Info required

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info required

Hi looking to purchase a surf went and test drove a 91 2.4 and a 93 2.4 ssrx. Both were auto but i found them both very very slow can anyone tell me is there much difference in the 3.0 and does anyone have power figures or stats for all the models and also reliability which is the better of the models . And is it only 3rd gen which came with intercooler? Really liked the one with recaro seats alot fresher looking inside.

I am do a fair amout of towing heavy stuff usually car transporting and also looking something for a bit of off road i do a fair bit of shooting and my 97 tdi A6 estate finds it tough of the road mpg and insurance isn`t a problem thats why fancied one of these

Originally posted by L18 CGL
    Hi looking to purchase a surf went and test drove a 91 2.4 and a 93 2.4 ssrx. Both were auto but i found them both very very slow can anyone tell me is there much difference in the 3.0 and does anyone have power figures or stats for all the models and also reliability which is the better of the models . And is it only 3rd gen which came with intercooler? Really liked the one with recaro seats alot fresher looking inside.

I am do a fair amout of towing heavy stuff usually car transporting and also looking something for a bit of off road i do a fair bit of shooting and my 97 tdi A6 estate finds it tough of the road mpg and insurance isn`t a problem thats why fancied one of these
    hi welcome to the surf emporium of pleasure,the 3.0ltr has far more power than the 2.4 and does roughly the same mpg.you could intercool the 3.0 ltr or even the 2.4 for under £100,it quite a simple mod really.http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/24lt.htm
    http://www.toyotasurf.asn.au/techsite/30lt.htm
    Last edited by surfenstein; 29 December 2007, 20:48.
    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Welcome to the nut house ..............just watch out for the squirrel
      have a read here as well ..............http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/info/faq.htm
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

hi campbell and welcome, i'm relatively new here aswell, i opted for an intercooled 3 ltr tubo diesel and i think it is superb and a lot of fun and i only use it for work.

Comment

If a second gen 3.0 is 130bhp what HP is the 3rd gen putting out. Cause what i can gather 3rd gens come with a cooler on them..
          Last edited by L18 CGL; 30 December 2007, 12:16. Reason: added

Comment

Isn't the power basically the same on the 3rd gen, but the intercooled version produces a bit more?

Its all about torque with these though mate. BHP means little offroad. Towing though, I guess its important then, but then I'd be looking at a 4.2 LC like the one Boyo was dribbling over
            Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yeah know what you mean about the torque. Not really to fussed on the LC. I am just looking a good work horse that can take me places my A6 can`t.

Sorta made my mind up on one of thses just wanna find the rite car now 3.0, 2nd gen, auto with the recaro chairs. In my eyes interior is very important cause lets face it you don`t sit on your bonnet or roof and its the part of the car you always see. I like the way one with recaros have the dark doors cards and seats bit easier kept.

Just to check i thought it was ssrx came with the recaro seats but i noticed alot don`t have them is it the ssrx-ltd i am looking for instead?

Comment

SSR-G is the one you're looking for.

However, all other optional extras are a bit randomly spread across all models.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys. But just a few more qustions how much trouble does the dual mass give on the manual ones. I bought the sister a lovely wee rav 4 02 d4d she had it 3 months and flywheel went on it. I work in the motor trade and have owned various toyota models so i know my local toyota parts guys very well so they sorted me out with solid fly wheel and clutch kit for about £450. I would hate to buy manual surf and have to spend prob guts of £1000 on fixing clutch so is an auto bit better in terms of reliablitity? I would probaly prefer auto for towing anyway but would just like to consider all options.

Comment

I'd go for auto anyway. Opinion here suggests they're easier to drive offroad, and I personally think they're nicer on the road. Auto boxes make for a more relaxing drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                      I'd go for auto anyway. Opinion here suggests they're easier to drive offroad, and I personally think they're nicer on the road. Auto boxes make for a more relaxing drive.
                      aint that the truth.auto boxes are far superior on and off road.imho
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi, I do a lot of heavy towing. I had an auto 2.4 and found it wasn't really up to the jobs I wanted it to do. I test drove a 3.0 auto and a 3.0 manual and opted for the manual. I'm very pleased with it. Personally, with the auto, I found I wanted to change gear a lot sooner than the auto changed itself when I was towing.

Although one of my other cars is a Corolla auto and it's a joy to drive.

ps And if you break down in a manual you can be towed.
                        Jacqueline

Comment

If you break down in an auto, the AA have to bring a flatbed rather than tow you.

Comment

Working...
                          X