Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She sat down on me this morning

No not my misses my truck

I am 2 miles from the house and she just stopped and won't start I was low on fuel the red warning light flickered a wee bit before she sat down.

Will I be Ok to tow it home if i stick to 10 or 15 mph it's an auto.

I will get a new fuel filter and flush the tank then try again.

Do you find these trucks need to be bled at the injectors to start when they have run out of fuel.

I was using a bit of veggie oil about 50/50 mix.

Cheers JB
    www.brydenenterprises.co.uk www.kirstyskids.org

oh dear,most people wud say tow it,company hat on id say no,call breakdown cover?if u havent got,find sumone with rac cover,cover is to their name,so can get u towed

Comment

stick both transfer and gear lever in Neutral and you'll be fine to tow at up to about 25-30 mph for upto 10 miles, you're well within both of them so no problems.
      =========
      =SOLD UP!=
      =========

Comment

from what i understand DO NOT TOW AN AUTO!

i towed a brand new landcruiser when it ran out of juice and we broke something, then on the m25 oil peed out from someplace so bad toyota wanted to charge 1200 quid to fix it...

do you have a primer button?may be you could crank it over with the injector feeds cracked off so that there is a low pressure rather than trying to open the injectors on cranking?
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

was going to add BDT will be on to tell you different no doubt but decided against incase he got upset
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

Nero Cheers

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
            stick both transfer and gear lever in Neutral and you'll be fine to tow at up to about 25-30 mph for upto 10 miles, you're well within both of them so no problems.
            THanks JB

Breakdown

I have a 60 mile round trip to my nearest garage and on a Sunday I cant be bothered waiting 4 hours for the nearest recovery I would loose my RAC no calims to boot. But I know what you mean

Cheers JB

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              from what i understand DO NOT TOW AN AUTO!

i towed a brand new landcruiser when it ran out of juice and we broke something, then on the m25 oil peed out from someplace so bad toyota wanted to charge 1200 quid to fix it...

do you have a primer button?may be you could crank it over with the injector feeds cracked off so that there is a low pressure rather than trying to open the injectors on cranking?
              Thats a scary story what speed were you doing I don't fancy a repair bill like that.

MRS Highlanders gone for some motion lotion and will be back this afternoon so I will get her to pull me gently home if it wont start at the roadside after putting in some diesel and bleeding.
              Thanks for the advice.

JB

Comment

primer it up with a bit of diesel it will be fine starts first time
                the primer is at the passager sid near the bulk head its a cilinder with a stumby button on the top pump that up and down untill it gets hard to primer a diesel engine

i did get 2 miles out of mine with no diesel in it just by primeing it

dont tow it please you will kill the gear box!

prime it and drive away
                am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1 View Post
                  Thats a scary story what speed were you doing I don't fancy a repair bill like that.

MRS Highlanders gone for some motion lotion and will be back this afternoon so I will get her to pull me gently home if it wont start at the roadside after putting in some diesel and bleeding.
                  Thanks for the advice.

JB
                  you dont need to bleed it just prime it up

i have ran out of diesel may times
                  am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

the reason for the confusion is that most auto's don't have a transfer box that you can stick in neutral to disconnect the rear wheels from the gear box.

and a full time 4wd transfer box is different to a part time 4wd one and doesn't like it either.

the only issue for us is cooling and lubrication for the transfer box and gear box, so aslong as you keep the speed down and don't go too far to cook the transfer box you're fine.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                      was going to add BDT will be on to tell you different no doubt but decided against incase he got upset
                      lololol,i can only give company answer on this,ps u can ring rac and book a time to tow

Comment

Ive run mine out loads of times...
                        Once 1/4 mile from home, so I wandered up with a bottle of veg oil, primed it with the button on the filter and drove her home. I've Never had to bleed anything. I'd be very surprised if you had to tow her home
                        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt View Post
                          Ive run mine out loads of times...
                          Once 1/4 mile from home, so I wandered up with a bottle of veg oil, primed it with the button on the filter and drove her home. I've Never had to bleed anything. I'd be very surprised if you had to tow her home
                          I tried putting 3 ltrs of veg oil in and pumped the primer up but it didn't even splutter maybe there's something else wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Highlander1 View Post
                            I tried putting 3 ltrs of veg oil in and pumped the primer up but it didn't even splutter maybe there's something else wrong.
                            try that stuff........wots it called.........diesel lololol

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                              try that stuff........wots it called.........diesel lololol
                              Its a bit cold this time of year for it to work well... Like the man said, try a bit of diesel...( I only used the veg cos I hadn't got any proper fuel here, Honest..)
                              it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Working...
                              X