Dna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dna

The government has ruled out introducing a compulsory DNA database on practical and ethical grounds.

What!!!!
    Not only would this make the detection of crime easier it may even save lives, which is more important.

If some scumbag knows he will be caught from his DNA, then he will think twice about killing his victim or not commit the crime in the first place (which is the better option).

I suspect that if this was introduced, the prison population would literally explode and this is what the Government is worried about.

I know there is the civil liberties issue, but the evil bast*rd that battered that young women to death in her own driveway, was only caught because the police had his DNA on file ( and that was a fluke) otherwise he could still be free today.
    Last edited by div3r; 23 February 2008, 14:41. Reason: Wrong Title

I agree with a DNA database in principle BUT I have a few issues:

1. It's yet another infringement of our personal liberty

2. Can we trust the Government (Stupid question - we can't !)

3. It isn't foolproof e.g. take a few strands of somebodies hair, leave it in a car they've never been in, use car for crime - instant prime suspect

And I've no idea what the solution is either ....

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by div3r View Post
      The government has ruled out introducing a compulsory DNA database on practical and ethical grounds.

What!!!!
      Not only would this make the detection of crime easier it may even save lives, which is more important.

If some scumbag knows he will be caught from his DNA, then he will think twice about killing his victim or not commit the crime in the first place (which is the better option).

I suspect that if this was introduced, the prison population would literally explode and this is what the Government is worried about.

I know there is the civil liberties issue, but the evil bast*rd that battered that young women to death in her own driveway, was only caught because the police had his DNA on file ( and that was a fluke) otherwise he could still be free today.
      And what a sick tw@t he was too, did you hear what his defence was.....
      Working at last.......

Comment

Originally posted by LURCH View Post
        And what a sick tw@t he was too, did you hear what his defence was.....
        I did read some of it but it made me sick to my stomach, god knows what members of her family must have felt who were in court.

I’m fundamentally against the death penalty Thou shalt not kill
        and all that malarkey, but for him and his like, I would gladly pull the leaver myself.

Comment

I'm sorry but as an innocent person, I don't want my details on any police database. You never know where they might lose it!
          Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            I'm sorry but as an innocent person, I don't want my details on any police database. You never know where they might lose it!
            If it was to get lost what is your concern as to what someone would do with it its not like your credit card details or medical records which are already held on file.

Comment

Along the same lines that I don't want an ID card.

A national DNA database would only mean the dumb or impulsive criminals would get caught, There are ways around DNA, and there have been mistakes made with DNA.

Please don't take this against the news report you quoted, he deserved it. I just totally disagree with being rounded up and having my details forcibly taken.
              Gone from 4x4 to 1x2

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                Along the same lines that I don't want an ID card.

A national DNA database would only mean the dumb or impulsive criminals would get caught, There are ways around DNA, and there have been mistakes made with DNA.

Please don't take this against the news report you quoted, he deserved it. I just totally disagree with being rounded up and having my details forcibly taken.
                I don’t want ID cards either it would quickly become an offence not to carry one and I too would object to having my DNA forcibly taken but would willing give it voluntarily (that may be naive)

I am sure that just because you express disquiet about a DNA database you are in complete agreement with original quote and nobody would think otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                X