overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dieselboy
    how about i put a new head gasket on my engine that lifts the head off the block by about 2".....
    bound to get 3.0 then

Yeah, that'll work!

Comment

how about i put a new head gasket on my engine that lifts the head off the block by about 2".....
      bound to get 3.0 then
      I don't think it'll make it any worse

Mark.......
      Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

ive been looking at delicas today and they are quite appealing
        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

I was going to get one, to replace the LR, found some real corkers. then I met a fella driving one and asked what there like..... not good! very heavy drinkers and iffy quality, particularly the electrics!

Mark.......
          Let taste be the enemy of art!

Comment

is there a mod you can do to make the truck stay in its last gear?

if im on an A road or keeping at just above 40, the truck is in the last gear and it pulls nicely. but if it goes up a slight hill or too much below 40, i still feel i have power because it pulls but if i press too hard it changes down gear and doesnt pull any harder unless i put my foot down more.

set backs of an auto i suppose. but was wondering if there was a way i could wire up a button or switch that would make the ecu keep it in its last gear until i turned it off - would just have to remember to turn it off or else the 2.4 would be slow (very)
            Isnt that what the ECT button does or at least leves it in the last gear for longer. Or don't 2.4s have one?
            Trust your Hound.

Comment

Originally posted by Taliesins
              Isnt that what the ECT button does or at least leves it in the last gear for longer. Or don't 2.4s have one?
              no, the ect button changes up gear quicker for less throttle.
              so if normally you would need 3/4 of the pedal to be pressed down before it changes up gear (eg from 4th to 3rd) then with ECT on, you would only need 1/2 throttle for the same result, therefore giving you better overtaking power.

i want a button or switch that is the opposite of ECT. i want the gearbox to hold the 4th + overdrive (or whatever goes on inside) without changing up so that i can cruise on motorways or A roads better

its just annoying when your accelerating nicely and then the car changes up and you stop accellerating unless you put your foot down. it would save fuel if i could stop it doing that
              Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Just face facts Dieselboy (or should that be Vegoilmixboy) the 2.4’s are sloooooooow… if you want more power or a higher cruising speed buy a 3 ltr. or fit a V8!

Oh, did I ever mention that the 3.0 V6 Petrol Surf has plenty of power for climbing hills and will cruise happily at motorway speeds
                Mine WAS a 150 bhp V6 and ran on PETROL

Comment

no, the ect button changes up gear quicker for less throttle.
                  so if normally you would need 3/4 of the pedal to be pressed down before it changes up gear (eg from 4th to 3rd) then with ECT on, you would only need 1/2 throttle for the same result, therefore giving you better overtaking power.
                  Nope. ECT will hold on to the gear for longer - i.e. let you reach higher revs before it changes up, so it makes the engine a bit more responsive at the cost of a bit of fuel.

Comment

Tony is talking about coming back down the gears, ie stopping it from changing out of overdrive to 3rd just cos you ease off a touch for a second or two.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279
                      Tony is talking about coming back down the gears, ie stopping it from changing out of overdrive to 3rd just cos you ease off a touch for a second or two.
                      That's what he started off saying but seems to have lost the plot a bit now. I think, all in all, he wants a semi-auto transmission.

Comment

Originally posted by PDR
                        Just face facts Dieselboy (or should that be Vegoilmixboy) the 2.4’s are sloooooooow… if you want more power or a higher cruising speed buy a 3 ltr. or fit a V8!

Oh, did I ever mention that the 3.0 V6 Petrol Surf has plenty of power for climbing hills and will cruise happily at motorway speeds
                        Yaarrr

im not worried about performance a whole lot. mine does over 90 no prob. just takes a few minutes to get there. but its not that,
                        it when im doing like 40 - 60mph with not a lot of throttle, it changes out of overdrive and the revs go up for no reason. the car should stay in the last gear so that i can use the power where the revs are at that point

and yep i use vegoilmix to help with the fuel costs!

diesel is better than petrol anyway
                        Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                          That's what he started off saying but seems to have lost the plot a bit now. I think, all in all, he wants a semi-auto transmission.
                          huh

sorry, did i get my ups and downs mixed up
                          Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                            Nope. ECT will hold on to the gear for longer - i.e. let you reach higher revs before it changes up, so it makes the engine a bit more responsive at the cost of a bit of fuel.
                            thats correct - bit like sports mode.
                            Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

Working...
                            X