What car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What car?

Hi all, just about halfway through my first week in the new job, and it seems ok.
    I've been driving the van to the office, which gets me about 40mpg at 70-80 mph on the motorway, and it's a 100 mile round trip.

If I drive the surf, the mpg will be about 20 if I do the 70-80 mph, and about 30mpg if I keep to 60ish ( but this would increase the journey time.

Bear with me, I'm coming to the point.

It just ain't economical to run the surf 500 miles a week, let alone the risk of breakdown.

So the question is, what car do I get to do the commute to work. If the van goes back, there'll be no money back for trade in etc, if I sell the surf I might get £1500 if I'm lucky ( but I'd rather keep it if poss)

I have looked at the BMW 5 series, ( and the 635csi, but not practical) and wondered if a diesel would be best even though petrol is cheaper now.

Also looked at the old merc 190 D, coz they're bullit proof and will run on veg oil, and give about 40mpg.

So, what do you all think? can I afford to run the surf to work??
    Or do I need to get a cheaper to run vehicle?
    Rob

Still working for the man!

I'd go for something more economical, personally.

Comment

As you only want/need a commuter car, get something cheap, economical and easy to look after, like a VW Passat or Mundano or similar - they may not win beauty contests, but you have the Surf for that, right??

I'd get a Golf or something.....
      Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Yes, that's what I was thinking, but, I was hoping for some more detailed suggestions on which car, and why.

Let's say my budget would be around £2k, and and it will be mostly motorway work, and I'd like an auto please.
        Rob

Comment

A mate has just got a Peugeot 306 1.9td, 9 y.o. for £1100.

It is solid, goes like stink and he's getting about 55mpg on motorway runs.

Nice drive too! And its got the old GTI alloys on it.

edit - its a manual!
          Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
            As you only want/need a commuter car, get something cheap, economical and easy to look after, like a VW Passat or Mundano or similar - they may not win beauty contests, but you have the Surf for that, right??

I'd get a Golf or something.....
            Hi Andy, Yes, the passat is a good workhorse, and v. reliable. mondeo is awwwfulll.
            Rob

Comment

ive got a 1.8 vectra for sale,v reg 1.8 petrol,and a 51 plate rover 25,1.4 petrol?

Comment

Originally posted by The Lovely Boyo View Post
                A mate has just got a Peugeot 306 1.9td, 9 y.o. for £1100.

It is solid, goes like stink and he's getting about 55mpg on motorway runs.

Nice drive too! And its got the old GTI alloys on it.

edit - its a manual!
                Hi Andy, I'd take a manual for that money, I did think about a pug, as they can take plenty of miles, and are cheap to service.
                Rob

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                  ive got a 1.8 vectra for sale,v reg 1.8 petrol,and a 51 plate rover 25,1.4 petrol?
                  I ain't got the money yet, I'm just starting the research, so that when the house is sold, I can buy the car to help me start saving money.

The surf costs me about £10 a week to keep on the road, unless I actually drive it, so I only starts to break the bank once you turn the key.
                  Rob

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                    I ain't got the money yet, I'm just starting the research, so that when the house is sold, I can buy the car to help me start saving money.

The surf costs me about £10 a week to keep on the road, unless I actually drive it, so I only starts to break the bank once you turn the key.
                    ok,well bare me in mind ive always got diffrent cars on the go,ps vectra 800,rover 900

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                      ok,well bare me in mind ive always got diffrent cars on the go,ps vectra 800,rover 900
                      Aye, will do, I only looked at the mercs and beemers coz they got a good reliability rep, and hold their price on resale, and also are a nice drive when I got 100 mile a day to do all on the motorway.
                      Rob

Comment

get a 2000 ford focus diesel estate, great cars for commuting and they are really frugal + reliable and the engines last forever !

Comment

Re What Car

Hi Plumbob

I had a similar problem to you with what to do.
                          I had thoughts of a small car like a Pug 106 diesel or a Mondeo estate.
                          I looked at a combination of things including cost mpg, safety and age against repair and running costs.
                          I had a little more money to buy a car than 2k and you do get what you pay for.
                          If I would have got what I wanted I would have got a mondeo estate on a 52 plate or newer you can pick one if these up 4 just over 2k and they will return near 50 mpg on a not too bad insurance group.
                          But as usual you don't always get what you want
                          In the end I have a Renault Meagane estate 1.5dci Paid about 3k IG4 700 miles on a tank and kept the surf for towing and bad weather.

Only bad points OPEC have taken me off the Christmas card list so have Tesco as I don,t need to fill up every 5 days.
                          Also we just aint getting the snow to go and play

But I still have the big grin when I go out in the surf.

hope my story helps

Steve

Comment

Yes thanks, this is the kind of feedback I'm looking for, I guess I'm like most people, in that I'm looking at what I'd like to have, versus what is actually most practical.

But a comfortable, reliable car that returns 50mpg would be just the job, so then I can spend what money is left out of my wages on a house ( if I can afford one)

Of course the other option would be to run the surf on 75% veg oil at £0.56p/litre, as £2000 would give me a years worth of fuel at that price.

And of course I would have the pleasure of driving the surf every day.
                            Rob

Comment

another thought

As you are still logged in I thought I would expand on things you need to bear in mind.

Insurance

A plan have given me a good deal on the 2nd car so I pay £200 on each.
                              remember the Meagne is a group3. not a 4 as a said earlier.
                              A hot hatch might cost more.

A smaller car is faster nippier (but less intimidating)

with a second car you can work on the up keep on the surf and still be mobile.

the downside for me is less clubcard points so less back from Mr Tesco

oh don't forget the green issue. Lower your carbon footprint.
                              (save it up for a big thrashing)

Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X