Newbies- Use The Search Facility????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbies- Use The Search Facility????

Iv'e noticed a tendancy, for people replying to newbies, to bluntly refer them to the search facility. I was using the search facility today and noticed that some of the recent offenders were the most prolific qustion askers when they were new.
    The thing I like about this forum is that it is a true, "Discussion Forum" and not a reference site.
    I suppose that the ECT and red button stuff is covered in FAQ's.
    I have also noticed that some common questions in the tech section are being ignored. I recently replied to someone whos question was 36Hrs old.
    I try to be as helpful, welcoming new members and guests, as the forum members were to me when I first arrived. I know most do the same. We don't wan't to give newcomers the impression that we are as arrogant as some other owners forums!
    It's only a tiny minority. No names. You know who you are.
    It's only a hobby!

hey, all my bitchin' is accompanied by a or Its a friendly poke in the right direction.

As Helen put it, you gotta be cruel to be kind.

Tony "server space police"

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      hey, all my bitchin' is accompanied by a or Its a friendly poke in the right direction.

go on tony tell him you'll run over his toe
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

If we all know the answer to questions from newbies then surely it makes it much easier to answer and less effort. I agree that this forum should be a place where people new or old to the site can ask questions without the fear of bieng frowned upon and referred to search engines.

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
          Iv'e noticed a tendancy, for people replying to newbies, to bluntly refer them to the search facility. I was using the search facility today and noticed that some of the recent offenders were the most prolific qustion askers when they were new.
          The thing I like about this forum is that it is a true, "Discussion Forum" and not a reference site.
          I suppose that the ECT and red button stuff is covered in FAQ's.
          I have also noticed that some common questions in the tech section are being ignored. I recently replied to someone whos question was 36Hrs old.
          I try to be as helpful, welcoming new members and guests, as the forum members were to me when I first arrived. I know most do the same. We don't wan't to give newcomers the impression that we are as arrogant as some other owners forums!
          It's only a tiny minority. No names. You know who you are.

Nice one K-Phil, searching is for Paj People, we We have been found - hallelujah brothers

Last edited by JimL; 11 March 2004, 22:16.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

You didn't even enter my thoughts TonyN. You have been and continue to be a great help. Some of the curt replies have come from even newer guys than me and I only joined last June/July (old forum Stardate).
            I dont know how many times Jim has posted his picture of Wynns Professional Injector Treatment ( thanks JimL, see you on QVC).
            Like I said. They know who they are. If I have seen a question hanging around for a little while I'll be a post whore and say, at least, "Someone will know."
            We have all been up to our armpits in oil and fag butts, posted a question here and someone has come back with an answer by the time a cup of tea has been consumed.
            At this time of the year someone could be asking a question because they have been outside freezing their arses off trying to do a,"Five minute job," on their daily commute that has turned into a nightmare.
            All I was really trying to do was to get people to cast their minds back, 3,6,9 or 24 months to when they had bought a truck they knew little about.
            Love and Peace Man!
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

You didn't even enter my thoughts TonyN. You have been and continue to be a great help. Some of the curt replies have come from even newer guys than me and I only joined last June/July (old forum Stardate).
              I dont know how many times Jim has posted his picture of Wynns Professional Injector Treatment ( thanks JimL, see you on QVC).
              Like I said. They know who they are. If I have seen a question hanging around for a little while I'll be a post whore and say, at least, "Someone will know."
              We have all been up to our armpits in oil and fag butts, posted a question here and someone has come back with an answer by the time a cup of tea has been consumed.
              At this time of the year someone could be asking a question because they have been outside freezing their arses off trying to do a,"Five minute job," on their daily commute that has turned into a nightmare.
              All I was really trying to do was to get people to cast their minds back, 3,6,9 or 24 months to when they had bought a truck they knew little about.

Love and Peace Man!

err! 0 phil it was me
              [font=Times New Roman][size=3]
              [size=5][/size]
              [/size][/font][font=Times New Roman][size=3][b][i][color=blue]I[/color][color=royalblue]a[/color][color=deepskyblue]n[/color] [color=blue]トヨタの[/color][color=royalblue]波92 のssr[/color][color=deepskyblue][color=royalblue]-g[/color] 擁護者[/color][/i][/b][/size][/font]

Comment

Originally posted by gemini

err! 0 phil it was me
                Apologies Ian, of course it was you and darn good stuff it tis too! (See thread titled ,"Amusing"). At least you bothered to reply. It must be time for bed. Good luck with your new job, with QVC, for which you have been highly recommended . Keep up the good work.
                It's only a hobby!

Comment

Apologies Ian, of course it was you and darn good stuff it tis too! (See thread titled ,"Amusing"). At least you bothered to reply. It must be time for bed. Good luck with your new job, with QVC, for which you have been highly recommended . Keep up the good work.
                  lol ye had me thinkin there K-Phil...

Comment

Working...
                  X