No announcement yet.

emigrating?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With the current exchange rate, you could take a looooong vacation/holiday in the US for not a lot of money.

As a US citizen, I have to say it really frustrates me to see how our govt makes it so difficult for the people who want to come legally,
    but rolls out the welcome mat for everyone south of the border to breeze in with no permission or papers or job or anything.

If you really want to come to the US, Id suggest learning a few spanish words and just fly to mexico or Canada and sneak across.

Give a fake tax number to an employer and you are good to go.

IF you get caught in the US illegally (very small odds of that), normally what they do is issue you a notice to (dis)appear. Much like a traffic violation, Which means you are free to go, and supposed to come back in a few weeks for your immigration hearing, where you try to convince a judge to let you stay.

There are currently about 25 million people in the US illegally, and the govt does nothing to catch or deport them, unless they are pretty blond Caucasians.
    http://www.sott.net/articles/show/14...isiting-the-US
    http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15711

If you can look like a mexican you'd have no worries.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...757511,00.html
    A Mexican man goes to jail 13 times, prison once, and registers in Weld County as a sex offender nine times before he is finally picked up by immigration officials to be sent back to his home country.

Another Mexican kills a 31-year-old Denver father in a hit-and-run accident. Despite the immigrant's decade-long record of drunken driving and probation violations in Colorado, local officials had never turned him over to immigration agents.

Nationally, ICE admits it checks the legal status of only about 60 percent of immigrants who commit crimes serious enough to land them in U.S prisons

Or come as a student and see how you like it.

Most americans are rude, quite a bit different from what I experienced when I visited the UK in 2004. Everyone I met in the UK was extremely polite.

Also I think religious employment is exempt from most rules.
    Maybe you could get a job in IT for a church or some other org.

I think there is some twist in the law where you cannot work for someone else, but you CAN start your own business or something.
    Last edited by roundhouse; 1 February 2008, 15:20.

Comment

Much the same here mate.

We get all these Africans coming over on "holiday" to then turn up at a hospital with all these illnesses and get them treated free of charge.

A woman a few weeks ago from Africa had overstayed her visa by more than a year and was being treated for kidney dialysis and cancer. Immigration removed her from hospital to send her back on a plane and everyone was complaining that her rights were infringed.

Then you have the biggest immigrant problem that is called EUROPE. We get all these Eastern Europeans. Most are OK, but there are no checks and there are loads that are criminals that rob and pilfer.

There was a programme on radio 4 the other day. Some woman was in Libya. She was speaking to all these illegal immigrants. She asked them where they wanted to go and they ALL said the UK as you get free housing, health care and money.... It's all ar*e...

Comment

That's really interesting what you're saying there roundhouse, my dad was working/living in florida flying charter lear jets and when his visitors permit expired the refused to renew it even though he and his wife had bought an appartment, paid their taxes etc etc....

he's now living/working in the Caribbean (st.vincent) and having a thoroughly agreeable time....
        Toot! Toot!

Comment

Originally posted by M35A2 View Post
          Hello mate.

I'm emigrating to Canada sometime this year. I've already got a confirmed job offer with a Canadian transport company. I'm moving to Alberta. How far have you researched it? I see you are an IT bloke. Have a look at this Canadian government skills shortage list. If your job description is on here then you will be able to apply.

http://www23.hrdc-drhc.gc.ca/2001/e/groups/2.shtml

This is the same site but the header page. Have a good dig around.

http://cic.gc.ca/english/index.asp

according to this :2281 Computer Network Technicians
          i can apply!

cisco systems is worldwide pretty much so as long as i pass the courses it should be all good

what will you be transporting? will you be a lorry driver? good on you mate
          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

There was a programme on radio 4 the other day. Some woman was in Libya. She was speaking to all these illegal immigrants. She asked them where they wanted to go and they ALL said the UK as you get free housing, health care and money.... It's all ar*e...

while i hate that they come over here etc, i hate our government more. its them that just lets them in.

if i was in a country that wasnt doing as well as another, and that other country had free housing, benefits and healthcare and i was a poor scrounger looking for an easy way out then i would most likely emigrate there as well..

its why i need to get out before it all goes belly up and the well off end up being stuck too because of taxes and stuff to cover for it
            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by roundhouse View Post
              With the current exchange rate, you could take a looooong vacation/holiday in the US for not a lot of money.

As a US citizen, I have to say it really frustrates me to see how our govt makes it so difficult for the people who want to come legally,
              but rolls out the welcome mat for everyone south of the border to breeze in with no permission or papers or job or anything.

If you really want to come to the US, Id suggest learning a few spanish words and just fly to mexico or Canada and sneak across.

IF you get caught in the US illegally (very small odds of that), normally what they do is issue you a notice to (dis)appear. Much like a traffic violation, Which means you are free to go, and supposed to come back in a few weeks for your immigration hearing, where you try to convince a judge to let you stay.

There are currently about 25 million people in the US illegally, and the govt does nothing to catch or deport them, unless they are pretty blond Caucasians.
              http://www.sott.net/articles/show/14...isiting-the-US
              http://www.dvorak.org/blog/?p=15711

If you can look like a mexican you'd have no worries.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drm...757511,00.html
              A Mexican man goes to jail 13 times, prison once, and registers in Weld County as a sex offender nine times before he is finally picked up by immigration officials to be sent back to his home country.

Another Mexican kills a 31-year-old Denver father in a hit-and-run accident. Despite the immigrant's decade-long record of drunken driving and probation violations in Colorado, local officials had never turned him over to immigration agents.

Nationally, ICE admits it checks the legal status of only about 60 percent of immigrants who commit crimes serious enough to land them in U.S prisons

Or come as a student and see how you like it.

