Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some newbie questions, pls

Hi

My first day on the forum - now, just to state - I've already searched quite a bit and am not coming on looking for info without being willing to do some searching myself.

As far as I have found out, the gen2 cracking head problem was in 92/93 ? So, any 2nd gen produced from 94+ shouldn't have this problem ?

Also, I searched here and found a site by DieselBob and he does a piggyback which gives "minimum" of 20% more power - many people got this done on the 2nd gen models ? is it noticeable or do you end up saying "I think it seems to have more power" ?

And finally, I saw a write up on cambelt change for a 3rd Gen - is 2nd gen as easy ? (I'm an MR2 turbo owner - so, the high lift and space in engine bay will be like heaven for me !

P.S. how do I tell from version /model numbers whether a Surf will have the spare wheel underneath or on the tailgate ?

TIA
    Rob

As far as I have found out, the gen2 cracking head problem was in 92/93 ? So, any 2nd gen produced from 94+ shouldn't have this problem ?
    '94 on were mainly 3.0 Litre engines.

Also, I searched here and found a site by DieselBob and he does a piggyback which gives "minimum" of 20% more power - many people got this done on the 2nd gen models ? is it noticeable or do you end up saying "I think it seems to have more power" ?
    The jury is still out on the BoBox. The best person to ask is Apache!

And finally, I saw a write up on cambelt change for a 3rd Gen - is 2nd gen as easy ? (I'm an MR2 turbo owner - so, the high lift and space in engine bay will be like heaven for me !
    The 3.0 engine timing belts can be change within 45 mins for a first timer.

P.S. how do I tell from version /model numbers whether a Surf will have the spare wheel underneath or on the tailgate ?

I don't think there's a model number re: spare wheel mounting, it depends what the original owner specified. Generally though, nearly all 3rd gen trucks (late '96 on) have the spare on the tailgate.

Welcome to the forum by the way, enjoy your stay.

Comment

i dont know any ansawer's
      but welcom to the forum dude
      am not die lex sick its you that cant read mate

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
        '94 on were mainly 3.0 Litre engines.

The jury is still out on the BoBox. The best person to ask is Apache!

The 3.0 engine timing belts can be change within 45 mins for a first timer.

I don't think there's a model number re: spare wheel mounting, it depends what the original owner specified. Generally though, nearly all 3rd gen trucks (late '96 on) have the spare on the tailgate.

Welcome to the forum by the way, enjoy your stay.
        Ta for the info -

another q that I couldn't find by searching - can you tell me if you can take the tailgate mounted spare wheel and put it underneath ? Or if you have the tailgate option, you're stuck with it ?

On the cracked head problem (which people seem to say is exaggerated) - am I safe with a 91 ? Suppose the further I go back, the more chance I have other parts will fail due to normal wear and tear. So, might be as well to go for the 93 and hope I don't get a dodgy head.

Although, was planning to fit a larger intercooler - or possible even a chargecooler (if possible) - I'm new to diesel engines, but I take it excessive heat is the enemy of a diesel engine as well ? the cooler intake temps the better ?

Ta
        Rob

Comment

Welcome to the forum.

Just to add to what Vince (Bushwacker) has said...

The head cracking is mainly a 2.4 problem. Not all 2.4s have cracked, so it's not guaranteed. 3.0s seem to be more resistant, but there have been a couple of forum members who have had cracked 3.0s. Age also doesn't seem to be a factor, other an older car has had more time for the fault to develop.

As I recall, those that have fitted the BoBox were generally unimpressed. I was thinking of one myself, but decided against it.

Changing the belt on a 2.4 is a pig of a job. On a 3.0 it's easy.

Rear hanging was an option across the range, and standard on the SSR-G (top of the range) IIRC. It seems to have been quite popular for the first Jap owner to have ticked the box. My 3.0 has a rear mounted spare, and I think it does look good. But I do also miss the versatility that the underslung spare on my 2.4 gave me for carrying large/long loads with the tailgate down easily. If you want to undersling your spare from a rear mounted, you'll need to source the lifting mechanism that holds the spare in place. Shouldn't be hard as there is always someone looking to relocate their underslung onto the back (which is a much harder conversion, involves reinforcing the wing, and moving stuff around on the tailgate) so you can just swap the bits between you.
          Paul </Slugsie>
          Immortal.so far!

Comment

Originally posted by rwilson_ie View Post
            Ta for the info -

Although, was planning to fit a larger intercooler - or possible even a chargecooler (if possible) - I'm new to diesel engines, but I take it excessive heat is the enemy of a diesel engine as well ? the cooler intake temps the better ?

Ta
            Rob

Welcome to the asylum !

Just a point you may not be aware of - only the 3rd gens had the intercooler option but there's nothing to stop you fitting one yourself

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Thaks everyone for replies/info.

We're basically screwed over here on road tax and so, my decision on which model rests with co2 !

Anyone know what sort of co2 the 2.4td puts out ? 3rd gen 3L is about 250ish ? (that would cost us 2k euro in road tax here in Ireland ! )

Rob

Comment

I have an 89 truck and have a rew bit that needed replacment due to wear and tear but i thing that 18 years and about 130000 miles is not that bad really (the girlfriends 6 year peugeot with only 32000 mile is needing stuff replaced due to wear!!)

These trucks go on and on. You should be worried about getting a crap one cos it doesn't matter how well made they are if it hasn't been looked after properly things will go wrong. just take your time looking and make sure its been looked after and that you look after it and you will be amazed with what these trucks will do and put up with.

It will take a bit of getting used to after your MR2 you will feel like your going backwards if you get a 2.4 for a while but if your like me then you will start getting to like the layed back driving style of these beasts, well until you get it offroad and then it can be unleashed!!

good luck in your search and hopefully see you at one of the meets soon!!

just seen your over the water so might not see you at the meets but your more than welcome!!
                it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by rwilson_ie View Post
                  Thaks everyone for replies/info.

We're basically screwed over here on road tax and so, my decision on which model rests with co2 !

Anyone know what sort of co2 the 2.4td puts out ? 3rd gen 3L is about 250ish ? (that would cost us 2k euro in road tax here in Ireland ! )

Rob
                  dont have to worry if it was made before 2001 the new rules don't apply, YET!!!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
                    dont have to worry if it was made before 2001 the new rules don't apply, YET!!!
                    Irish laws mate, different to ours! an not so favorable to them... poor s*ds! first the spuds - now this!!

welcome newbie

you cant go wrong getting one, great relaxing drive, good load space - one of the largest around!!

well worth getting one

Comment

sounds rubbish, and they have to have euros too! think you summed it up about owning these trucks!!

Comment

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
                        sounds rubbish, and they have to have euros too! think you summed it up about owning these trucks!!

Im glad we never made the change to Euros.

Im not sure what a surf is worth in ireland - hopefully cheaper to offset the monster tax!

I think if you remove the backseats you can call it a commerical vehicle or something. Im sure our Irish members will be here soon

Comment

Here's our Tax bands from 1st July 2008

Motor Tax Rates for New Cars and Pre-owned Imported Cars
                          with effect from 1 July 2008
                          Band CO2 emissions - grams per kilometre Rate
                          A
                          under 120 €100.00
                          B between 121 and 140 €150.00
                          C between 141 and 155 €290.00
                          D between 156 and 170 €430.00
                          E between 171 and 190 €600.00
                          F between 191 and 225 €1,000.00
                          G over 225 €2,000.00

So, does anyone know what co2 emissions the 2.4TD produces ? I've searched all over and got no emissions info.

TIA
                          Rob

Comment

Working...
                          X