Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• T-Belt light on dashboard?

Hi there,

just bought a 93 Surf 2.4 Turbo Diesel for traveling around Australia. So far i like that car, but never been driven a 4WD and Automatik. I still dont really know when I am in L4, cause all sticker are in japanese..Was hard to set it back to 2WD but I found out and nothing is broken so far

Well, there is a light on the dashboard "T-Belt". There is a sticker that says the timing-belt has been changed at 145.000 km. The car has got 211.000 km now. So does somebody know what could that be? I dont care the light but I just want to know whatīs that for or if something could be wrong or has to be done.

How can I see if the cylinder gasket or head is a modified one? But the car has got already 211.000 km so I think everything would be ok for my trip around OZ.

Cheers, from a ###### german in OZ
    Denny

The T-belt light comes on 100,000km after it was last reset, it comes on purely based on the mileage to remind you the timing belt is due for a change. The recommended interval is every 100,000km or 5 years whichever comes first. So if you've got a reciept to say it was done at 145,000 it's just down to the time, if it was more than 5 years ago it should definately be done again anyway, and it wouldn't be a bad idea to give it a good service and change the belt anyway if you're planning a long tour of oz just as a precaution.

That said you can turn off the light by removing the rubber grommet in the perspex over the clocks, and poking something in to push the reset button. That will reset it and turn it off for the next 100,000km.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Comment

nero279
      can i ask that say i changed mine dead on 100,000km and reset the light
      then drove another 50,000km then decided to do a reset on the ECU
      would the light come back on at 200,000km or 250,000km because or the reset??
      just somthin i been thinkin about.

Comment

I think, but don't quote me on this: 200,000 as i think it's built in to the speedo/odometer unit rather than being controlled by the ECU.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

OK, cheers

Comment

what about head gasket?

Thanks, mates!

I got the details from the car dealer, so I called the previous owner and he told me the t-belt has been changed. But he couldnīt tell me if the head gasket or cylinder has been changed to a modified one.

In my mind, i dont have to be afraid about a blown engine in the future, cause it already passed 200.000 km. What do you think?

Its hard to get spare parts for that car in the red centre, isnīt it? Got a very thirsty landcruiser before, but I sold it. Diesel should be much better for long distance travelling.

Now Iīll take the car to a general service and the brake pads has to be changed. There is a noise only on the left side front wheel.

And fuel consumption is not to bad: city 14 litres per 100km (O/D on?), outside city I dont know yet.

Comment

If you talk about fuel consumption, what does mpg means? I read always something like 23 mpg... Is that miles per g.... ? Is 12 litres for 100km in the city ok?

My one is leaking a little bit from the transmission gear box. But not that much to be worried about it.

And if I accelerate the oil temperature goes up to little bit more than half the scale. After I stopped it, it goes back to the first left quarter of the scale.

Thanks for any advice and thanks in advance for all the help you gave.

Denny

Comment

mpg is indeed miles per gallon, 1 gallon being roughly 4.5 litres

23mpg = roughly 5 miles per litre = around 8km per litre

so at 23mpg you would get about 96km to 12 litres.

So yeah looks like you're getting average to good economy by surf standards

check the picture in this post to see where you should expect the oil guage to sit, what you describe sounds quite normal to me, it does tend to move up and down quite a bit with the engine load
                http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...81&postcount=3
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Thank you very much, nero

My old FJ62 Landcruiser was using 30 litres per 100km on petrol So now with the surf I am very happy.

I have to get a tyre compressor now, put all my stuff in the surf and finaly I can start traveling OZ. Need to find out where all the grease points are and how to get grease into that. Iīll ask a mechanic...

The noise is gone, as the brake pads has been changed.

And if you want Iīll provide some pics soon.

Thank you all
                  Denny

Comment

This'll help you with finding the grease nipples and stuff http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=62

edit: oh, and pics are always good
                    Last edited by nero279; 15 January 2008, 03:06. Reason: requesting pics
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Buddy, as you are in Australia, get onto this site:
                      http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/forum/
                      Everything you need to know about your Surf, Australian conditions, servicing, and future maintenance is there, plus you should get to find other members that will be on your travelling route who could assist with local knowledge.

Comment

Ok, just registered there. Thank you. Maybe there is someone who could give me some advice for the first time on a surf around Sydney.

Well, there is not much time left anyway. Next monday I have to start. Just saw there is a hose from the cooling system leaking. Thought it was oil from the gearbox but had a closer look and itīs just a hose. So not a big thing and lucky I saw that one today...

Comment

Itīs getting worse:

the leaking stuff is not water or oil, itīs diesel. What do I have to expect? Itīs not leaking much, but as my girlfriend was standing next to the car whilst I was about to accelerate, her throusers had small spots of Diesel on it. And underneath the car you can see that something sprinkles, but you can not see it if the car is stationary...

I hope itīs not the diesel pump.

Comment

Working...
                          X