• Show
Clear All

And just to reiterate, Excel is overkill. First hit from Google:

http://jodies.de/ipcalc

There are cartloads more:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
      It's pretty much irrelevant where public I.P space is concerned. Five minutes with a basic set of *nix tools and they could practically tell you what colout undies you are wearing. Plus, if you set things up correctly, the PTR and A records are giving out quite a bit of basic information to work upon, before you even start with anything else. Pings are a basic connectivity testing tool, but they are the least of your concerns if you want to keep things secure and anonymous.
      its the public addresses we need to keep record of. things like pptp server vpn need an address, the firewall, router and certain situations where machines need an outside address as well.
      pings dont always give a good idea because of access lists. sometimes the only real way to look is to connect to their firewall and see what its doing. but if failover is set up it means they have double the ammount of equipment! lol
      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

And just to reiterate, Excel is overkill. First hit from Google:

http://jodies.de/ipcalc

There are cartloads more:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=
        i just wanted it in excel so once the calculation has been done it can be saved. then at a later date if addresses change.

cheers for your help
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
          i just wanted it in excel so once the calculation has been done it can be saved. then at a later date if addresses change.

cheers for your help
          Good god. Young 'uns these days. What ever happened to copy/paste. By crikey, in our day, pen and paper was all we had. Computers, pah, we weren't even allowed calculators.

Comment

its the public addresses we need to keep record of.
            I was referring to the security concerns where lists of publically available I.P's are concerned. Classing the list as sensitive material is an exercise in futility.

Comment

Good god. Young 'uns these days. What ever happened to copy/paste. By crikey, in our day, pen and paper was all we had. Computers, pah, we weren't even allowed calculators.
              You lost your abacus and sliderule again Matt ?
              Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

pops here

WHO you calling youngun NIPPER
                I'm a custard donut monster

Comment

hehe
                  Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

its no big deal, i was just hoping while it was quiet here today that i could nick one already done and place it on my spreadsheet to help the rest of us when writing up documentation that can take a while, and stops you doin the other things..

basically what i would like to happen is that the spreadsheet would work out each address and list them. when a co. is set up, generally they get 8 public addresses - addresses that are visible from anyone on the tinternet and are routable..

to understand ip addressing there is 4 octets of binary digits. eg:
                    01010010.00010111.00101000.110 11000 = 82.23.40.216

the way to work it out to decimal is like this. the first 1 or 0 is valued at 128. the next is 64, then 32, 16, 8, 4, 2 and 1, so that each of the 8 digits has a value. so if you see the first octet above is 01010010;

128 64 32 16 8 4 2 1
                    0 1 0 1 0 0 1 0
                    this means 64 + 16 + 2 = 82. thats the first octet

the subnet mask defines what part is the subnet address and what are the addresses in that subnet.
                    to make it 8 addresses and not any more or less they use a mask of 255.255.255.248
                    now the .248 is the important part. this in binary is .11111000 notice the last 3 0's.
                    now when you put this together with the network address:
                    .11011000 = .216
                    .11111000 = .255

see the 0's line up. this is where that the .216 is a network address. and then each address would increase up til there was no more available addresses in that subnet. (.11010|000 would be a different subnet address)
                    so,

.11011|001 = 217
                    .11011|010 = 218
                    .11011|011 = 219
                    .11011|100 = 220
                    .11011|101 = 221
                    .11011|110 = 222
                    .11011|111 = 223 = broadcast address

if you use a different mask you can get more or less ip addresses per subnet

all i want it to do is for me to put the full ip address and it to work out all the addresses given the subnet mask, only up to about 10 at max, and then fill out cells with each address in the cell.

if i have confused you even more then ive done a good job :/
                    I've got sockets up to 54mm if that's any good
                    Brian

Comment

Originally posted by UDTrev View Post
                      You lost your abacus and sliderule again Matt ?
                      Sliderule. SLIDERULE. They even classed those as cheating. Oh for the good old days........

Originally posted by jotto View Post
                      pops here

WHO you calling youngun NIPPER
                      Sorry Gramps. I was working on the normal young/old age scale, not the extremely old fart age scale.

Comment

Sliderule. SLIDERULE. They even classed those as cheating. Oh for the good old days........

Sorry Gramps. I was working on the normal young/old age scale, not the extremely old fart age scale.
                        campaign to bring back the cane!
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

campaign to bring back the cane!
                          Too right. Fond memories........ Science teachers favourite used to be the edge of a wooden ruler across the palm of your hand.

Comment

Working...
                          X