Stumped by cig lighter.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stumped by cig lighter.

Cig lighter stooped working and after looking through the previous post's, checked the obvious (fuse in the foot well, removing radio to check the rear and checking for power), but after trying the lighter and my phone charger still nothing, i even checked the socket it's self a power was reading 12v.
    I then asked a neighbor to check the phone charger in his to see if it lit up, which it did in his lighter socket.
    Am i missing something here, cos now i am stumped so any help would be great.
    P.s. how do you remove the socket it's self from the plastic surround in the dash.

Hi, you say it has 12v at the cig lighter, where did you check that voltage from?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

With a muti meter, one probe on the center at the rear of the socket +, and the- on the front of the socket outer casing

Comment

If it's not working your gizmo's then you need to remove it from the housing, and check the voltage on the two wires behind, or find another negative to test it from.
        It could also be wired up wrong, but that usually blows the fuse in whatever you plug into it.
        Rob

Comment

Thanks for that, how is it removed from it's housing in the dash, as i don,t want to force or bust it......

Comment

I've no idea on a surf, but usually they either just pull out, or will have a back nut, which will require the removeal of a panel.

Let me just go out and have a look at mine.

Oh, what model is yours, 2nd or 3rd gen?:
            Rob

Comment

2nd Bob........

Comment

If it's got 12v on the centre at the bottom, and earth on the metal ring that sits round the top edge then, electrically it's working.

There's two sizes, 19mm and 22m i think. Try bending the metal bits on the side of the cig lighter plug on your phone charger out just a touch, or twisting it round 1/4 of a turn in the socket or just applying a bit of pressure to one side or the other. It's probably just that it's not making very good contact.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Ok, looks like you'll have to remove the plastic panel under the radio ( the one the lighter is fitted into)

Just remove the screws around it, and possibly the oe under the steering wheel, and the glove box too, not a bad job, just fiddly.

Here's a good write up from Nero, just find the bit that applies to your needs.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...t=dash+removal
                  Rob

Comment

O.K., been and had another look, took stereo out again and the cubby box underneath to expose the top of the cig lighter housing, if you feel around at the rear of the lighter housing you can just feel a sheet metal formed nut on the back.
                    undo this and the socket is in 3 piece's, the cig lighter socket, the facier around it on the dash side and an outer shroud that has the light in side that comes on with you side lights/head lights, pull off the red + wire and the - is connected to the outer shroud that contains the illumination bulb.
                    Taken it all out and re earthed it and took a new + supply to it and still nothing, so i,ll have to replace the unit itself as it must be broken all together.
                    Thanks for the help, two or many heads are better just one.

Comment

I know youve sorted it already, but a tip for future readers of this thread.

The cigarette lighter has a sort of fuse link at the back. Its added protection, should the fuse be oversized, or fails to blow. You can repair it, as I did- or just buy a new lighter.

Cheers
                      私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

Is that just the OEM one, or do they all have a fusable link?
                        Rob

Comment

Not sure, just repaired the one, think it was the OEM.
                          Dont misunderstand me, its not a replaceable part, what i mean is it works like a fuseable link. If you turn the lighter over where the electrical connector fits to it, theres a peice of copper or steel, ?? that is bend at 90 degrees, one end is where the connector connects and the other end of this wire is whats connected to the centre pin of the lighter. I shouldn't suggest replacing it, but i did, with 30amp fuse wire cause it was the night before i needed to use it and i had some fuse wire handy. I would suggest to replace the whole lighter assembly if this link is burnt through, damaged, etc.
                          私のホバークラフト は鰻が一杯です。

Comment

It's just your Surfs way of telling you to give up smoking!

Comment

Working...
                            X