Rustproofing tip (Take2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rustproofing tip (Take2)

. This is a good tip for rustproofing your truck its easy and quick. I used a plastic pump action sprayer, and mixed 2 litres old engine oil with 1.5 litres of white spirit, but even then only used half of it, coats really well and gets right in everywhere.

Please be aware of the volatility of these chemicals and take all the necessary precautions. Wear gloves and a mask, and always put something under where you are working, carpet for example.

Without Surf And Unhappy

Hehehe!!

Comment

I don't believe that old engine oil is a good thing for rubber bushes. Might be worth checking before spraying any more.

Nev

Comment

Good thought mate, worth researching, when i say old, i mean 3000 miles. I understood it to feed the rubber like it does for seals in the engine. But checkworthy nonetheless.

Cheers mate.
        Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Will it not get washed off easily?
          Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Surprisingly not, i even tried powerwashing over it and the water just beads up and drops off, the chassis also looks a nice shiny black just painted finish to it. I reckon on it lasting 3 months or so, and for the winter that means only 2 treatments. The summer aint a problem of course
            Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

I suppose not, when you think how hard it is to get engine oil off anything, the only downside is that you won't be able to see if you have any oil leaks.
              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

i bet it will be quite intresting the first time u get the engine hot,smoke pouring out lolol

Comment

Good Idea

Fish oil works pretty good aswell. I buy a couple aerosol cans of it every six months and do the underside of the hilux. Easy to do and less messy than oil. The only down side is your car smells like a fish mongers for the next couple of weeks.

Nifty Nev asked about the rubber components. What about if you use synthetic oil's?
                  Harden the Fuk Up Princess

Comment

Good show old chap.

Btw, you ain't deleted the other thread too have you?

With regards to what Nev mentioned with oil and rubber, don't know the exact truth, but I can remember getting an earful years ago for lubing some rubber bushes, (Clubman engine mount bushes), for fitting with motor oil due to it's supposed degradatory effect on natural/pure rubber. Never checked the specifics, however.

Comment

Yes I did, its a fresh start with a new perspective. And i have taken Nev's thought on board and gonna avoid bushes and such in future, aint hard to miss em.
                      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

Yeah think Nev may be right, if i remember right the bushes on my old PA sort of oozzed out, thats the one i used to spray oil (and petrol) on/under, my first car, i was green as grass, also tipped fi=glass resin in the doors to block up the "holes" in em, of course they filled up with rain water, stupid sod, had to chizel it out
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner View Post
                          Yes I did, its a fresh start with a new perspective.
                          Is it safe to reply to any of your threads, or is it an exercise in futility?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            Is it safe to reply to any of your threads, or is it an exercise in futility?

i was looking for em as well
                            Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Me to what’s the point of hurling abuse and taking the p1ss if its going to be deleted I am going to go and sulk now.
                              Last edited by div3r; 10 February 2008, 19:17.

Comment

Working...
                              X