pc restarts itself 15/20 times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pc restarts itself 15/20 times

my pc now trys to start about 15/20 times then finally it loads up. any idea whats going on?

What have you done to it lately?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      What have you done to it lately?
      not alot m8 it was doing it before xmas then it wouldnt do it for a while but now it doing it all the time?

Comment

I've had PC's in for repair for this problem and it's normally the power supply unit. If the voltage fluctuates it causes the PC to reboot. Sometimes the power unit 'settles' and finally the PC boots up. If it is this problem it's only a matter of time before the power supply goes completely.

'Tis better to sting than to be stung!

Comment

Originally posted by Copycat
          I've had PC's in for repair for this problem and it's normally the power supply unit. If the voltage fluctuates it causes the PC to reboot. Sometimes the power unit 'settles' and finally the PC boots up. If it is this problem it's only a matter of time before the power supply goes completely.

could it be a trojan? n i get sometimes a sign saying something .exe cant write to memory?

Comment

maybe its pirate-stormed
            PayPal for stickers : scuffsnscrapes@hotmail.com

Comment

Don't think it could be a trojan unless it's embedded in the boot block and then I doubt if the computer would boot at all. Have you got anti virus software installed? If not download Avast from here - http://avast-download-now.com/index....one&sub=&kbid= and chose the personal version, it's free. Once installed do a full virus check on any hard drives you have installed.

Comment

Don't think it could be a trojan unless it's embedded in the boot block and then I doubt if the computer would boot at all. Have you got anti virus software installed? If not download Avast from here - http://avast-download-now.com/index....one&sub=&kbid= and chose the personal version, it's free. Once installed do a full virus check on any hard drives you have installed.

i have nod32 on mine

Comment

Should pick up any trojans then mate. When was the last time you did a full virus scan and defragged the hard drive?

Comment

Should pick up any trojans then mate. When was the last time you did a full virus scan and defragged the hard drive?

just before xmas defrag said i didnt need it doing n did full virus scan n nothing m8.
                    but will virus scan pick up trojans etc? dont i need another programme?

Comment

not all virus scans pick up viruses. trojans are spyware not viruses

Comment

Originally posted by sledge
                        not all virus scans pick up viruses. trojans are spyware not viruses
                        Avast does virus, spyware and adware mate. That's why I recommended it.

In the context of computing and software, a Trojan horse, or simply trojan, is a piece of software which appears to perform a certain action but in fact performs another such as virus. Contrary to popular belief, this action, usually encoded in a hidden payload, may or may not be acutely malicious, but Trojan horses are notorious today for their use in the installation of backdoor programs such as snuff films. Simply put, a Trojan horse is not a computer virus in most cases. Unlike such badware, it does not propagate by self-replication but relies heavily on the exploitation of an end-user. It is instead a categorical attribute which can encompass many different forms of codes. Therefore, a computer worm or virus may be a Trojan horse. The term is derived from the classical myth of the Trojan Horse.

In the field of computer architecture, 'Trojan Horse' can also refer to security loopholes that allow kernel code to access anything for which it is not authorized.

Last edited by Scorpion; 29 December 2007, 13:39.

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm
                          just before xmas defrag said i didnt need it doing n did full virus scan n nothing m8.
                          but will virus scan pick up trojans etc? dont i need another programme?
                          Try this mate.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/

It's a dedicated trojan scanner and removal program and it's free.

Comment

In the field of computer architecture, 'Trojan Horse' can also refer to security loopholes that allow kernel code to access anything for which it is not authorized.
                            Not that I'm one to be pedantic as a rule, , but that is generally termed as a bug or security exploit. The trojan is generally the means via which to access that bug/exploit.

With regards to the switching on/off problem, either fans or P.S.U, (as Jim mentioned), by the sounds of it, especially if it's happening more from cold. Personally, I'd whip the side panel off first and make sure all fans are rotating freely.

Comment

Have you trying restoring back to an earlier date when your pc was working fine?

Comment

Working...
                              X