crikey its a bit shakey!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crikey its a bit shakey!

dropping some people off this morning, and i was coming up to the m23/a23 bit in surrey,
    its 50mph along there so at about 45mph overdrive kicked in as usual, and i gradually increased the throttle so it pulled and didnt change down.

as soon as any real power starts being put down the whole truck starts shaking like your driving over the bobbly white lines you get at the side of road to wake you up and keep you in lane...
    as soon as you take your foot off the power the vibration goes and it happens every time.

i suspect may be i have worn my prop donut like what happened with the bmw i had a while ago..

i havnt crawled underneath the truck yet but do we have prop doughnuts?

by this i mean a bit that goes round the middle of the prop shaft to support it somewhere on the truck as it is a two piece prop?

i really cant remember what its like underneath :/

oh and if you rev it in neutral its fine, its only when there is torque going through as when your in overdrive and accellerating soon as you ease off the power its fine
    Last edited by dieselboy; 16 February 2008, 13:45.
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

its a single piece prop.with a sliding coupling on the g/box end,you will more than likely find its a worn u/j,
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Sounds like you need to replace your UJ's mate. Theyre cheap enough, just check for play first but sounds very very likely.
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

You say its power related, but is it speed related too?

Could be something as simple as a wheel balance weight has come off.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          You say its power related, but is it speed related too?

Could be something as simple as a wheel balance weight has come off.
          i thought that but then the vibration wouldnt go when you take your foot off the accellerator but stay at the same speed.
          the virbation is bad, i thought the road was dodgy..

if i had a manual i reckon it would do it in 1st under hard accelleration.. but since its auto, the most amount of torque i can get the engine to put through is when its in overdrive.. thats the only time it really pulls - when the turbo boost is almost maximum and the revs are really low like 2000
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
            its a single piece prop.with a sliding coupling on the g/box end,you will more than likely find its a worn u/j,
            thanks for your help all of you..

where is the UJ.. is this the thing that attaches it on to the diff end? isnt there UJs on all the wheels as well or am i getting confused?

may be, just may be, there might be some sort of small coincidence or relation to me now having this problem after i have been doing doughnuts and smoking the rear tyres occasionally

tbh i found out it could do it by accident. i was showing someone how autos are better for drag racing and the back wheels just spun.
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
              thanks for your help all of you..

where is the UJ.. is this the thing that attaches it on to the diff end? isnt there UJs on all the wheels as well or am i getting confused?

may be, just may be, there might be some sort of small coincidence or relation to me now having this problem after i have been doing doughnuts and smoking the rear tyres occasionally

tbh i found out it could do it by accident. i was showing someone how autos are better for drag racing and the back wheels just spun.
              u/j are situated at either end of the prop.and you are getting confused with c/v joints,dont forget to check the front prop too.the c/vs constant velocity joints are found behind the front wheels.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein View Post
                u/j are situated at either end of the prop.and you are getting confused with c/v joints,dont forget to check the front prop too.the c/vs constant velocity joints are found behind the front wheels.
                ah ok!
                thanks for your help!

another question though pls - when i look at it tomorrow what will i be looking for?
                is it ok to drive? the props not going to fall out the bottom is it lol
                and where do i get them? is it a main dealer only part?
                thanks
                Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                  ah ok!
                  thanks for your help!

another question though pls - when i look at it tomorrow what will i be looking for?
                  is it ok to drive? the props not going to fall out the bottom is it lol
                  and where do i get them? is it a main dealer only part?
                  thanks
                  roughtrax £15 each.if you grab hold of the props and rock them backwards and forward and you have more than 5mm of play then i wouldnt drive it.but dont forget there is a certain amount of backlash from the pinion gear.they might just need a good grease up.
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

They should get greased on a regular basis to stop this or at least reduce the wear, so don't forget to pack your new ones every few months.
                    Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

when i first got the truck i greased them about 3 weeks from owning it, then about a month later and then just before we drove round france. but it never looked like the grease was going into where it should. just mainly bubbling up around the nipple even though i got a welding rod and pushed the ball bearing in to clear it out :/
                      i know what they are now these uj things..
                      ill have to crawl under tomorro
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                      X