Tyres

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyres

Can you mix tyres.....AT tyres at the front and MT tyres at the back ?

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...m26b0s495p6593 are they MT ?

Thinking of putting these on the back ?

Cheers

Mark

You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Will make handling a bit unpredictable.

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm View Post
      You can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Will make handling a bit unpredictable.
      more likley to loose the back end ?
      Uneven breaking?
      are the MT worse on the road?

Pros and cons Plz

Tar

Comment

I already have two different makes on the truck one version of AT on the front and another different brand on the Back is there such a difference between MT an AT is what I am trying to find out??

(Yes I know one is All Terrain and the othe is Mud terrain chunky tread)

Cheers
        Mark

Comment

Originally posted by madcampbell View Post
          more likley to loose the back end ?
          Uneven breaking?
          are the MT worse on the road?

Pros and cons Plz
          Cons:
          All the major responses are different -- braking, drag, lateral grip, lateral stiffness etc.

Depends on road conditions and your driving style. Could just be a little squirmy under braking, could shimmy under acceleration, could lose the back in corners. Also unpredictable behavior when switching micro-climates (i.e. from wet patches to dry patches, or hot to cold)

Either way, you could be fine. Or you could end up backwards in a ditch. The less aggressive your driving, the less likely.

Pros:
          Cheaper.
          Easier than carrying a spare set of wheels & tyres to off-road site.
          Last edited by cataclysm; 30 January 2008, 17:05.

Comment

Hello i run mud on the rear and at on the front. I did this cos i needed to replace two tyres dues to side wall damage and could not afford to get muds all round or a second set of wheels. I have not found any of the issues that cataclysm reports. Its a tow and a half ton truck with a 2.4 litre engine, not sure about you guys but mine dont really lights up the rear wheels and since owning it i have found i drive slower and at a speed suitable to the road conditions. I have had the back end step out once going round a roundabout about 15 to 20 mph when it was raining hard, i think it had more to do with body roll than my tyres as normally they are fine.

Hope this helps cos everyone knows the ideal would be two sets of wheels but cost does not always allow. good luck with this issue and if you do try it just take it easy and enjoy the ride and you should be fine, although that is how you drive anyway being the responsible surf owner we all are!!!
            it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by cataclysm View Post
              Cons:
              All the major responses are different -- braking, drag, lateral grip, lateral stiffness etc.

Depends on road conditions and your driving style. Could just be a little squirmy under braking, could shimmy under acceleration, could lose the back in corners. Also unpredictable behavior when switching micro-climates (i.e. from wet patches to dry patches, or hot to cold)

Either way, you could be fine. Or you could end up backwards in a ditch. The less aggressive your driving, the less likely.

Pros:
              Cheaper.
              Easier than carrying a spare set of wheels & tyres to off-road site.
              Thanks for the explanation cataclysm

Originally posted by drunkmonkeyboy View Post
              Hello i run mud on the rear and at on the front. I did this cos i needed to replace two tyres dues to side wall damage and could not afford to get muds all round or a second set of wheels. I have not found any of the issues that cataclysm reports. Its a tow and a half ton truck with a 2.4 litre engine, not sure about you guys but mine dont really lights up the rear wheels and since owning it i have found i drive slower and at a speed suitable to the road conditions. I have had the back end step out once going round a roundabout about 15 to 20 mph when it was raining hard, i think it had more to do with body roll than my tyres as normally they are fine.

Hope this helps cos everyone knows the ideal would be two sets of wheels but cost does not always allow. good luck with this issue and if you do try it just take it easy and enjoy the ride and you should be fine, although that is how you drive anyway being the responsible surf owner we all are!!!
              Thanks drunkmonkeyboy I am with you on this one, I will take it steady and like you have found the surf has calmed my driving...... more or less

Comment

Hehe!! shimmy on acceleration in deed, i frekin wish
                Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

mine wheels spins!!

Comment

You're probably right. The 2.4 ain't exactly a speed-machine.
                    My comments above are very much on the cautious side, and a gentle driver won't see any of that.

But I really want to keep a note of caution: it's not the 99.99% fine that counts, it's the 0.01% bad that'll get you; driving gently is fine, but what about when that school kid runs out without looking? Even if the worst doesn't happen and everyone walks away, the moment a lawyer or police officer gets a sniff that you were running odd tyres, they'll do their best to roast you.

I'm not trying to say that it's wrong, but just that it's worth really thinking about.

Comment

Working...
                    X