Front hub main seals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front hub main seals?

I've had a grinding sound coming from the front drivers side wheel for a couple of weeks now. It's been accompanied by a grinding feeling in the brake pedal. I have just dismantled the front hub, and it looks like the front hub main seal has disintegrated, which has probably damaged the bearings and caused the grinding sound. I bought this one from Roughtrax in July when I replaced both the front wheel bearings when one detonated its self.

I kept the bearings and seal that had been fitted previously from the side that had been OK. Just looking at it now, the old seal is a metal one with a rubber gasket inside. The Roughtrax replacement is plastic/rubber. Is this right? The metal one does look like it's stronger and less likely to fail.

Anyway, I'm going to refit the old bearings as I need the Surf running tomorrow if possible as we're going in search of some mud.
    Paul </Slugsie>
    Immortal.so far!

I fitted roughtrax front bearings and seal yesterday.

The seal is plastic but it has a steel core (unless it is very very hard plastic!).

A problem I had a couple of months ago was with the bronze bushes. Grinding noise as you describe. Turns out they whole lot just needed complete strip down, clean out all the crud and reassemble with fresh grease.

Maybe try that?
    Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

For the seal to go so quickly is strange 5 months for a bearing seal is a very short life was it nice and flush when you fitted it?

Could you have damaged it when seating it?
      Brian

Comment

It is possible that it got damaged, can't rule that out.

Another question, what grease should I be using. When I last did the bearings I used DX3 multi-purpose Molybdenum grease. I'm now wondering if it's the wrong type. I also have a tub of Castrol LM grease which does specifically mention wheel bearings. Can't seem to find any information as to which I should be using.
        Paul </Slugsie>
        Immortal.so far!

Comment

Here mate this will do the bearings

http://www.toyotahilux.com/index.php?doc=16&vid=1027

But the stuff you have should also do fine
          Brian

Comment

Don't use CV grease. Use a HTB (High Temp. Bearing) grease.

Nev

Comment

Grease rated around -30 to +300 degrees will do and I think the roughtrax stuff is.
              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie
                I've had a grinding sound coming from the front drivers side wheel for a couple of weeks now. It's been accompanied by a grinding feeling in the brake pedal. I have just dismantled the front hub, and it looks like the front hub main seal has disintegrated, which has probably damaged the bearings and caused the grinding sound. I bought this one from Roughtrax in July when I replaced both the front wheel bearings when one detonated its self.

I kept the bearings and seal that had been fitted previously from the side that had been OK. Just looking at it now, the old seal is a metal one with a rubber gasket inside. The Roughtrax replacement is plastic/rubber. Is this right? The metal one does look like it's stronger and less likely to fail.

Anyway, I'm going to refit the old bearings as I need the Surf running tomorrow if possible as we're going in search of some mud.
                Paul seem to recall some body on the Forum a while ago fitted a pair of wheel bearings from Roughtrax an had to recall koz of faulty bearings Kits...

there's always a Payback .... Ya just never see it Comin !!!!
                Buncefield Burner

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie
                  Grease rated around -30 to +300 degrees will do and I think the roughtrax stuff is.
                  Temperature specs are not the only thing to consider when using grease. There are many types. CV grease is for CVs not wheel bearings.

Nev

Comment

Working...
                  X