Noisy steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noisy steering

Sometimes when I steer to lock, I get a noise that sounds like something metallic is about to be torn in two - any idea what this is???? It gets a few looks from passers by....
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Yup, nothing to worry about. It's just the steering bump-stops. A blob of grease on them (two on each side) will sort it out.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

Comment

I'll get the grease out later - cheers Paul!

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
        I'll get the grease out later - cheers Paul!
        No problem. Scared the sh*t out of me the first time mine did it.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Change the rad cap.

Comment

more to the point i have a little red button, what does it do
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Sometimes when I steer to lock, I get a noise that sounds like something metallic is about to be torn in two - any idea what this is???? It gets a few looks from passers by....
              chassis may be cracked

like the driver
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

what's all this talk of rad caps and red buttons - this is a local forum, for local people, there'll be no trouble here......and as for you David, Tubs will see to you later!

Comment

While people are reading this thread, can I ask a bit of advice? Can I use 4 wheel drive on the road? I have a 2nd gen 3.0. I got a 3.0 cos the heads go a=on all the 2.4s...

Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
                    While people are reading this thread, can I ask a bit of advice? Can I use 4 wheel drive on the road? I have a 2nd gen 3.0. I got a 3.0 cos the heads go a=on all the 2.4s...

what time did you start drinking this afternoon????

Comment

copperslip lasts longer than grease.
                      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
                        Yup, nothing to worry about. It's just the steering bump-stops. A blob of grease on them (two on each side) will sort it out.

Ok now time for me to sound like a total muppet................

1) Where does one procure said grease? Assuming somewhere like halfords would stock it, is there any particular type I need to look out for??
                        2) Where/what are the bump stops?!?!

Cheers guys!!!!

Comment

Halfords do some grease, which will do for this, or you could look online for a larger variety or your local motor factors.....

Comment

Halfords do some grease, which will do for this, or you could look online for a larger variety or your local motor factors.....
                            Nice one, once I have got my mits on the stuff where does it have to go, anyone got any pictures??

Comment

could even be power steering belt tensioner.
                              just a idea as my was knocking like hell everytime i turned the steering, belts were tight i thought but when me n stormy checked the motor had worked loose making the belt loose also on the tensioner. went to undo it n bolt snapped so stormy had to redrill it.
                              not saying its that but might be as my knocks when i got it on full lock still but need to grease it or put the plastic caps back on.
                              but ty that it could even have worked itself loose just a idea

Comment

Working...
                              X