Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3rd gen V6

Anyone know if they only came in auto?

The 2.7 is available with a stick, so I'd assume so.

But can't find one yet on the 'net!
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
      The 2.7 is available with a stick, so I'd assume so.
      That was my logic, but I can't find evidence of one. Looking at this, I'm beginning to doubt they even exist:

http://specs.amayama.com/toyota/hilux_surf/1997_8/

Comment

If this is to be beleived it would appear not.

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/toyota/hilux_surf/

Another little nugget of Surf info produced thanks to Sanchos thirst for knowledge

Bogus
        Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus
          Sanchos thirst for knowledge
          How do you know it's not a sudden inexplicable thirst for curling tongs?

Comment

Coming out ???? A hairdresser emerging from the pupa that is a 2nd gen ??

Bogus
            Сви можемо

Comment

your like my mate - he wont get a surf because he cant find a decent manual one. he is now gone off them all together. he is the one that showed me them in the first place!
              i know manuals are probably better because you have more control over the gearing,
              but in an auto:
              no risk of gear crunch (due to half asleep driver or clutch)
              no clutch issues (slipping, overheating, smelly)
              easier if towing or getting out of sticky situations
              a more comfortable driving position since you dont have to be in the same spot to press the clutch
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy
                in an auto:
                no risk of gear crunch (due to half asleep driver or clutch)
                no clutch issues (slipping, overheating, smelly)
                easier if towing or getting out of sticky situations
                a more comfortable driving position since you dont have to be in the same spot to press the clutch
                I agree with all of the above, but would still prefer a manual. It's just a taste thing really, and I prefer to change gears just because it makes driving a little more interesting.

My first two surfs (the 2.4 and my current V6) were both bought as much as an experiment as anything else. I got the 2.4 to see if I could live with a big 4x4 and to work out whether it was going to be useful to me. The answer to both was yes, but I couldn't stand going so slowly. So I got the V6 to be the same but faster, which it is. Now I have decided I like surfs, I want the one that's right for me. That means petrol, the right colour (let's not even go there), manual and as fast as possible. I am also now willing to pay proper money for a decent one rather than buy a wreck and either sustain it or let it die, which is what I have done so far.

I tried a manual V6 second gen before I got my current one and it was much much better to drive. That particular one made weird engine noises though. I'm just trying to work out whether to search high and low for a V6 manual if I get a new one or if I am going to have to settle for a 2.7. Fortunately, TRD do a supercharger for both

Comment

Seen these Pajero Evolutions 280 Ps (275hp) as standard

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mi.../1997_9/17469/

Another option maybe a 3.4 Landcruiser 90, which I'm 99% came in a manual although most sold were autos.
                  I Love Wales

Comment

Originally posted by 24Seven
                    Seen these Pajero Evolutions 280 Ps (275hp) as standard

http://english.auto.vl.ru/catalog/mi.../1997_9/17469/

Another option maybe a 3.4 Landcruiser 90, which I'm 99% came in a manual although most sold were autos.
                    That Pajero is naughty, but it has to be a Toyota. I'm surprised you dared put that up.

Problem with a landcruiser is that it's a UK car so will probably cost more and doesn't have the perceived (to me) exclusivity of a surf.

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho

Problem with a landcruiser is that it's a UK car so will probably cost more and doesn't have the perceived (to me) exclusivity of a surf.
                      The Petrol do tend to be a fair bit cheaper than a Diesel, but finding a manual maybe tricky anyway as most I have seen are top spec autos
                      I Love Wales

Comment

Well I’m pleased to see you are thinking of sticking with proper fuel rather than those noisy, slow and stinky diesels
                        Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                          Well I’m pleased to see you are thinking of sticking with proper fuel rather than those noisy, slow and stinky diesels
                          The only problem I have with diesel is, as Chillitt has pointed out, they will be banned in London in two years time. Secondly, I can't stand the lack of throttle response, which is another reason I want to go back to manual.

Comment

Working...
                          X