Electric underfloor heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric underfloor heating

Anyone fitted a diy kit for electric underfloor heating ? I am replacing our wooden kitchen floor due to it being weak and uneven as in a previous thread on here a while back. We now thinking about a tile floor instead of lino as seen some nice tiles at my bosses house in his kitchen . These might be cold so thought might fit electric underfloor heating as sold in kits in DIY stores like Wickes etc .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
    Anyone fitted a diy kit for electric underfloor heating ? I am replacing our wooden kitchen floor due to it being weak and uneven as in a previous thread on here a while back. We now thinking about a tile floor instead of lino as seen some nice tiles at my bosses house in his kitchen . These might be cold so thought might fit electric underfloor heating as sold in kits in DIY stores like Wickes etc .
    hi rik,cant say i have fitted any electric underfloor heating but my mate has in his house i can get the low down on it for ya if you want.
    Last edited by surfenstein; 30 December 2007, 09:16.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ive looked into it before and find all the guidelines really easy to follow, best way is to cut channels into the concrete or you can get ones that are mounted in theyre own supports and can have flooring layed right on top of it.

It is possible to get stuff for under carpet but that causes a good breeding ground for bugs. We already have it in our kitchen (there when we moved in) and i think its great!!!!!!!

http://209.200.76.40/default.aspx?m=...FQl_Hgod2Ug1Ow
      Without Surf And Unhappy

Comment

i think you can get the kit for heating for under the wooden floor cant remember where. though but i put wooden floor down on landing n in kids bedroom n that for me was a struggle but i think i did a good job on it

Comment

Originally posted by The Lang-Shankit Scunner
          Ive looked into it before and find all the guidelines really easy to follow, best way is to cut channels into the concrete or you can get ones that are mounted in theyre own supports and can have flooring layed right on top of it.

It is possible to get stuff for under carpet but that causes a good breeding ground for bugs. We already have it in our kitchen (there when we moved in) and i think its great!!!!!!!

http://209.200.76.40/default.aspx?m=...FQl_Hgod2Ug1Ow

thats the type carl the matting one

Comment

I would go for a wood burning stove with a heat exchanger .......electricic will become very expencive
            www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

re underfloor heating

Hi Rick

There are two types of kit.

Ones with a single wire and ones with a pre woven mat.

There isn’t much between them as you tend to be a kit to do a set area.

The loose wire can be laid with runs closer together to achieve a warmer area.

You have to make sure the area under the floor is suitably insulated so the warm air can rise through the tile and not sink into the floor.

You can do a search for Myson and Warmup as they both do kits.

Another possibility is a wet system linked to your central heating. Again you can buy a single room pack or Hepworth do a thermostatic valve to fit into a run of (barrier) pipe to achieve the same effect.

Hope this helps a bit

Steve

Comment

better still if you have central heating just run the pipes around the floor under the tiles.
                www.overfab.uk

Comment

Ive fitted all sorts of underfloor heating, if you are tiling the floor then you just lay the matting down and tile straight over it. It's all down to floor preporation and what material you have. by the sounds of it you have floor boards if so you need to replace it with 3/4 wbp ply or wire and latex the floor boards either one plenty of unibond and flexi addative
                  www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Just had a quick look on Eblag for an idea , but had some crap off there recently. Just wondered if anyone had some feedback on any particular make . New base floor will be 3/4" plywood with ceramic tiles on top. The kits seem to be on a mat as some of you have said which seems to look realitivy easy to fit

Comment

Originally posted by surfenstein
                      better still if you have central heating just run the pipes around the floor under the tiles.
                      central heatings all right for a new build or extension but not very good as an afterthought due to thicknesses required
                      www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Just had a quick look on Eblag for an idea , but had some crap off there recently. Just wondered if anyone had some feedback on any particular make . New base floor will be 3/4" plywood with ceramic tiles on top. The kits seem to be on a mat as some of you have said which seems to look realitivy easy to fit
                        screwfix have the cheepist ive come accross and very user friendly programmers. Have had hundreds of meters of thier stuff and not one problem. you must do a resistance check before and after then you can't go wrong
                        Last edited by Tiger; 29 December 2007, 23:12.
                        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger
                          screwfix have the cheepist ive come accross
                          Good idea , had some good stuff off them before . There is a new depot near us so can collect .

PS I was in Rickmansworth today . Sister live in Croxley Green (Posh cow)

Comment

i have had experience of the wickes under floor heating system, it is relatively easy provided you stick to the instuctions and prime the sub-floor for the tape that holds down the heating wire, but don't expect it to heat a room up its really only for taking the chill off the tiles above it so you can walk about in bare feet if thats what turns you on. real under floor heating is done with hot water through pipes via a manifold ( which costs an arm and a leg) and is designed to heat the air up to a height of about 2.4 mtrs (8 ft) so its pay your money and take your choise but do some internet research before making a decision.

Comment

small world ive got a place in norfolk to. any probs PM me i'am also an nic electrician
                              www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X