X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to the welders out there

http://www.welduk.com/Details.asp?ProductID=246

will this run on a normal domestic supply,

and would it be a good buy 2nd hand for £50 but with no gas or bottle.

first port of call would be fabbing a rear bumper with recovery points is it man enough? Obviously i'm gonna need to learn to use it and have a bit of practice and play, I'm completely new to welding but fancy giving it a go, but we'll worry about that later on. What ya reckon? i don't think it'll be around long at that price.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

It will run on a normall supply just make sure nothing else is running on that curcuit else you won't get much power. You can get suregas from a local friendly landlord if your lucky.

If it's all in good working order it's a bargain. spare parts can be deer a new tourch for example is about £60
    Last edited by Tiger; 8 January 2008, 00:07.
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

NO...
      it's rated at 20A... you'd need a separate radial circuit with a 32A connector... just like a cooker or shower requires a dedicated circuit.

didn't we go through this the other week??
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

someone asked something similar and got mixed advice IIRC, I didn't pay much attention at the time as i wasn't planning to buy one yet, but this one has come up cheap, so I figured it wouldn't do any harm to ask again and see if the advice was any more clear cut this time round?
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

check what cable feeds you garage... you may be able to uprate the fuse and then just fit a socket straight off the supply.

if you were to run it off the domestic sockets, you would be best using the kitchen supply, as it's usually on it's own circuit... or... if you have a socket on the cooker switch... that's usually on a 60A supply, although the socket itself is only rtaed at 13A
          Last edited by da SLUG man; 8 January 2008, 12:02.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

We had an extra spur put in for the pond stuff and shed, have to see if i can tap into that as it'd be the easiest one to use, just not sure what it's all rated to. There may even be a spare ring left on the consumer unit thinking about it, have to check this afternoon.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
              We had an extra spur put in for the pond stuff and shed, have to see if i can tap into that as it'd be the easiest one to use, just not sure what it's all rated to. There may even be a spare ring left on the consumer unit thinking about it, have to check this afternoon.

A spur will be connected into a ring main, so it'll just be like plugging into a socket on that circuit.

Comment

Plug it into anything and if it trips just put a bit of foil across the contacts in the consumer unit.

Please don't.

Comment

I got the SIP 140 off surfenstein and it's a good toy. Runs off the shed electrics I put in without any bother. The company in your links recommended too, got a new torch off them, and even I can weld reasonably with it...
                  it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

it wudnt be difficult to run a seperate feed for it?i can guide u thru it if u like?

Comment

I have that particular welder in my shed, if you buy it new it'll come with a bog standard 13a plug, if you read the advert it says, "it's ready to go"
                      Input is 230v -20a (upto 20amps) you should be ok to use on your domestic ring main as long as you don't have to many electric fires running in doors!!!!!!!

Incidentally,,Screwfix do a similar mig welder for under £200 so shop around b4 you buy one

Cheers
                      Paul

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                        NO...
                        it's rated at 20A... you'd need a separate radial circuit with a 32A connector... just like a cooker or shower requires a dedicated circuit.

didn't we go through this the other week??

If it has a three pin plug on which i'am certain it has it will work,

My mig is rated at 200amps and it works fine of a standard ring main

If i'am wrong however you will need a blue plastic female socket which can still be wired into the ring and work fine.

If you ran a radial you could you would only need to use 2.5 onto a 20amp breaker over a max distance 50m
                        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger
                          If it has a three pin plug on which i'am certain it has it will work,

My mig is rated at 200amps and it works fine of a standard ring main

If i'am wrong however you will need a blue plastic female socket which can still be wired into the ring and work fine.

If you ran a radial you could you would only need to use 2.5 onto a 20amp breaker over a max distance 50m
                          If i am wrong then i will come and wire it up for free with a niceic ticket
                          www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

another thing is the duty cycle,(how long it will weld for before it gets too hot and the thermal protection cuts in a shuts the machine down.)
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Working...
                            X