Another Question About Tyres (Sorry)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Question About Tyres (Sorry)

Okay, I must admit I've never taken much notice of tyre related threads before, which is very remiss of me I know. I really should have taken more interest. I now find myself in need of your vast tyre related knowledge.

I currently have 31 x 10.5. x 15's fitted. Would I be able to fit 33 x 12.5 x 15's or would they be:

A) Too high for the truck which only has a 2" suspension lift?
    B) Too wide for my 10.5" rims?

Last edited by Scorpion; 27 February 2008, 18:17.
    'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

if it was me looking for tyres i would have bought them thinking they would stretch into that rim.
    but i no nothing (said in a barcelonean accent)
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
      if it was me looking for tyres i would have bought them thinking they would stretch into that rim.
      but i no nothing (said in a barcelonean accent)
      I thought you were the tyre guru mate.

Or is it Rod Leach? My memory ain'y what it used to be. Now, what were we talking about?

Comment

First question is - is it a 10.5" wide rim? (unlikely)

it's more likely to be a 7" or an 8" wide rim you have at the moment, unless you know specifically that either you or a previous owner has replaced them with very wide wheels. (The tyre that's on there may well be 10.5", but it's unlikely that the rim itself is actually 10.5")

A 12.50" wide tyre wants an 8" or preferably 10" wide rim to go on really. Once the rim width is established for sure it'll be easier to advise as to what likely problems you might encounter. The offset may also have a bearing on rubbing issues, as would whether you have wheel spacers or not fitted. Stamped somewhere on the wheel you might well find a series of numbers which will hopefully read something like "15x8J ET-20" these numbers would be useful to know.

Generally the advice would be that you would want 4" overall lift to run 33's, you might get away with a bit less, but i think just 2" might be pushing it a little. Especially if you want to go offroad, you may find if you get twisted up at all you end up stuffing the tyre into the arches and doing one or the other damage.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

You could plough your own furrow (or mine ) and go for skinny 33"s
          I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpion View Post
            Or is it Rod Leach? My memory ain'y what it used to be. Now, what were we talking about?

you said you had put the kettle on
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Nero, cheers mate, just the sort of info I was looking for. Can't get any info from the rims at the moment as it's getting dark and started to rain.

Just my layman's knowledge of tyre sizes made me think the 31"s looked small in the wheel arch and that 33's would 'fill in' the space a bit more.

If I need to lift the truck another 2" to fit 33's I won't be bothering. Been off roading with the present tyres on and the truck coped okay, managed to keep up with the big boys anyway.

Looks like I'll be going for new 31"s.

Thanks again for the advice.

Comment

Hello mate!

If your after a larger tyre to fill the arches without having to lift anymore, may i suggest a 32x11.50r15 ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...d=m26b0s1666p0

The Falken is a reasonable all terrain an if your after more bang for your BUCK (pun intended) then the maxxis buckshots are a safe bet in the MT side of things.

your looking at a larger, wider tyre.

Have a look around your front wheel wheels when they are on full lock, how much space is around the front/back and both sides?

I agree a 31" tyre looks small on anything but stock. a 32x11.50 could be a middle ground. not as large as a 33" but better then 31"

unless you want to look for some 16" wheels for 265/75/16 i think your best bet is a 32.

Comment

Cheers Rod. £276 for 4 Maxxis seems very reasonable. I will check out how much space is left in the arch after putting on full lock.

Once again many thanks for your advice Rod.

Comment

Working...
                  X