X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Pump leak

Hi Guys,

A bit of adivce needed please.

I recently noticed that my truck (1992 SSR-G, 2.4l) was leaving small puddles of veg/diesel mix when left parked up - a very slow leak as only noticed it whe I happened to leave it overnight on a clean surface.

Took it to the garage today and it is a slow leak from the fuel pump, although they couldn't say exactly what was causing it.

Now, is the fuel pump easily serviceable i.e. replacing seals or is it more likely to need replacing. I was advised to stop at Lucas's to pick up a kit, but they seemed either unable or unwilling to be of assistance - saying that if the pump is stripped down it would need recalibrating as it is electronically controlled.

Now I am no mechanic so I really am not sure what is right here - hopefully one of you guys with more experience can offer some advice?

Many thanks in advance.

Dale
    Last edited by rockdrill; 7 February 2008, 14:23.

if you do a search you'll get loads of advice but:

You can get seal kits from Milners or me as i have a set I didnt use.
    If you are lucky it will be either the top plate or one of the side plates or the soleniod thats leaking. All with the exception of one sideplate that faces the engine can be repaired with the pump in stitu.

If its the leaking from the distribution block on the back then its pump out and away.

Various tricks you can try transmission fluid etc to get the seals to swell again after the veg oil shrinks them but they only put off the enevitable.

Mine has never seen veg and was leaking from 3 places big job getting it out so sent it off to be resealed by Diesel Bob. If you are going to use veg then he will fit the appropriate seals etc.

Diesel bob tuning 01254 878790

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk

Done mine for £228+ vat I fitted/removed it myself but would suggest you need to be fairly competent mechanic or as I am engineer.

Steve
    Should have bought a 3ltr

Comment

Steve,

Thank you for the input.

After posting the thread I found a selection of 'related topics' appeared at the bottom of the screen, so I am copying them and printing them to show to my regular garage guys and see if it can get sorted.

One thing I forgot to add mine is the 2.4 Turbo EFI engine, does that significantly alter the potential causes and fixes for a leak?

Dale
      Last edited by rockdrill; 7 February 2008, 14:22. Reason: detail added

Comment

No

Comment

Are you useing a veg oil mix in your truck? mine started leaking on a 50/50 mix but i thinned it down to aprox 70/30 and added some unleaded and it's stopped, i will do the seals soon as tho,
          Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

Yes, using a mix of veg/diesel up to 70% veg and works well over the last few months.

This leak has only appeared in the last week to 10 days.

From what I can see it doesn't appear to be leaking from the distribution cap side of the pump, leading me to suspect the other seals.

What sort of seal resists the effect of veg?

Dale

Comment

I forget the proper name but new seals will be resistant, try thinning the veg down and see if the leak stops, it's just because of the colder weather, useually fine in the summer,

Comment

Your Surf is fitted with a Diesel engine…… so maybe that is a clue as to what you should be putting in the fuel tank! Even I know that and my Surf runs on petrol

Did you tell the guys at the garage that you have been putting veg oil in the tank? Did they snigger under their breath?
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Hehe, well to be pendantic (?) their compression ignition engines, and if your going back to originals then maybe they should be called peanut oil engines,
                  only thing that make's em leak is the thicker veg oil (in cold weather, plus of course the old composition seals) the pump's working harder to "pump" it, thinning or heating will sort that,

Comment

Originally posted by PDR View Post
                    Did you tell the guys at the garage that you have been putting veg oil in the tank? Did they snigger under their breath?
                    No - the smell of deep frying alerted them to it.

As to sniggering if they want to that is fine after all it is a case of DILLIGAF - the ###### engine runs OK on it and it is legal.

As far as I am aware of history, Popeye is correct to say that Mr Diesel's engine is a compression ignition system originally designed around the combustion of peanut oil, the name Diesel being applied to a refined fraction of mineral oil at a later date.

Comment

Diesel

The name Diesel was applied after the name of the guy who invented the system... Herr Rudolf Christian Karl Diesel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel#Etymology

Comment

Hi rock. If it comes to it i am taking a 2.4 fuel pump out of the breaker i got here.I can't see any signs of leaks while its in the truck but i'm hoping to get it out over the next few days.If you need it let me know £75 or if you wanted to get yours refurbed then your welcome to borrow it till yours is done.
                        https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

If he's still stuck after seven months, he probably needs more than an I.P Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                            If he's still stuck after seven months, he probably needs more than an I.P Rich.
                            what a muppet.i just saw the thread and never looked at the date on it
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                              what a muppet.i just saw the thread and never looked at the date on it
                              lololol,ps thats alot less than yr price for a 3.0 pump!

Comment

Working...
                              X