M/T v A/T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M/T v A/T

As my tyres will need to be replaced in the near future, I have decided to change my wheels and go for 33" tyres I have only ever used BFG A/T's which are great tyres, with excellent wear rate, however I have never really been off road I will be going 'properly' off road as soon as I can, so was seriously considering going to M/T's.

I just wondered what is the general opinion/experience of using M/T's against A/T's - I know there will be increased road noise and a slight decrease in mpg.

Will more than likely get my tyres from Micheldever, but any recommendations for alloy wheel suppliers?

All feedback will be mucho appreciated

Cheers, Nick
    "The force will be with you, always!"

I use MT's all year round. Iv had greenway machos and now have bronco grizzly claws. Both perfrom well on and off road wether it be wet or dry. the grizzlys are noisier on road than the machos were but i personally dont care about the noise and would rather have the off road performance. My dad used to use BF AT's and got bogged a few times in the sticky stuff.

Comment

for how slowly and carefully a surf is driven on the road, grip from MTs will do the job on road fine. and off-road are the dogs dangly bits. when i eventually wear mine down i'll go for some big MT's...but for how many miles i actually do in the surf that'll be another 2 years yet!!!
      i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

going from BFG A/Ts to Bronco Grizzlys you will got a shock first time you drive in the wet.

I wouldn't want to use grizzlys as an everyday road tyre, the wear rate would be three or four times the wear rate of the BFGs. They do what they were designed to do well which was be a road legal offroad tyre, not be a good tyre on the road and off of it - there's no such thing.

If finances allow then run 2 sets, a set of road tyres on alloys for general use, and a cheap set of steels clad with m/t remoulds.

It doesn't take that long to swap a set of wheels over and it won't be that long before your wallet actually feels the benefit.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Don't under estimate the increase in road noise from MTs . I made the switch the other way from MTs to ATs as I found the noise just too much to cope with. But I don't go off road all that often, and when I do it's pretty tame stuff - it's really horses for courses.

Comment

the grizzlys do wear rather quickly but i got 27000 out of my machos. the wear factor is just one of those things. when i had cars i ony got 8 or 9k out of tyres so anything above that is a bonus for me.

Gotta go against you on the stopping of the grizzlys in the wet. i have never managed to lock them up, though cornering too fast in the wet is interesting.

Comment

a brilliant all round m/t tyre and i use them on and off road are the kumho kl71s,good in the wet,outstanding off road and low road noise,and they look good cosmetically,a few of us use them on here and im sure you will get a thumbs up from many.for around £80 a corner and thats for a 33x12.5x15 from roughtrax.you cant beat them.apart from the bfg a/ts some say they are the only tyre you will ever need, but at twice the price.
              Last edited by surfenstein; 7 January 2008, 14:22.
              www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                a brilliant all round m/t tyre and i use them on and off road are the kumho KL71s,good in the wet,outstanding off road and low road noise,and they look good cosmetically,a few of us use them on here and im sure you will get a thumbs up from many.for around £80 a corner and thats for a 33x12.5x15 from roughtrax.you cant beat them.apart from the bfg a/ts some say they are the only tyre you will ever need, but at twice the price.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

im planning on trying these next. Will probs be in the nr future too the way these grzzlys are going.

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                    (my finest scooby voice)hehehehehehehehehehehehe hehe.what an idiot i am.fat finger syndrome.cheers nero.
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Unless I’m mistaken, the Broncos are mainly remoulds
                      Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

the broncos are remoulds as are machos. i was a bit jubious on remoulds to start with and would never have had any on a car but i gave the machos a go and they way great, as are my grizzlys. so now i dont mind going for a remould.

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                          a brilliant all round m/t tyre and i use them on and off road are the kumho kl71s,good in the wet,outstanding off road and low road noise,and they look good cosmetically,a few of us use them on here and im sure you will get a thumbs up from many.for around £80 a corner and thats for a 33x12.5x15 from roughtrax.you cant beat them.apart from the bfg a/ts some say they are the only tyre you will ever need, but at twice the price.
                          Looked at the Kuhmos and look good but they are a directional tyre and don't really want that. More than likely will go for BFG again and if I remember correctly Micheldever were doing them for a good price,

Cheers, Nick
                          "The force will be with you, always!"

Comment

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.p...d=m26b0s1676p0

one of the cheapest places around. Order them online and then then just get your nearest tyre place to fit them.

BFG's will outlast most other tyres! for the few quid more it costs...

I take it your surf is all lifted to fit them on?

Comment

Unless you plan to do a lot of mud plugging the BFG A/T are fine off road , i did the strata florida on bfg a/t's and alotof byways .....i just use the m/t's on the plain
                              www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Working...
                              X