X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There's a new hairdresser in town....

Hi All,

Well I finally took the plunge.

I've been looking for a Surf for a while now, having been forced to sell my beloved '86 Hilux 4X4 pickup due to a new arrival in the family (even with the bench seat in the single cab, four of us would be pushing it). When I got it, it was 14 years old with less than 30,000 km on it and the body was unmarked, suspension lift and FAT tyres). Oh well, I've moved on to bigger and MUCH better things now!

I started looking at Gen 2s pref SSRG (wanted ABS), with about 2.5K to spend. I saw a few (dealers mostly) and was very unimpressed. Not with the Surf, but just the quality of what was on offer. Then I made the mistake of test driving a Gen 3. Now I know this will raise plenty of contoversy out there, but what a machine! After that there was no going back (sorry Gen 2 owners)!

For the 4WD system alone it gets my vote. I drive a 54 plate Hilux 4x4 2.5 D4D pickup for work with a conventional part-time 4WD system (a-la Gen 2s) and show it a wet roundabout or muddy country lane and the back-end is all over the place. Being able to select 4WD on tarmac is essential (IMHO).

So after seeing a few, I took the plunge yesterday on a Green over silver 96/P SSRG (No Recaro). Auto. Imported in 2004 on 75k, now on 97k all mots to prove milage. £3,300. 6 months MOT, no tax (on a sorn-been standing for a couple of months so needs a really good clean/polish).

I collected it this afternoon, and drove back from Glastonbury to Swindon. I could seriously get to like this car!

I really like the styling of both the interior and the exterior of the gen 3, and the ABS and airbags are a nice feature (as this is supposed to be our family car-saftey first). I prefer the conventional tailgate (although I think the Gen 2 looks nice, the lift-up is more pracitical). The engine has really got some power, and when you hoof it, she flys (coupled to the 4WD to get the power down on all those wet roundabouts in Swindon)...awesome!

So I'm going to do the filters and oil in the next couple of days, and give it a good clean, but so far everything works and I reckon I've got a bargain.

Right, enough of War and Peace....

Great forum BTW guys.

ps Anyone know where I can get 12V curling tongs & hair clippers (I like to be prepared)!

Originally posted by Streetsurfer
    Hi All,

Well I finally took the plunge.

I've been looking for a Surf for a while now, having been forced to sell my beloved '86 Hilux 4X4 pickup due to a new arrival in the family (even with the bench seat in the single cab, four of us would be pushing it). When I got it, it was 14 years old with less than 30,000 km on it and the body was unmarked, suspension lift and FAT tyres). Oh well, I've moved on to bigger and MUCH better things now!

I started looking at Gen 2s pref SSRG (wanted ABS), with about 2.5K to spend. I saw a few (dealers mostly) and was very unimpressed. Not with the Surf, but just the quality of what was on offer. Then I made the mistake of test driving a Gen 3. Now I know this will raise plenty of contoversy out there, but what a machine! After that there was no going back (sorry Gen 2 owners)!

For the 4WD system alone it gets my vote. I drive a 54 plate Hilux 4x4 2.5 D4D pickup for work with a conventional part-time 4WD system (a-la Gen 2s) and show it a wet roundabout or muddy country lane and the back-end is all over the place. Being able to select 4WD on tarmac is essential (IMHO).

So after seeing a few, I took the plunge yesterday on a Green over silver 96/P SSRG (No Recaro). Auto. Imported in 2004 on 75k, now on 97k all mots to prove milage. £3,300. 6 months MOT, no tax (on a sorn-been standing for a couple of months so needs a really good clean/polish).

I collected it this afternoon, and drove back from Glastonbury to Swindon. I could seriously get to like this car!

I really like the styling of both the interior and the exterior of the gen 3, and the ABS and airbags are a nice feature (as this is supposed to be our family car-saftey first). I prefer the conventional tailgate (although I think the Gen 2 looks nice, the lift-up is more pracitical). The engine has really got some power, and when you hoof it, she flys (coupled to the 4WD to get the power down on all those wet roundabouts in Swindon)...awesome!

So I'm going to do the filters and oil in the next couple of days, and give it a good clean, but so far everything works and I reckon I've got a bargain.

Right, enough of War and Peace....

Great forum BTW guys.

ps Anyone know where I can get 12V curling tongs & hair clippers (I like to be prepared)!
    Well done sounds a good buy (apart from the road tax )
    Trust your Hound.

Comment

Hi Guys

Sounds exactly like the one I'm after and a good price too. Why can't I find one Anyway the last remark ! Road tax, have I missed something ? I've just got used to £180 Surely the year and model isn't even more !!

Harry

Comment

I think you've missed the point about 4WD on tarmac ........ it's only to be used when you actually need traction to get forward motion - hanging the back out in the wet is part of the experience (and it also teaches the ordinary mortals to have a little respect when the mighty Surf is on the road !)

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Good choice!!!

Another happy 3rd Gen owner
          More Lift.
          More Tyres.
          More Engine.

Comment

Welcome to the nuthouse ,,,,Just watch out for the squirrel

good to see another Wiltshire surfer .....even if you are a hairdresser (did you find the curling tongs in the glove box) . Chris (Summinelse) too his 3rd gen around the plain at xmas and it performed as well as some of the lifted 2nd gens so as long as it isn't pink you'll be ok
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Excellent choice Sir !

will you be joining the Elite Shiney Club ?
              Death rides a Black Horse

Comment

Originally posted by John h
                Excellent choice Sir !

will you be joining the Elite Shiney Club ?

I sincerely hope not !!!!

Bunch of 'kin perverts .......

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Originally posted by Predictable Bob

I sincerely hope not !!!!

Bunch of 'kin perverts .......

Just cos they do all that polishing
                  www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Waste of good playing time if you ask me.

Would rather be playing in the truck or on the bike than po.....polis........p~#@sh~'g. (sorry can't say THAT word)
                    My other cars a QUAD
                    (sv1000spilot on surf forums)
                    http://www.devonandcornwall4x4response.co.uk/index

Comment

Originally posted by STEBBO47
                      Hi Guys

Sounds exactly like the one I'm after and a good price too. Why can't I find one Anyway the last remark ! Road tax, have I missed something ? I've just got used to £180 Surely the year and model isn't even more !!

Harry
                      The DVLA in their infinite wisdom have been classing some of these in band F (Band G for the newest imports) stating that the rules state "date of first registration in the UK" rather than date of manufacture.

I think it's only been affecting the once that require an SVA trst, and to my knowledge only during the last 12 months or so. A friend of mine has a 96 KZN185 and it's taxed the same as mine, on engine size.

is that clear, or have i confused everybody (including myself)
                      Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

I think you've missed the point about 4WD on tarmac ........ it's only to be used when you actually need traction to get forward motion - hanging the back out in the wet is part of the experience (and it also teaches the ordinary mortals to have a little respect when the mighty Surf is on the road !)
                        I think the point is choice. If I want to go sideways round a bend I can switch 4WD OFF, but if I'm just in a bit of a hurry going somewhere with the kids in the back I don't want to arrive with them looking like they've just got off a ride at Alton Towers!

Comment

FYI: Got 12 months tax today, £180. Guess Im one of the lucky ones.

Comment

Working...
                          X