Most americans are rude, quite a bit different from what I experienced when I visited the UK in 2004. Everyone I met in the UK was extremely polite.

Also I think religious employment is exempt from most rules.
              Maybe you could get a job in IT for a church or some other org.

I think there is some twist in the law where you cannot work for someone else, but you CAN start your own business or something.

cheers for all this info!
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by dieselboy View Post
                according to this :2281 Computer Network Technicians
                i can apply!

cisco systems is worldwide pretty much so as long as i pass the courses it should be all good

what will you be transporting? will you be a lorry driver? good on you mate

Yes mate, I'm a Truck driver over here and in Canada there is such a shortage that the government (or should I say the provincial government) fast tracks you over. I could if I wanted be over there in two months if I never had all the stuff I need to sort out first.

I will be driving a brand new Freightliner Cascadia or if they still have them when I go over a Freightliner Columbia for a company based in Alberta, 1hrs drive from the Montana border, 2hrs drive from Calgary and 1hrs drive from the Rocky Mountains. I will be transporting chilled goods from Canada down to the US, tip, reload in the States and then back up to Canada.

Here are some house websites for you to look at. It will give you an idea of what the prices are.

Click on the province you are interested in and then the town or city. http://welist.com/

http://www.mls.ca/

Here is the truck I will be driving. Let it load as it's a PDF file.

http://www.freightlinertrucks.com/me...iaBrochure.pdf
                Last edited by M35A2; 2 February 2008, 16:39.

Comment

You could make good money shipping Toyota diesel engines & parts over to the states.

Especially the flywheels and bellhousings for any yota diesel and for the 1UZ Lexus 4.0 petrol V-8.
                  Totally unavailable here.

The exchange rate would not make any profit taking the $$ back to the UK, but if you spent it in the states, you'd do ok.

You could ship over a few engines and pay for a long holiday with the profit.

You could do great if you found some product thats common in the states but not sold in the UK.

When we were in the UK in 2004, we'd ask people we met at our concerts, "What can I send you from the states."

Clothes and Jolly Rancher candy were the most requested items.

I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles getting a title changed and a guy in line behind me was an Aussie citizen and was shipping cars back home.

He said Ford Mustangs and Pontiac Fieros had the best profit spread.
                  He said Aussie citizens could import one car every 3 years or something like that with little or no import duty, so he was paying college students to allow him to do the paperwork in their name.

I dont know what yank vehicle would have the best profit in the UK, maybe a Hummer H-3 ?

With the current exchange rate stuff in the states is all on sale for 50% off.

Comment

You could make good money shipping Toyota diesel engines & parts over to the states.

Especially the flywheels and bellhousings for any yota diesel and for the 1UZ Lexus 4.0 petrol V-8.

The exchange rate would not make any profit taking the $$ back to the UK, but if you spent it in the states, you'd do ok.

You could do great if you found some product thats common in the states but not sold in the UK.

When we were in the UK in 2004, we'd ask people we met at our concerts, "What can I send you from the states."

I was at the Department of Motor Vehicles getting a title changed and a guy in line behind me was an Aussie citizen and was shipping cars back home.

He said Aussie citizens could import one car every 3 years or something like that with little or no import duty, so he was paying college students to allow him to do the paperwork in their name.

I dont know what yank vehicle would have the best profit in the UK, maybe a Hummer H-3 ?

I'm into Military Vehicles. I want to buy an M35A2 (deuce and a half, look at my avatar) when I get over there. They sell for around £6-7,000 here, but I can get them in the States for $3,000. I would then have to pay for shipping which I think would be expensive. Or i could concentrate on the parts side of it.

We are thinking of buying a place quite close to the Rockies, as although work would be about an hours drive away as I'm doing OTR it doesn't matter. We are thinking of getting a place with a fully finished, separate basement and renting it out for people that want to be close to the Rockies on their holidays. Just an idea and we will have to see when we get there.

Just a case of finding out what the demand is. Can't you buy any Toyota bits in the States from the dealers?

Comment

Why not go somewhere more exotic? I was offered a job in Sri Lanka when I worked in IT.. kind of wish I had taken it now.
                      -=I swear to drunk I'm not god=-

Comment

Just a case of finding out what the demand is. Can't you buy any Toyota bits in the States from the dealers?
                        Toyota doesnt sell diesels in the states.

neither do any of the other companies except 7 litre engines in trucks. They all sell diesels in the Rest of the World but not here.

Comment

...but you CAN start your own business or something.
                          chatting to a colleague yesterday and one of his friends has been living in new york for quite some time. she has bought a $1.2million apartment and has two shops in newport. she came back to uk so he says to sort out a visa to go back and they have refused it. they have told her to give someone power of ettourney (is that how you spell it?) and for them to sell everything for her.

also.how can I sneak across? lol
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

don't mention the Hummer word lol.. the best one is the us army one but people have told me different..
                            I do want that new camaro though. may be a set of turbo mufflers on it too
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

If you have a trade, then you can now get into NZ up to the age of 45, and Canada have raised their age limit to 54! because they are desperate for skilled tradesmen, and don't want any non skilled imigrants screwing up their social system.

Don't know about the US, but you would probably need to marry an American citizen to get in.
                              Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                                If you have a trade, then you can now get into NZ up to the age of 45, and Canada have raised their age limit to 54! because they are desperate for skilled tradesmen, and don't want any non skilled imigrants screwing up their social system.

Don't know about the US, but you would probably need to marry an American citizen to get in.
                                Nope you just sneak in and stay as long as you like.
                                Stay long enough and you get to be a real citizen.

The next president, be it Obama, Hillery or McCain will give amnesty to all illegal immigrants. If you get in soon, you can get it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X