Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on buying a surf please?

Hi,

Just looking at buying a surf / 4 runnner. A friend of mine already has one but could do with a bit of info about them. How do people find the desiel engines? which model is best to go for? I dont want something to slow but yet understand they aint going to be rockets What sort of fuel compsumption do you get and speed etc?

Is there a 3litre desiel engine?

Anything to look for when buying one?

I went to look at a few today..... mainly k and L plate 2.8 desiel engines with between 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

Anything else i should know?

Thanks very much for any help in advance

Alex
    (Mr AL)

surf

hi al,check out the search at the top bar,anything you want to know just type it in and up it comes,prepare to enter a minefield of great info
    1993 2.4 td ssr-x

Comment

surf

you could also click your way thru the many subjects here to find what your after,many questions have asked and answered here,when i joined i didnt have a clue but know i know more thanx to everyone here.
      1993 2.4 td ssr-x

Comment

I can't believe 25 people have read your query and not replied!

These old timers are getting a bit snobby about there surfs (or fat & lazy).

Im a newbie myself so i'll help you the best i can.

Surfs come in 2.4 or 3.0litre. I bought a 3.0 because i was told the 2.4 is a bit sluggish. My 3.0 goes pretty quick for such a heavy car.

There is an issue with head cracking which only seems to apply to 2.4.

Mpg is about 25-35 i think.

The best advice i can give is to shop around as much as you can for insurance. The price differnces can be huge.

Get one now they rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Al
          Hi,

Just looking at buying a surf / 4 runnner. A friend of mine already has one but could do with a bit of info about them. How do people find the desiel engines? which model is best to go for? I dont want something to slow but yet understand they aint going to be rockets What sort of fuel compsumption do you get and speed etc?

I went to look at a few today..... mainly k and L plate 2.8 desiel engines with between 50,000 - 60,000 miles.

Alex
          (Mr AL)
          I have just brought a 3.0 ltr and love it! There not lightening off the line but once upto speed will cruise and pull effortlessly. MPG isn't great, so far i've got 270 miles to £40's worth of diesel. As for things to look for, same as any used vehicle, plenty of research and take your time.

Good luck

Adrian

Comment

Don't worry too much about the 2.4L cracked head stories. There was an issue with a batch in 1991/2 that were recalled and had modified heads fitted. The new type head was fitted on 2.4s from when the design fault was spotted. Like all recalls, some slipped through the net and some owners took their chance.
            Mine has done a 70 mile round trip each working day and features on the list that was recalled. Last time I looked at the cracked heads poll it was 7% of 2.4s cracked, so that leaves 93% (of those that bothered to reply) OK.
            Good luck with your search. You will love it when you have got yours.

Happy Surfing.

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/recall.htm
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Thanks for that Stevo.... Looks like it will be the 3.0L then, Some useful info there........ My current car is a HGT Bravo and thats only running 25 mpg max lol

The search buttons being good

I have now seen 3 models with Black Recaro seats in.... is this a custom thing or was there a model that came with them?

Thanks to everyone else whos replyed so far

Alex.
              Last edited by Mr Al; 12 March 2004, 03:20.

Comment

Thanks for that Stevo.... Looks like it will be the 3.0L then, Some useful info there........ My current car is a HGT Bravo and thats only running 25 mpg max lol

The search buttons being good

I have now seen 3 models with Black Recaro seats in.... is this a custom thing or was there a model that came with them?

Thanks to everyone else whos replyed so far

Alex.
                The SSR-G came with Recaro interior as standard (I believe!) as well as a sun roof. When I was searching for mine, I did see a Surf that someone had fitted an after market set of Recaro front seats and had the rear trimmed to match and it looked pretty good.

I have had my 3.0 for a week now, done over 700 miles in it and it's GREEEEEEEEEEAT!! As for mpg, I would question anything way above 30 mpg as I have been lucky to see 25 mpg and that's with a mix of m/way and town driving - using a light and heavy right boot

Good luck with the search, I'm sure you'll find a good one,

Cheers, Nick
                "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

Go on, get one - you know it makes sense.....

Right then Alex -

SSR - Ltd
                  SSR - V
                  SSR - X
                  SSR - G

I think there is another one in there somewhere. From what I am led to believe the "G" is the top of the range verision with Recarro seats, wood ash etc.
                  The Japanese market is big on different specs (with lots of optional extras) as well as after market equipment. I have yet to find 2 identical trucks on the road. They don't tend to have a sunroof as standard (optional extras again). Most come with a crappy Jap stereo (which, in some cases, can be made to work with a band expander), bin the stereo and buy an after market one (or shove in that JVC you've got in your Turin Ferrari ). Most have window tints, air con, electric windows & mirrors, window deflectors, most are autos (there are some manuals available occasionally). Some come with a TV system installed - the dealers LOVE this and push it as a big issue regarding the high spec - it's BO**OCKS!! they don't work in the UK. I haven't heard of anyone who has made it work yet but ther have been a couple of guys experimenting with old redundant sets
                  Most dealers don't know anything regarding the "head" problem on the 2.4 and others will turn a blind eye and feign innocence if asked.
                  Most of them are not undersealed and will require sealing with Waxoil (there are alternatives available - ELvz posted regarding this a while ago and the product that she recommended slips my mind (so do most things for that matter - I digress ))
                  It ain't a Bravo - having had your car lowered this is going to feel wierd in comparison. It will roll around corners, leap off the starting line like a three toe'd sloth and is occasionally be a bugger to park in multi storey car parks but it is good on visibility, people don't like it pointed at them when you are trying to get out of a side road into traffic, there's loads of room, it's comfortable to drive and I still don't need an excuse to go and drive it. Test drive a few, decide what specs you REALLY want and don't be bothered about a colour (Burgandy, Dark Blue, Silver, Black tend to be the most popular)
                  If you are only turning about 25 in your Fiat a Surf should be around them same. The only thing you will have to do is start saving for all the "extras" you'll want to put on/in it.

Anyway you know where I am and if you want to go a test a few let me know
                  Last edited by rusty; 12 March 2004, 11:37. Reason: Had to go and save a life...............
                  NO WORRIES!
                  Rusty

Comment

Hi Steve .... yep registered yesturday....

I found that garage on talke road who sell loadsa surfs etc.... i spoke to them today so i can go test drive a couple on sunday.... You doing anything for an hour sunday?

I think i will be looking at the 3.0l TD. I relise it will be completey different to driving mine but thats what i want... i feel a change is needed.... and mines about to cost a fourtune in bills with the cambelt etc.

Alex.

Comment

Hi,

Alex
                      (Mr AL)
                      Your pals first name isn't Osama by any chance is it?