Solid Front Axle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solid Front Axle

Whilst sat waiting for a flight to arrive at Heathrow in the early hours of this morning, I was dreaming of things that I will probably "never" do to the Surf

I was thinking about the front end conversion and wanted to know is this done using a leaf spring set up only, cos I can't recall seeing any pics of one with coils. Can anyone enlighten me please

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

The leaf spring version is just plain easy when compared to the coil version.

For starters the good old leaf spring does a number of jobs. It locates the axle in position frony to back as well as side to side. They also carry the weight of the front end.

If you go for coils then you need some sort of axle location bars, and at the front of a truck this can get complicated FAST as you not only have to have these bars miss all the vital bits like sumps etc, but also and Most important it has to handle camber, castor and king pin inclanation and changes to these as it moves through the range of travel.

So leaf srings IS the easy option.

regards Nigel
    Monster trucks, BIG,Loud,Fast, What's not to like?

Comment

Thanks Nigel, that explains that Just as a matter of interest, what would be the cost of that? If the front was done, would you have to change the rear to leaf springs?

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Didn't Tony suggest around £1200 to do the front not so long ago?
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Nick V View Post
          Thanks Nigel, that explains that Just as a matter of interest, what would be the cost of that? If the front was done, would you have to change the rear to leaf springs?

Cheers, Nick

You dont have to change the rear - some people on Yotatech do to create maximum flex. but you could run solid axle front with coils in the rear no problems.

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          I think that was supertrux's price mate, Included approx £200 for a self supplied axle - depending if the lads on hpoc were feeling generous

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Like I said, I was only 'dreaming' Anyway, don't think I'm hardcore enough for that!

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Like I said, I was only 'dreaming' Anyway, don't think I'm hardcore enough for that!

Cheers, Nick
              If you wanna see a lifted truck mate, come down an check mine out!

Tis massive now

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

Tis massive now
                Pictures
                Brian

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post

Tis massive now
                  May well do, you ain't a million miles away,

Cheers, Nick

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                    Pictures

Will sort some out in mere moments mate!
                    May well do, you ain't a million miles away,

Cheers, Nick
                    Send me a Pm if you wanna pop round! I can give you my address etc! More then welcome anytime mate.

Comment

Working...
                    X