Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi folks

great site yous have heer
    iv just be offerd a k reg 2.4 surf auto 117000 kmh for my vw mk1 golf cabby .but iv heard a few bad things about the head going ,so i thoght i should find out a few things first
    1. what do yous think surf is worth it has 2 bits of rust round the rear window rubber but apart from that its very good
    2. are they realy that bad for the head going ?
    3. are they reliable?
    any help on this would be great thanks
    heers a few pics of the surf

doesnt seem a bad deal........im always swappin cars on ebay,as for head,the 2.4 is prone,and make sure the back window goes up and down properly,but they are reliable m8,id do it

Comment

Originally posted by sl8ter
      1. what do yous think surf is worth it has 2 bits of rust round the rear window rubber but apart from that its very good
      £1500 max
      2. are they realy that bad for the head going ?
      Yes, if it on its orginal head, almost any overheating incedent will result in the head cracking. Park it in the shade
      3. are they reliable?
      Yes
      any help on this would be great thanks
      Nice looking truck, if you can get it for around £1K, deffo worth the money. Check for signs of over heating, no stat, water marks of the hoses, rad, coolant level, etc..... and it'll be fine.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Lovely surf mate and welcome to the forum. You will have lots off fun on hear. As to your questions dont ask me i havnt got a clue.

Comment

the guy that has it seems to think its worth £2200 and thanks for the quick replys

Comment

the guy that has it seems to think its worth £2200 and thanks for the quick replys
            Well it's not.

Comment

Value 1500 ish

2. are they realy that bad for the head going ? I think the honest answer is yes. Plenty dont go but Id personally find it hard to trust a 2.4. It can be fixed forever however for around 1000 with the 3l head from the 2.8 engine ( as supplied by Stevo and indeed others)

3. are they reliable? Apart from worrying about the head, YES. parts are readily available and relatively cheap too. You get a lot of hard wearing heavy duty truck for your money

Theres plenty of 2.4 owners on here who offroad their trucks and roundly abuse them and indeed love them ( in a good way ) but even they will advise you to go forr the 3.0litre if you can. Really great 2nd gen 3.0l can be had for 2500-3000 and minor fixer uppers for less

Bogus
              Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN

Park it in the shade

Last edited by madcampbell; 11 January 2008, 20:22.

Comment

Welcome. Yet another Scottish surfer As mentioned the heads are known for cracking,but if you keep the cooling system in top notch there shouldn't be any hassle. Mine only cracked because one of the large hoses came off and it the system emptied its self resulting in the heat rising. Strangely enough at Asda in Dumbarton!!!! But apart from that my trucks been solid and i've had some fun off road with it as well.
                  www.scottishmudclub.com for scottish events

Comment

Had mine coming onto the 4 years now, split hose 2yrs ago lost a lot of water but no problem or cracked head. Love the truck to bits this forum has loads of good advice

Mark

Comment

are they standard wheels on it ?

Comment

Tonys right as normal ........oh and have a read here,,http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

are they standard wheels on it ?
                          nope,nicer id say they are bein harsh with price,looks clean enough for mileage to be right so worth 1500-1800 ish

Comment

cheers again.the guy says he has hadit for 2 years with no problems with the head so far and he also says the cam belt was done at the 100000k mark but was done before he got it and has not got any papper work to show this was done .should i just stay away from it then

Comment

cheers again.the guy says he has hadit for 2 years with no problems with the head so far and he also says the cam belt was done at the 100000k mark but was done before he got it and has not got any papper work to show this was done .should i just stay away from it then
                              I had a 2.4 for two years with no problem, within days of selling it the head went on the new owner, I had never ever overheated it and was dead careful with the cooling system maintenance. I firmly beleive that the MOT tester ( I sold it with a years test) cooked it a bit on the smoke test, so its not always in your hands.
                              At 2200 Id walk away from it. At something nearer 1500 Id maybe take the chance knowing that if the worst came I could sort it for a grand or so. Its your choice ultimately but theres plenty of these around if your prepared to travel for the right one and I still say go for a 3.0

Bogus
                              Сви можемо

Comment

Working...
                              X