Advice on buying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on buying

Hi guys been away for a while and i havent been able to chase up the replys in my first post sorry!!!

Ok now for more questions.

I went to look at a Gen 3 1996 surf today. Man that car was a right dog. the drivers side electric window console was falling apart not to mention the offside electric windows were not working, not to mention the dashboard just above the speedo clocks looked like someone tried to rip it in half, It had surf stickers which looked like they were melting in the loveley weather we had today.........

What else do i need to keep a look out for guys please. i really want one but dont want to buy a trolllop. i want to make sure the car i buy is a ok. thanks guys.

Amar

P.s its a 3.0 td im after

Give us something to go on............

Whats the maximum you want to spend?

2nd or 3rd gen 3.0 ?

What part of the 'urban jungle' do you live in? i.e. how far are you willing to travel?

Some here anyway.......

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/fo...c&daysprune=30

Comment

i would go for a 3.0 SSR G comes with all the nice trim
      look under it check all diffs for oily paches= (diffs going or gone)
      look at the gear box for atf paches= (pump seals gone or going)
      look round the iner side of the tires for break fluid runs =(breaks gone)
      get hold of the wheels with both hands and give them a good shake to see if its got any play if it has= (bearings going or gone)
      then look under the bonet wipe your fingers over the bulk head to see is there is any soot =(blowing from turbo or mamafold)
      look round the engine to see if there is any oil makes round the top and back of the head (head gesket gone or going)
      check the bottom of the engine to see if there is oily dip marks =(oil leek or fuel leek)

if you find non of the above
      leave the bonnet up then start it to see if there is any smoke comeing out of the bonnet area on a start up just to make sure all the seals are sealed

drive it if its sound nice then it probly is them 3.0 quite quik put your boot down and keep an ear on the gear box just has it get to change gear if you hear no vibebraions come from the box then its cool give it a good run working its auto box (if thats what your going for) make sure its nice and hot when you go to disscuss the price with the owner its just if there is anythging wrong it tends to show when a surf is hot
      look under it again to see if there is any thing dripping out

i just know what a well batted surf looks like
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post
        get hold of the wheels with both hands and give them a good shake to see if its got any play if it has= (bearings going or gone)
        then look under the bonet wipe your fingers over the bulk head to see is there is any soot =(blowing from turbo or mamafold)
        look round the engine to see if there is any oil makes round the top and back of the head (head gesket gone or going)
        check the bottom of the engine to see if there is oily dip marks =(oil leek or fuel leek)

leave the bonnet up then start it to see if there is any smoke comeing out of the bonnet area on a start up just to make sure all the seals are sealed

drive it if its sound nice then it probly is them 3.0 quite quik put your boot down and keep an ear on the gear box just has it get to change gear if you hear no vibebraions come from the box then its cool give it a good run working its auto box (if thats what your going for) make sure its nice and hot when you go to disscuss the price with the owner its just if there is anythging wrong it tends to show when a surf is hot

Also, if the engine is already warm/running when you get there, be suspicious and ask why.
        Any problems will be heard better on an engine that has started from stone cold.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Give us something to go on............

Whats the maximum you want to spend?

2nd or 3rd gen 3.0 ?

What part of the 'urban jungle' do you live in? i.e. how far are you willing to travel?

Some here anyway.......

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/fo...c&daysprune=30

At the moment my budget is £3500 ish. I live in Ilford Essex, travelling wise distance is no object i am prepared to go as far as scotland if i have to ( any excuse to get away from the wife!!!!! )

I know Gen 2 prob i would be able to get one with my budget but im looking for a Gen 3.

Im not in a real rush however if i do come across a minter then shes will be mine. And the plus side of waiting is every month is i can put aside £1000 every month towards the hilux fund.

If i hold out till next month i will prob have around $4000 prob more if i sell my Wifes micra (btw if anyone is interested W reg 80000miles 2 door lovley little motor )

Cheers Mr Bushwacker you aint the wrestler from the WWF back in the 90's are you??? if so can i get an autograph

Last edited by ma1lik; 10 February 2008, 13:19.

Comment

Originally posted by JUDWAK View Post

Thanks judwak, More pointers i will put on my checklist. This one i saw yesterday seemed fairly clean from outside and underneath , however as we all no a quick power wash and steam clean and bobs your uncle you wouldnt know what hit you.

What about turbos? has anyone had any probs with turbos? Also I dont want to sound silly but im not very familiar with deisel engines, on a petrol its fairly easy to do a compression test to get a idea of how everything is on the inside how would you do it with the deisel , what would be the way to do it with a deisel would you remove the injectors? (sorry like i said i dont think have ever had a deisel motor)

Comment

Working...
            X