Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• freight train..

just went passed!
    no im not a train spotter... but you got to admire the power of those engines! diesel obviously. you could hear the engine working hard!!
    wonder how many gallons per mile they do.. must cost a shed load!
    my surf gets 27mpg on the bestest best of runs! and that dents my piggy bank!
    is it only me....
    Oh Nana, what's my name?

I always hate the 'call in the petrol station' moments!

yesterday i pulled up an got a "diesel out of use" tag in my face... so i just went on with where i was going.

If i fill it up, it lasts me ages because i dont do a huge amount of driving. But where i only put £10 here £20 there it feels a lot more.

one day i'll have the bottle an patience to stand there an let it empty my wallet

Comment

Try putting sixty quid in nearly every time you drive it. At least you can run the windscreen wipers off the fuel gauge.

Comment

when i had my 325, it was £10 every time i went out. and £37 from sunday to friday on the way home from work.

i must do about 100km a week now at the most. unless i go out for a drive somewhere just to drive.
        i havnt put diesel in my car for about 2 or 3 weeks, and i only put in some veg / derv mix.

rod are you not using veg oil? its a must!
        just go asda and buy 2lt of white spirit, and use roughly 1lt per 12-15 litres of veg + mix with derv.

you dont need to wear a white coat and glasses. i just approximate

sancho do you really spend £60 per week! thats imense.

richard branson once said
        "if you want to be a millionaire, first become a billionaire and then start an airline"
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

oh btw. i hate filling up at petrol stations. what a complete waste of time that is! thats what i love about the surf.
          bigger tank + alternative fuel = less fill ups!
          Last edited by dieselboy; 11 January 2008, 10:11. Reason: i made a stupid spelling mistake - corrected
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
            when i had my 325, it was £10 every time i went out. and £37 from sunday to friday on the way home from work.

i must do about 100km a week now at the most. unless i go out for a drive somewhere just to drive.
            i havnt put diesel in my car for about 2 or 3 weeks, and i only put in some veg / derv mix.

rod are you not using veg oil? its a must!
            just go asda and buy 2lt of white spirit, and use roughly 1lt per 12-15 litres of veg + mix with derv.

you dont need to wear a white coat and glasses. i just approximate

sancho do you really spend £60 per week! thats imense.

richard branson once said
            "if you want to be a millionaire, first become a billionaire and then start an airline"
            Not every week, but it's about 60 quid a tank and that'll take you about 275 miles from full to light being on for a scary amount of time.

I do so few miles it makes no real difference but you get the hump having to stop and fill it up again all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
              oh btw. i hate filling up at petrol stations. what a complete waist of time that is! thats what i love about the surf.
              bigger tank + alternative fuel = less fill ups!
              I put the filler cap under the pump lever to hold it up, then go and sit back down and read the paper until it goes clunk.

I am a lazy lazy man.

Comment

Those things are still a damn sight cheaper than moving freight by road. Trouble is, too many tax perks for HM Govt using HGVs, so they'll wanna keep freight off the trains.

Seen the length of trains plying the east / west routes in the states? Stayed oin a hotel near the mainSan Diego east line in Socorro New Mexico once. You could hear their horn about 10 minutes before they arrived, then they took ten minutes to go past.

Now THAT is a train! They move thousands of tons at once on those things. Awesome sight.
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  Those things are still a damn sight cheaper than moving freight by road. Trouble is, too many tax perks for HM Govt using HGVs, so they'll wanna keep freight off the trains.

Seen the length of trains plying the east / west routes in the states? Stayed oin a hotel near the mainSan Diego east line in Socorro New Mexico once. You could hear their horn about 10 minutes before they arrived, then they took ten minutes to go past.

Now THAT is a train! They move thousands of tons at once on those things. Awesome sight.
                  I'll just get my anorak on.
                  Most of the larger frieght locomotives are built using the same engines as the US ones So could carry the same capacity of frieght, but don't coz of being more convient to use roads. Some bright spark in the mid 60s thought it was a good idea to remove 25% of the rail network, which hasn't helped boost railfrieght transport. And behavior like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6605713.stm isn't much help either.
                  Hold my beer and watch this

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                    Try putting sixty quid in nearly every time you drive it. At least you can run the windscreen wipers off the fuel gauge.

Comment

[wanders in, posts a little train link and runs]
                      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Now don't forget children, these days you need to be green, take the clean running train and leave those dirty polluting 4x4s behind :

Now would your friendly local squirrel be sarcastic ?
                        Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

I've seen a few of these vids. I spent ages watching these things start at work once on youtube.
                          cheers for the link!
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                          X