overfill!

Gary

Comment

that'll be the transmission fluid dipstick, it's checked with the engine running, and better checked hot, so take it for a drive and when you get back cycle the gears P-R-N-D-2-1-2-D-N-R-P pausing for a second or two in each, (with your foot on the brake), then leave it idling in P and check the level.

If it's low it needs topping up through the dipstick tube with Dexron II or Dexron III auto transmission fluid.

It should be a rich reddy colour, if it's browny blacky sort of colour and smells burn't, it probably is and could do with being flushed and refilled with fresh ATF.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

The fluid level should be within the cold range on a cold engine and the hot range on a hot engine.
            The engine should be idling when you check the levels in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero
              Thanks Bushwhacker. But this still leaves me with question where is cold range and where is hot range marked on the dip stick?
              There should be a series of notches on the edge of the dipstick. The lower two are the cold range, the upper two are the hot range.

Some dipsticks have engraved sections marked on the dipstick.

Comment

Mine always reads well above when cold, get the engine up to temperature & move shifter into every gear for 5 seconds each, do this 2 or 3 times then return it to park & check the level, you may find its about right & no drainage needed.
                If its not broke don't fix it.

Comment

Working...
                X