newbie looking for a surf to run on veg oil advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbie looking for a surf to run on veg oil advice needed

testi am thinking of changing my frontera for something else but hoping to get better economy, i know the surfs are not very good on fuel but i was wondering what the running costs are using veg oil in the 2.4 and 3.0 engines, what is the most economical to run on veg oil and can you give me an idea on what it will cost to run.

what is the highest percentage of veg oil can be used in winter and summer.

it may be the surf is not economical enought but they look so good and i want one

why is it the surfs are so expensive, theres a 92 J near me 2.4ssxr for £2500 with a 2" lift, it has a short mot just seems steep but looks very nice. http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/286107.htm

at the moment my frontera gets 29 mpg on diesel so works out around 17p per mile
    !996 3.0td 3rd Gen Surf

Welcome to the nut house!

Most of us who use veg oil use from about 40% in winter to 80% in summer.

My 2.4 gets about 20mpg, but I have a heavy right foot. 25 ish is doable if you are careful.

Only things to look out for when buying a used surf are the heads on the 2.4s, they are prone to cracking. And only ever buy a blue one, the rest are cr4p.

Later on today, a grown up will come along and help you a bit more...
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Later on today, a grown up will come along and help you a bit more...
      We have some on here?

Do a search. There's cartloads of info on this subject already.

Welcome, btw.

Comment

Hi there, sorry to say you are looking at totally the wrong truck if fuel economy figure highly in your purchase decision these things weigh upwards of 2200kg so unless you can figure out how to run one on fresh air it ain't ever gonna be cheap, these things are BIG, will make any frontera (can I say that here without getting flamed? ) look puney by comparision, especially if you are looking at something with a body and or suspension lift...

a fully lifted truck will be something like 7 foot tall!!

have a look back the for sale section, there was a really nice one in the preston area recently, don't know if it's still for sale.
        Toot! Toot!

Comment

£2500 for any 2.4 is overpriced, even an absolutely mint, low mileage one, with everything working, and all the extras and paperwork and a steve-o head should fetch no more than £2000 as an absolute limit.

There's been 3.0 litre versions going at under £2000 on a couple of occasions.

I've just bought a 2.4 with a dent in one rear door, and leaky fuel pump seals for £350, with all the extras and so on, so i'd expect to pay about £50 for a straight door when one comes up in the right colour, and to get the pump out and sorted i reckon around £200. So £600 and it's an almost mint J reg SSRG. Realistically though for a 2.4 you should be looking in the £1000-£1500 price bracket for one with reasonable length (6-8 months) tax and mot in good condition and ready to drive away.
          =========
          =SOLD UP!=
          =========

Comment

As a side note I doubt very much that the truck you posted pics of has any kind of lift body or othrwise lift over a stock truck.

Some owners just reprint the inaccurate info they have been told when the bought the thing in good faith.

Take someone who knows what a modified surf looks like and you wont pay for something it hasn't got
            Brian

Comment

Welcome Black Bob

I have just started running on veg and i prefer it to diesel its smoother running and cheep!

Here is some good info.
              http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41668

I have a 3ltr 3 gen and it is not (economical) but like Dee said these things are big and heavy, he missed out absolutely fantastic and the best thing since sliced bread.

I have spent near to £200 on fuel in two weeks driving. But i do drive a silly amount of miles. However i expect that i could have more than halved this with an economical sm*rt car or similar but i would have dvt by now and not have such a big grin on my face.

The veg oil option definatly takes the edge of the cost of driving. especially at 56p per ltr.
              If it can be broken it can be fixed

Comment

i never realised the surfs were so heavy on fuel, most of my driving will be on by pass roads and where my new job is i will be doing over 500 miles a week inc the usual running about. I was hoping to get some kinda 4x4 with lpg but its mostly big cherokees with 4.0 engines for sale with lpg and i dont think even with lpg they are very economical.

i know the veg oil makes a big difference to the running costs, as much as i want one i dont think its going to be too much to run even with veg oil.

I know i could get a super economy diesel but i still want to be driving something decent so i dont get bored driving.

i worked ou with my current frontera 2.8tdi (cant run veg) i get 29mpg, doing the estimated 500 miles a week and diesel at £1.09 it would cost me £85.50 for the week

running a surf in winter and getting 23mpg as its mostly cruising at 70mph and 40% veg (56p a litre) in winter the same 500 miles would cost £86.43

running a surf in the summer and getting 23mpg and using 80% veg the same 500 miles would cost £67.07.

so after doing the sums it looks like even with veg its not an affordable option for me as i will be doing so many miles, that sucks.
                !996 3.0td 3rd Gen Surf

Comment

Dare I say "Horses for Courses" but ya'll never have a bigger Grin on ya face !!n ya can even get the kitchen sink onboard aswell .... Oh + the offroading capabilities !!! Summertime I'm 100% veg .....
                  I ya chose the WVO route = even cheaper fuel costs !!!!

There's always a Payback .... Ya just nevr see it Comin !!!!
                  Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by black_bob View Post
                    i never realised the surfs were so heavy on fuel, most of my driving will be on by pass roads and where my new job is i will be doing over 500 miles a week inc the usual running about. I was hoping to get some kinda 4x4 with lpg but its mostly big cherokees with 4.0 engines for sale with lpg and i dont think even with lpg they are very economical.

i know the veg oil makes a big difference to the running costs, as much as i want one i dont think its going to be too much to run even with veg oil.

I know i could get a super economy diesel but i still want to be driving something decent so i dont get bored driving.

i worked ou with my current frontera 2.8tdi (cant run veg) i get 29mpg, doing the estimated 500 miles a week and diesel at £1.09 it would cost me £85.50 for the week

running a surf in winter and getting 23mpg as its mostly cruising at 70mph and 40% veg (56p a litre) in winter the same 500 miles would cost £86.43

running a surf in the summer and getting 23mpg and using 80% veg the same 500 miles would cost £67.07.

so after doing the sums it looks like even with veg its not an affordable option for me as i will be doing so many miles, that sucks.
                    hI BLACK BOB, PLEASE SEE THIS THREAD FOR SOME MORE INFO.

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...ad.php?t=41794
                    Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Working...
                    X