4 wheel drive problems ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4 wheel drive problems ?

when i press my switch to select 4x4 mode and then reverse with left or right hand lock on steering the opposite front and rear wheels slip and the car seems to try and lock up. same thing happens when i try and go forward with lock on but when in 2 wheel drive mode all is ok apart from it seems to be really loose on back wheels. tyres all round are good not sure what to start looking for to fix this problem........also in 2 wheel mode should the 4x4 selector stick be pulled fully back to H position when normal 2 wheel driving is used

For regular 4wd change, (hi range) leave the transfer lever at the back (towards the rear seats) but for really mucky stuff, push it forward to lo 4 (the truck needs to be in neutral for this). You may have wound the diffs up - there is no centre diff on the 2nd gen, so if you drive it on tarmac in 4wd, you will wind the diffs up and can break them.....

Jack the front up and try to spin the wheels then do the same to the back to see if the wheels will spin - have a search on the forum for a more in depth write up of this.
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Guessing it's 2nd generation (89-95)

Don't drive it in in 4wd on tarmac. It's not supposed to do that and you'll knacker the transmission.

Comment

thanx mudsurfer . when i jack up and spin wheels should the car be in neutral to do thisand if all is ok will all wheels spin freely. how will i know if i have caused any damage

Comment

Originally posted by bob236 View Post
          thanx mudsurfer . when i jack up and spin wheels should the car be in neutral to do thisand if all is ok will all wheels spin freely. how will i know if i have caused any damage
          I think you need to have it in neutral to do this - you can't spin the wheels in Park.....

I think Vagrant No 2 (Rick) has a good write up of this - have a quick search and see what you get
          Too old to care, young enough to remember

Comment

Have to agree with Sancho, should not be driving on anything other than a 'loose' surface with 4wd engaged on a 2nd gen!

Cheers, Nick
            "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Working...
            X