Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tailgate Trauma.

Hello everyone,

I have a 1992 Hilux Surf and have fixed a spare wheel up and under the chassis. However, my design compromises the tailgate opening as the spring now rubs over the tyre. I am considering taking a hacksaw to the spring to solve my problem. I don't want to move the wheel now.

My question is, is the thin piece of metal that moves when the tailgate is opened simply a spring or is it a more essential component? Also, if I cut it off then what will the consequences be?

Thank you for your help (in advance!),

Chris.

Spring??

Im lost mate. Can you take some pictures?

Im not sure why it should ever rub on the tyre. I believe Lazerjock has a 33" spare and hasnt had issues?!

i'd like to see pics of whats rubbing on what before i say cut it off!

Comment

the tailgate will be much heavier to close without it, but other than that it shouldn't make any difference. can you not just fit a bit of box section for the spring to run in, and drop the wheel a little bit?
      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
        the tailgate will be much heavier to close without it, but other than that it shouldn't make any difference. can you not just fit a bit of box section for the spring to run in, and drop the wheel a little bit?
        wheres the spring?

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. Unfortunately I'm away at the moment so cannot take photos but if you look under the tailgate from under the car as the tailgate is opened or closed you'll see a thin wire move forward when the tail is opended and then back when it is closed. I attached the tyre myself with a homemade bracket so it's not conventional!

Difficult to explain but you'd know what I'm talking about as soon as you see look underneath as the tailgate is opened and closed.

My concern is that the thin wire houses either wires of fluids (incase it is a hose). I doubt it but am seeking confirmation.

Cheers now,

C.

Comment

I went to a metalworks to get some threaded bar and plate and bolted it to the chassis arm after widening one of the holes under there. After that I attahced some nuts to hold the bar in place and then lifted the wheel and bolted two more nuts with a huge washeer to keep everything in check. As the bar is only 15mm I then decided to hold it on more securely with some ratchet straps. Now that they are in place I don't really want to untie everything unless I really need to.

I think cutting that 'spring' will answer my prayers more easily and prevent it from eroding away at my tyre every time I open and close the tailgate.

So how heavy is heavy do you think? It can't be that heavy, can it? Not only that but does it have anything to do with the lock? I don't fancy it opening whilst I'm driving along!

C.

Comment

Why don't you design your carrier correctly so that it sites the tyre away from the tensioner, rather than hacking at existing parts.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                wheres the spring?
                Under the backend of the floor, there's a u-shaped'ish metal rod that runs along a strip as you open/close the rear door.

Comment

This one???? sorry i ment this one
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by POPEYE; 27 February 2008, 21:27.
                  Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                    This one????
                    why have you painted your chassis, diff, and everything else red?
                    私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Originally posted by blackpoolsparks View Post
                      why have you painted your chassis, diff, and everything else red?
                      Cos he couldnt find any blue
                      www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by tintin View Post
                        Cos he couldnt find any blue
                        oh yea, why didnt i think of that, its obvious. duh.
                        私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Cos i thought it looked nice than used engine oil
                          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

what kinda paint did you use?
                            私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Very good,

So, apart from making the tailgate heavier to open and close, will cutting off that spring do anything else?

C.

Comment

Working...
                              X